Football Manager 2009 - Who are you going to be? What are your plans?

I looked for a similar thread without success, i hope its ok to start this.

Anyway, im not just starting this thread for the sake of trying to get millions of replys for no reason! I really want to know because i always get so excited over the FM games and then as soon as i get it i dont know what to do, so i need some of your ideas so i get ideas, comprende?

On the previous FM i started as everton, got 4th then 15th then offered england job, won world cup and retired and never played it again.

This time round i want to be a club where success will not come immedeately but with hard work. So here's my plan...

I currently plan to start as Coventry City (although i may easily change my mind if i get any better ideas from this board later on), not the worst team in the world - not the best. They are somewhere towards the bottom on the Championship in real life so im hoping my expectations will be no higher than mid table for my first season, i plan to build a steady youth foundation onto my club which will hopefully grow as a team until eventually they are ready to make it bigtime. Im thinking after 9 years of game time i will be able to win the premiership, thats my goal.

Now you...?

• Replies 171
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Lol i wouldn't start as Coventry City, i live in Coventry and if the expectations of the fans/ club are correct in the game, then you will be sacked as every Cov fan i know thinks its the clubs god given right to be in the Premiership and they hate any manager who doesnt get them there and if the board of the club is true then there all idiots who will throw you out at any sign of a hiccup, so personally i'd go for another club at there level but this is due to my personal prejudice of the club i supported and got fed up with because of all the stupid decisions and lack of success.

Personally i'll start either unemployed or at a lower league team as its ages in a football simulation that i started as LLM, and hope that over a career of 30 or so years to get the club as high as possible.

tooti, thanks for the warning - i might start a game as them in the demo and see what the expectations are with that, if they're high i wont even bother.

and VA, the milan clubs do interest me slightly but id probably win the league in my first year and then get bored really quick after that. I definately do not want to start as a top league team personally.

1. Leeds united-be gud to get them bak to prem.

2. Villa- challenge to make the young team into a top 4 team.

3. Man city- so if having money can make them best team in manchester.

thats my order for this years game aniway mate.

i always start either in the blue square north/south (Braintree is a good challenge) or in the championship with my fave team Sheff Utd- good board who backs you and provides money etc, good set of players and a lot of premiership quality (Beattie for eg) but in the end its all up to you as to who you go for...

thanks, lufc4lyfe.

which reminds me, i accedently lied in my first post - i did play as Leeds United as well i won my first 10 games but the board were considering sacking me coz of my bad league position (the game never took the points deduction into account did they) i got to the championship in my 2nd season but it was so hard and i just kept losing and got relegated again lol. oh well.

i always start either in the blue square north/south (Braintree is a good challenge) or in the championship with my fave team Sheff Utd- good board who backs you and provides money etc, good set of players and a lot of premiership quality (Beattie for eg) but in the end its all up to you as to who you go for...

Excellent idea! I was thinking of being Sheff Utd actually they really do have some premiership quality players i may start a game wih them in the demo and see what the expectations are like.

Well i have a few games planned out. My first game will be with Atletico, a club i very much follow.

And second will be with Wigan, im a West Ham fan so their is no favouritism i just like players such as Zaki, Valencia and Palacios and it will be good to work with the good players and try to build a solid squad which i hope given 3-4 years will be able to push for the top 4.

Blyth Spartans!

I always get them in FM08 unemployed games, wonder if I will in 09!

I'll try Swindon and Liverpool in the demo, if either of those games appeal I'll start a proper one in the full fat game but if not I'll go unemployed.

"(Beattie for eg) " - LOL :)

I'll probably start with a big team just to get used to the new interface and features. Then for my career game I probably pick my home town team Dundee who are without a manger. I'll show the board they should have picked me instead of the hasbeen they are currently interviewing. :D

In all FM games I always start off with Benfica. I normally play for about 5 seasons to get a hang of the game and the feel to find the right tactics. Once I start to get a bit of success and start to get comfortable I then start up a new game and play as a smaller team in Portugal to see what I can do with them. Mostly I would choose Nacional or Braga. After that I go back to Benfica lol

Firstly try and get norwich back to the big time, which with there current squad may be a struggle.

I'll probably start in the lower leauges with King's Lynn and play a carrer game.

A game in the MLS maybe with san jose just because of Huckerby.

And have a game on the continent.

start off with chelsea and sell all the well known players and then create a squad with an average age of 21 or less! always a fun challenge as you have the pressure of the media but have the money to buy youngsters.... gonna have a look at Jack Wilshere, that Barnsley guy, Walcott, Di Santo, Vela, Mancienne, the young Man Utd wing backs, Jonny Evans etc!

I think I'll start with Atletico, Try to sign Banega on a permanent basis, battle to keep aguero and build from there. I'll aim for a top three finish to start and see how i can improve on that. I always have a few games running at a time, so maybe I'll be Betis on another file, try to eventually get them into the champs league. Then there's Chelsea, Ajax, Barca, Porto, Hoffenheim, Slough Town, AFC Wimbledon, Millwall, or Portsmouth.

It's difficult to find a game that can hold my interest, without being too easy. I always like to have a few names in my squad i recognise, so i've always found LLM seasons pretty disappointing, but hopefully FM09 could be the game to change that around!

Archived