Non-destructive recovery and anti-piracy

A thought..

If you have a problem and are forced for whatever reason to reinstall Windows, but have the choice of non-destructive recovery, thereby keeping your applications in a backed-up folder on your HD, and FM09 remains present, but as *I think* happens with '08 it 'is not correctly installed', would an uninstall/deletion of this unrunnable application return a license to you?

Or, would you have to reinstall over the existing installation, thereby losing a license for good?

:confused:

Yes, but if you're uninstalling a program that isn't properly installed, or is not properly recognised by Windows (maybe missing .dll files or something), then does it still happen?

I'm not sure, but I'll give a guess that you would lose your licence if that happens.

Everyone keeps talking about this authentication but I haven't seen the information about it from SI. Could someone send me a link please?

Miles gives us a small bit of information about it in the first post in this thread :thup:

Now, there's also been a lot of talk on the forums about copy protection, and how we are planning to handle it this year, particularly in light of recent press with certain other titles and Securom, which we have used in the past.

We have followed those stories closely, but already had our plan in place for this year, and are happy with the choices that we have made.

I am therefore happy to be able to announce today that, for the first time in the Football Manager series since we started making the game, you will not require the disc to be in the drive each time you start the game if you are playing on the PC! Instead, you will need to authenticate your game.

This can be done in 3 different ways.

The first is via STEAM, as mentioned above. By authenticating through STEAM, you will automatically receive patches as soon as they become available. The second is a simple online transaction, which will take less than 30 seconds. The third, for people who are not online, is via telephone registration, with local call numbers in each country where we release the game, and this will take about 5 minutes to complete from our experience in testing.

We highly recommend the online authentication processes, as they are quick and easy.

Despite the license agreement that comes with the game stating that you can only install on one machine, we are well aware that many people like to play the game on personal laptops, as well as desktops, and our licenses for Football Manager 2009 will work in a very similar way to ITunes.

This means that you will get 5 licenses for personal use, so you can play the game on up to 5 computers as long as you own them, and the owner of the game is the person playing on said machines. If you uninstall the game on one of the PC's you have the game installed on, you get that "seat" back.

As an example, say you have installed the machine on your work laptop, your work PC, your home PC and your home laptop. You would then have used up 4 out of your 5 uses of the game. Your home desktop has some problems, so you decide to re-install windows on it. As long as you uninstall the game from that machine first, you will get that license back, and when you re-install, will still only be using 4 of your 5 installs.

Please note that the license when you purchase the game is explicit that you are only allowed to use the game for your own personal use.

Also please note that on uninstallation of the game, everything is removed from your machine, including all remnants of the copy protection system which we are using, which was a bugbear of many of the other systems available on the market.

MAC users will still have the same protection system as with other years, although we are hopeful that this will change in the coming years when someone comes up with a similar system for MAC's.

So, what we've aimed for, and have hopefully succeeded on, is a system whereby the legitmate purchaser of the game will notice the copy protection even less than in previous years.

Archived