Difference between Medium/Large Database and selecting leagues etc

OK this is one thing that has always confused me.

I'm aware you can select small, medium, or large database on the game but I’m not sure exactly what this means. When you begin you can also select how many leagues are playable so how does the database size affect that? For example, does having a medium database mean I can’t select as many leagues as a large database?

Sorry if this has been asked before and I appreciate any help you can give me.

No, I had about 80% of the world's players loaded and over 40 leagues loaded,

the game ran fine, if you don't have a similar set up you're really missing out because with only a few leagues loaded the game makes biased regens and you see odd things happening like Peru winning the world cup, you also get a much easier European challenge with only a few leagues loaded.

So if you want a realistic world with proper European competition then you must have at least 20 major leagues loaded, it also helps with feeder clubs because your players play real matches when you send them to feeder clubs and you get to see their progress in every game and what rating they got.

I also like going to some random country and checking out the league stats to find players for example I can go to the French second division and see who has the most goals, after that I can look at the Serbian league and see who has the most goals, this way I make transfers based on performances and not just buy looking at stats.

I've read some informal test at a FM fansite a while ago that listed the number of data-sets for the different database-sizes you can choose. Surprisingly, the differences between small and medium in that test were less than 1% of additional data and less than 5% between small and large databases. What I've always wanted to know but have been too lazy to test myself is how the chosen database size is influencing regens.

Don't believe these values blindly, but I've always seen the number of leagues as the real limiting factor. If you're really interested in the differences, there's software like the Genie Scout out there that can display the number of players and staff in your savegame.

Personally, I've tried to limit myself to less than 50 leagues in 15-20 countries on a large database, because more is taking too long to calculate. It's trying my patience as it is, but with a 3+GHz CPU and plenty of RAM it's bearable.

how many league could i run with 3gb of ram and a 2.4ghz quad core? want to run more leagues myself

I've got 4gb of memory and a quad core CPU overclocked to 3.8ghz. I ran with a large database and around 60ish leagues on 08 and it was pretty quick, but I'm not sure how it would cope with all leagues running

I've got 4gb of memory and a quad core CPU overclocked to 3.8ghz. I ran with a large database and around 60ish leagues on 08 and it was pretty quick, but I'm not sure how it would cope with all leagues running

Can someone explain how you go about overclocking your processor, how it works and whether it is a safe and worthwhile thing to attempt. I'd be really grateful, especially if you could make it as simple as possible for someone who knows little about this kind of thing (i.e. me!)

crouchaldinho, overclocking is quite a bit off topic but to answer the basics of your question: it's very safe as long as you don't raise the voltage to your CPU. Depending on the quality of your processor, it's reasonable to expect a raise in performance from 5 to 15% on most exemplars. To run higher tactrates in a stable environment you will need to add more power and that may reduce the life expectancy of your CPU, or it may not, because the life cycle of the current computer hardware is so short anyway.

3.8ghz and around 60 leagues running fast, what a dream ;) I'd never do that to my 3.0GHz quad core though, because I've got to work on my PC and that takes precedence over gaming.

Cheers for that ElDani - I've got an Intel 1.66Ghz Dual Core processor and 4GB Ram so I probably wouldn't get much advantage from overclocking.

To get back on topic, I think that on FM09 I will be selecting a large database and loading all players from the UK home nations and Ireland, as well as 5 other nations to give lots of players. Not sure whether to bother loading other contries as I shall only be playing with one team.

I am tempted to load a few other countries though because like Pina says you can then keep an eye on players and how they are performing rather than just looking at stats and reports. Haven't made my mind up yet.

I want a really long-term game and I'm always paranoid things will slow down in the future with too many leagues selected.

Archived