Can We Just Clear Something Up!

People are dreaming up scenario's about authentication so here are the facts:

Authentication for FM09.

When you buy the game either in the form of CD or STEAM and install it you HAVE to authenticate ONCE only, after that you do not need the CD in the drive, or if by STEAM you need STEAM running but can do in offline mode so you don't need an internet connection.

If you play a network game with your brother and you each have a machine in your bedroom then "technically" you need to both buy a copy of the game and install and authenticate it.

BUT you can buy one copy and install it on both machines (you can say to SI that they are both your machines) thus taking up 2 of your 5 seats and authenticating them both and you can both play single player games OR network games.

When you buy the game you get 5 installs and SI will allow you to install on different machines so the above scenario is legit.

When you install the game IT ASKS YOU how you want to authenticate SO if you bought the game with a CD but want to authenticate using STEAM you can to get the latest updates faster.

You will be able to download updates via SI's website as per normal if you authenticate via phone or internet.

You can set STEAM not to patch the game automatically.

So your options are to authenticate in 3 ways:

1) a 5 minute phone call

2) over the internet by typing in a code

3) using STEAM

And that is it ever until you reinstall OR use a different machine

SI have confirmed that 9 years down the line you will still be able to authenticate over the internet.

STEAM can be put into offline mode and does not consume CPU or memory and does not take over your PC.

MAC's will need the CD in the drive as this authentication system will not work with them.

Feel free to add to this list but please people stop making up scenario's or worrying, it is pretty simple.

Have they really promised 9 years of support?

Just for the record, I have no problem with the authentication system myself, I'll register online and then get stuck into the game. :thup:

No not 9 years but indefinitley, they just quoted 9 years as an example.

SI have said that even if the company who are looking after the online authentication goes bust we will still be able to authenticate on the internet...

SI have confirmed that 9 years down the line you will still be able to authenticate over the internet.

That's just ridicules. No one including SI knows what will happen 9 years into the future. If they did then they would hardly need to release a patch containing recent transfers, as they sometimes do. Wouldn't they just use their amazing skills and hardcode the upcoming transfers from the start? :-)

SI needs to make these promises to get people to buy the game, but in reality no one knows if we can activate the game 5 or 10 years from now. And that's a Fact!

So, on a Mac, it will be exactly the same as in 08, yes?

Yes. This is the first time in my life I ever envied someone with a Mac :-)

That's just ridicules. No one including SI knows what will happen 9 years into the future. If they did then they would hardly need to release a patch containing recent transfers, as they sometimes do. Wouldn't they just use their amazing skills and hardcode the upcoming transfers from the start? :-)

SI needs to make these promises to get people to buy the game, but in reality no one knows if we can activate the game 5 or 10 years from now. And that's a Fact!

None of us know for sure if man has landed on the moon. Fact. The moon landing debate and the 'lets hammer this into the ground with no evidence just to be difficult' debate are among the most annoying to grace this earth (and oddly connected). Fact.

:thup: homerjnick - hope more people read it :)

None of us know for sure if man has landed on the moon. Fact. The moon landing debate and the 'lets hammer this into the ground with no evidence just to be difficult' debate are among the most annoying to grace this earth (and oddly connected). Fact.

:thup: homerjnick - hope more people read it :)

Guessing in 9 years or more, very few of us would still be using the 2009 version of the game, unless SI have indicated this is the end of the line.

Erm, we don't actually know yet if 2 registrations from the same CD key can play a network game with each other...

Well they can be both your PC's so when you install the game and authenticate on both PC's that it is, no more authentication and you have used up 2 out of 5 seats.

Will SI be able to tell if your playing a single player game or a networked game and stop that? I doubt it.

But if you are playing networked with 2 PC's in your house then someone else is using the other PC so "technically" they must have their own copy of the game.

The 5 seat license applies to the individual who buys the game and not a household or machine.

People are dreaming up scenario's about authentication so here are the facts:

1) a 5 minute phone call

Can you post a link to where SI have confirmed these two as facts?

I mean the 5 minutes and the 9 years time scales.

The game doesnt need the dvd in the drive to run, so im assuming yes you need to authenticate.

that seem silly really as if it the original game it should be able to tell, but then if you need it so be it.

thanks for the quick reply mate.

What I wanna know, and that I dont think got answered in the sticky thread is..

If we recieve the game a day early, will we still be able to authenticate it when we get it or will we have to wait till the 14th

Only something someone from SI can tell you im afraid.

Erm, we don't actually know yet if 2 registrations from the same CD key can play a network game with each other...
Can you post a link to where SI have confirmed these two as facts?

I mean the 5 minutes and the 9 years time scales.

Yup, the quote is:

"This can be done in 3 different ways.

The first is via STEAM, as mentioned above. By authenticating through STEAM, you will automatically receive patches as soon as they become available. The second is a simple online transaction, which will take less than 30 seconds. The third, for people who are not online, is via telephone registration, with local call numbers in each country where we release the game, and this will take about 5 minutes to complete from our experience in testing."

Take from: http://community.sigames.com/showthread.php?t=53492

The other issue, here is a quote from Miles:

"Err - I've already answered this when someone asked whether they would still be able to install the game in 5 years time and authenticate it, and I answered "yes"."

taken from page 3 of: http://community.sigames.com/showthread.php?t=53492&page=3

Yup, the quote is:

"Err - I've already answered this when someone asked whether they would still be able to install the game in 5 years time and authenticate it, and I answered "yes"."

