The hardest position to buy for?

Which position do you think is hardest to sign players for?  

273 members have voted

1. 1. Which position do you think is hardest to sign players for?

• Goalkeepers
    • Defenders
    • Midfielders
    • Strikers
    • I don't struggle at all

Probably midfielders, with prolific strikers a close second. I've spent £32m on Huntelaar and he was not good in the first season. As for midfielders, it's sometimes a case of them having good attributes but still being crap. My first team is awesome though.

Goalkeepers are by far the easiest, great keeprs are easy to spot and you can structure easily: 1st choice is your general #1 stopper, second choice is either a good veteran keeper or a rising 21-25 year old, and the third choice is an under-21 star for the future.

Always wide players for me, both full backs and wingers. Unless you buy them really young they're always way out of my price range. No matter how rich my team becomes I always give myself limits on spending. I'm Scottish, hence really really tight even with fake money.

Right wingers at the moment, for me, but it tends to change as the game progresses, twenty years ago they were easy to come by, wheras now there seems to be a worldwide surplus of world class left backs!

It works in stages, and I'm sure in time some'll appear on the scene...

Just like in real life it's full backs for me. It's not that they aren't out there, it's simply that they are expensive. I generally go with Chiellini and Rafinha or Alves (if I can get him for cheap or offload enough other players). I do play as Liverpool generally however so I already have an awesome midfield and a fantastic striker. Second on the list would be a right winger, there's not a plentiful supply of them that fit the bill. Quaresma does a great job, though I'd never want him at my club in real life. I often find it's hard to replace Gerrard when the time comes as well, my best go at it is Kroos in my current save. Not as good as Gerrard, but is still young and improving.

Defensive midfielders - mainly because I'm incredibly demanding of what I want from them. AC Milan have had Gattuso and Pirlo each providing particular attributes - I tend to look for a two-for-one player, a tenacious mongrel with wonderful playmaking, setpiece delivery who has pace, stamina, never takes a backward step but doesn't pick up too many bookings. In other words, it reflects me being unrealistic with that role in the game. They always end up being crucial for me but often end up with relatively poor average ratings.

Fullbacks also are a problem - which probably reflects reality more closely.

I can never seem to get world class defenders at realistic prices, it's pretty infuriating.

Agreed. I eye up a decent looking centre back, valued around 3-5 million only for other clubs to buy them for triple that. Not just the very best ones either, but just good centre backs go for way too much. That plus the fact that I'm tight so won't pay too much.

I personally find fullback to be the most difficult position to find good players for on pretty much all levels. Goalkeepers can also be quite hard to come by sometimes.

More specificly wingers. Its probably my tactic but they always blow hot and cold. Their form could read 88789 or it could quite easily read 67655. I am never able to find a two consistent wingers. Silva was probably the best on FM 08. He would rarely play less than a 7 but others it was always difficult and Silva cost's a fortune.

Archived