Give nicknames?

Do you ever give nicknames to your players? What are they?

There are 2 reasons that would make me change the name of someone.

1. The name is too long and too complicated.

ex. Vladimir Kistolokinovsky (don't remember his real last name)---> Vlad

2. To make it sound like he is someone from the country.

ex. I had this Brazilian guy Léo Bertos (his real name is Leonardo de Matos Cruz) playing in Marseille. He was chosen to play for the French National team and turned to French Nationality so I changed his name to Léonard Matos which sounds way more French.

I've got a habit, it's quite strange but I've been doing it since FM06 or such.

At the start of a season there is an intake of youngsters(obviously), and one or two is always singled out to have the most potential. I nickname them their real name(or shorter if a long name), but with a * at the end. Just so I can keep track of them over the years :)

I also use it on some players with really long names. But only if their name gets shortened with ... on certain screens. I then just give them a short nickname.

I don't know if anyone else does this but in a couple of games I have renamed the regens in my youth squad as similar players I know in real life so I can remember who's who and what's what until they make it into the first team, by which time I'll remove the nickname.

For example I get a tall English striker come through the ranks who my assistant expects to become a decent Premier League player. The name Phillip Dunbarton means nothing to me so I'll rename him Phillip Crouch.

Just helps me to familiarise myself with my regens and remember the kind of player they are as there are so many unfamiliar names.

Guest roberto922

I have systems like putting * for good youth prospect, *top youth prospect, # for must buy, ~ for players to watch, [name] for players I want to sell and {name} for players that I want to keep.

i normally just do it if start to call them something different in my mind when watching games. an example is a german guy i had at real madrid who was called robert brill, but in my mind i kept calling bobby brill so changed it to that. done it for a few players. got a french regen with real name michel dabo but nicknamed him micky dabo.

When i was playing CM 01/02 i was about 12 and thus comedy names were VERY amusing to me and my cousin as we'd abuse the Germany team and Andy Cole.

German team:

Oliver Kahn changed to Oliver K*nt.

Michael Ballack to Michael B*llocks.

Oliver Neuville to Oliver Noballs.

Carsten Jancker to Carsten Wa*ker.

Etc Etc.

As for Andy Cole i do believe this was the time when he arrogantly demanded to be refered to as 'Andrew Cole' and also he'd always score against me and my cousin, thus he was changed to the oh so hilarious Andrew 'Dickhead' Cole.

Hahaha etc.

Good times.

It'll be funny to put some kind of nickname AI to FM09. If you give them nicknames like "Pink Bunny" or "Sweety", they will lose moral and won't renew contracts :D

You didn't know they had this in game? If you give a player the nickname "Miles Jacobson" they're attributes all change to 20, likewise if you give them the nickname "Ter" then that player will have an all canary yellow kit in game.

I always do it with Brazilians. Using the handy name generator.

Sometimes I'll do it with Spaniards and the Portugese. But only for the truly great, or the ones who's name would obviously be shrunk on the shirt (hello Xavi).

Otherwise, nope. Even those incredibly long Polish guys.

I tried with my name (don't laugh Arsenal_2111 :D) and got Arumuganesinho!

I tried with my name (don't laugh Arsenal_2111 :D) and got Arumuganesinho!

If only you could see how much I am laughing!

You've got to have him(or her;))as a hidden player for IFK '09, perhaps a staff member:D

Actually, it's better than my name...

With my first name, middle name and surname it is James Paeto, which is a bit weird.

Using just my first and last name it is Jamaldo.

Talk about boring!

If only you could see how much I am laughing!

You've got to have him(or her;))as a hidden player for IFK '09, perhaps a staff member:D

Actually, it's better than my name...

With my first name, middle name and surname it is James Paeto, which is a bit weird.

Using just my first and last name it is Jamaldo.

Talk about boring!

Jamaldo sounds like a spread :D

I will put him in somewhere, I'll make him the part Swedish, part Brazilian, part Sri Lankan dazzling forward :D

Would if some real players were Brazilian?

cristiano ronaldo becomes Cristianaça, fitting

john terry - Teca

harry redknapp - Redkna

tony adams - Adeca, yes, yes he is

alex ferguson - Fergusundo, or Sir Fergusundo, quite scottish still

wayne rooney - Wayniano

arsene wenger - Wengisco

phil brown - Brauro Pau

joe kinnear - Joildo, what a **** name

steve mcclaren - Mcclara

jermain defoe - Jermaaldo

michael owen - Owito...I think he should adopt this name