So wouldnt the fact actually be

SI have confirmed that 5 years down the line you will still be able to authenticate over the internet? :D

Yes. This is the first time in my life I ever envied someone with a Mac :-)

Well, since neither you or SI can tell the future, I would be going for SI knowing they at least have some kind of plan involved in giving that guarantee, rather than being driven to fear by a cynic with no access to any official information whatsoever. I can't tell the future either but I know that if I wear clothes everyday it will be unlikely that I will ever be naked on the street. Hopefully, but I can't tell the future, right?

So wouldnt the fact actually be

SI have confirmed that 5 years down the line you will still be able to authenticate over the internet? :D

He said 9 later on. And then he made it clear it was forever.

Does anyone know if some of us happen to get the game a little bit earlier would we be able to authenticate before the release date?

Only something someone from SI can tell you im afraid.
He said 9 later on. And then he made it clear it was forever.

Does anyone know if some of us happen to get the game a little bit earlier would we be able to authenticate before the release date?

Thank you.

Miles did say later on like 9 years but he does promise indefinatley.

For those that are wondering how the phone activation will work, the way it works for Windows (and I assume it will be very similar for FM) is that you enter your CD-Key from the back of the manual into the installer. It will then give you a phone number to dial, and a code on screen. This code is generated from a combination of your CD-Key and your unique PC details. You dial the phone number and it prompts you to enter the code using the keypad. It then reads you back another code which you have to enter in your game. Assuming all codes are entered correctly, your game will be activated. The codes generated are unique to your PC, you cannot use the same code to activate the game on another PC.

For those that are wondering how the phone activation will work, the way it works for Windows (and I assume it will be very similar for FM) is that you enter your CD-Key from the back of the manual into the installer. It will then give you a phone number to dial, and a code on screen. This code is generated from a combination of your CD-Key and your unique PC details. You dial the phone number and it prompts you to enter the code using the keypad. It then reads you back another code which you have to enter in your game. Assuming all codes are entered correctly, your game will be activated. The codes generated are unique to your PC, you cannot use the same code to activate the game on another PC.

Also true of the internet authentication where you will enter your code from the manual/box and hit a button and that will authenticate for you.

Also true of the internet authentication where you will enter your code from the manual/box and hit a button and that will authenticate for you.

True in the sense that you enter your CD-Key, but with internet activation, all the code generating and swapping is done automatically, not by the user. I think that's what people wanted to know.

True in the sense that you enter your CD-Key, but with internet activation, all the code generating and swapping is done automatically, not by the user. I think that's what people wanted to know.

Groovy!!!!

Can I clear up something?

Supposed I had FM09 in a computer. So I have 4/5 installs left right? Then I delete FM09 in my com. How then does STEAM know it is deleted, and that STEAM returns me the 5/5?

I guess there is some sort of process at the end of uninstalation that gives an additional activation.

I don't understand what the authenticating thing is supposed to achieve.

Theoretically 5 different people will be able to install the same copy of FM09 onto 5 different computers and all 5 people will be free to play the game as they wish. As long as not more than one of said people are online at the same time, no one will find out that more people than the owner is playing the game.

Is this correct?

I don't understand what the authenticating thing is supposed to achieve.

Theoretically 5 different people will be able to install the same copy of FM09 onto 5 different computers and all 5 people will be free to play the game as they wish. As long as not more than one of said people are online at the same time, no one will find out that more people than the owner is playing the game.

Is this correct?

Nope,

Miles said they can tell when someone uses the same CD but is nit the first person who registered.

So, just to clarify, SI looked at Spore's DRM, and liked how that whole thing worked out for EA, and decided to implement it in FM?

Yes that's exactly what has happened. We were going to be lumbered with the system used in previous years up until a few months ago when SI saw the reaction to the Spore DRM and decided to get something similar in place.

Or, SI have been considering it for a while and it might well have been one of the first things they thought about rather than a rushed effort in a nigh on impossible amount of time.

I really don't know which is more likely. Do you?

Yes that's exactly what has happened. We were going to be lumbered with the system used in previous years up until a few months ago when SI saw the reaction to the Spore DRM and decided to get something similar in place.

Or, SI have been considering it for a while and it might well have been one of the first things they thought about rather than a rushed effort in a nigh on impossible amount of time.

I really don't know which is more likely. Do you?

Right im sorry, but you sir are a prize pudding.

They are not using the same DRM its not even similar.

Install an old call of duty, it wont let it install without a cd key, its not much different from this.

An important opening post, very useful for people I think - one further clarification though... FM09 will be on DVD, not CD :)

Also, it sounds as though the phone activation route will be available in all countries where the game is being sold, and will be an automated process, i.e. you won't have to actually speak to anyone, just go through the steps. That should make things quicker, and easier to get through. I may be wrong, but I'm fairly sure that's the case.

The DRM with FM09 is really quite forgiving - you get the 5 installs, but you get one back if you uninstall. That's NOT the case with Spore, as far as I'm aware, or with any other DRMd PC game lately. It's also unique in that SI have promised indefinite support for the install limit side.

In a world where many times more people pirate FM each year than pay for it, I'm afraid steps like these are necessary.

Cheers for clearing this up. Very informative post.

Can't see what all the fuss is about to be honest.

It will be really harsh on the lucky few who get the game early that they can't play it until the 14th though. I wonder how many non forum users will get the game from a shop selling it early only to get home and find they can't play it.

Right im sorry, but you sir are a prize pudding.

They are not using the same DRM its not even similar.

Install an old call of duty, it wont let it install without a cd key, its not much different from this.

I always find that reading people's posts before replying goes a long way and should be essential before taking shots at them. Fancy taking another look at the post I was replying to and the whole of my reply?

That the DRM exists on this version of the game makes a lot more similar to Spore than previous versions of FM, does it not?

Archived