Authentication

When you install the game for the first time you have to authenticate the game to play it, much in the same way as you do when you install Windows, this can be done either over the phone, online or via Steam. Once it is done you don't need to do it again.

We don't know exactly what the system is right now (maybe SI guys can help out here) but it just means that when you install the game you have to go online or pick up the phone to 'unlock' the game, then you can play it to your hearts content.

Is this for everything?!

what I mean by this is it even if you buy the disk or just downloading etc.

Yes, everyone will have to do it.

Is this for everything?! :eek:

what I mean by this is it even if you buy the disk or just downloading etc.

id assume that when you download it through steam that it will automatically authenticate and run through steam.

there is an unneccesary fuss as its just a quick process that you do once when you buy the game and then you dont need the disk anymore.

So basically you have to register a code or something to say yes this game is real and i want to play it?

in the game book or in the case there will be a huge long number that you will have to input into steam or the online method or quote it over the phone. they might want a name or something else but cant see them asking for too much info

I think the only people who are angry are the people that ilegally download the game from various torrent sites. if you are the average joe blogs who BUYS the game from the shop this is hust one extra minute of you time.

I'm sure someone will create a 'crack' for you and you won't have to pay so don't worry.:thdn:

They didn't mind 3D...
Yes but this requires them to do something lol

Having 3D requires them to do something also.. pay the £25 for the new game.

Adding a new feature to a game customers will spend more money on and this authentication stuff is completely different.

I personally feel very strongly again DRM, as I feel when you buy a product it should without question be yours to use anyway you like. The problem with DRM, however, is that people can download cracked warez versions which will be easer to use than what we pay about £30 for.

But my love and excitement for FM is higher than my hate for DRM, and I hope this will be true for most people ;)

To get back on topic: the reason this authentication system is creating a fuss is for two reason in my opinion.

1. If (or when, 2 years/10 years/15 years) SI/SEGA goes bust, they would not run the servers anymore. That means you'd be unable to use the game without cracking it.

2. The slight possitility that the system will get overloaded or experience a technical issue on launch day, meaning nobody will be able to play it.

If you think about it, people are only being this worried because they really want to be able to play and enjoy the game :)

My problem with this type of system consists of two parts. The first part is probably best described by something which happened to me yesterday: I was about to play a UT3 cup final on a competitive gaming website, when all of a sudden my connection dies. Some phone calls later I am assured that the match will be rescheduled, however I am left with having to find something else to do. I decide it'll be fun to dig through some of my old games. I decided on KKND2, a funny RTS from 1998, installed it and had loads of fun.

Now I'm imagining a similar situation in 2018. Connection dies, digging through the box of old games.. only to come to the conclusion that I can't install any of them because they all needed to be activated online. I'm not entirely sure about the phone services (the time of this incident happened to be 9:07pm), whether they could be contacted at odd times or even at all after ten years.

Obviously this is generally not an issue with games that are less than a year old, but that's why I can't understand why no developer or publisher will commit to removing these systems after 1 or 2 years. If a pirate is going to wait 2 years, I think it's safe to say he wasn't ever gonna buy it.

But that brings me to my second issue. These methods do -not- stop piracy. The only thing that the industry has been able to prevent, is small-scale stuff, like lending discs to friends or making copies for them, as the average consumer will not know how to get past such defenses. The average consumer can, however, simply get their copy off a torrent site or usenet, as it only takes 1 group to crack a game in order for everyone to have access to it.

I can understand that both SI and SEGA will not just accept that they can't do a thing about it, and will do their best to combat piracy, which is their right obviously. I'd just wish some company would dare to patch the DRM out once it served its purpose.

Just a point when you buy a game it most certainly is not yours to use in any way you like. Even when you download freeware there's strings attached to protect the integrity of the original work. What you buy is a license to use the product as it is as per the terms provided. And if you don't like it then lump it - the right to the product you're buying belongs to the people who made the game and it is their right to have that code and work remain as they made it and it is their right to get a fee/royalty for your use of that game. You don't own anything on that disk when you buy it you simply buy the right to use it. You might not like it but that's the way it is. If it wasn't like that there wouldn't be a games industry because there wouldn't be any money in it. Copyright law 101.

To your points 1) Miles has said that Sega/SI will guaruntee this system indefinately. We have to trust him on that I guess. 2) the possibility nothing will go wrong and it'll work brilliantly for everyone ;)

So is this basically to stop people from downloading the game illegally? If so and it is just a little peice of code im not sure why so many have got their panties in a twist over it

It doesn't.

Pirates will have a cracked version where the authentication is rendered useless, as such, they have a completely unrestricted game.

People who buy the game will have a restricted version, where after 5 installs, they will have to beg for permission to use it again.

That and we haven't even begun discussing the inevitable "i spent £30 on this crap and it tells me i haven't got an authentic version when i register" and so on and so forth.

I would have thought SI would have learned from Spore - pirates got the game a day early AND it didn't have any DRM on it. People who bought it could only install three times (later upped to five as a token gesture).

Not only that, but the DRM on these games is not immediately obvious - you have to open, install and read the fine print on the EULA before you know what DRM is in place - unless of course you visit these forums, which, lets face it, not everyone who buys the game does.

I can understand that both SI and SEGA will not just accept that they can't do a thing about it, and will do their best to combat piracy, which is their right obviously. I'd just wish some company would dare to patch the DRM out once it server its purpose.

That would be what, 75 years after the creation of the work? :p

I would have thought SI would have learned from Spore - pirates got the game a day early AND it didn't have any DRM on it. People who bought it could only install three times (later upped to five as a token gesture).

The only similarity between SIs system and Spores is that it's done online. Also every install on FM is redeemable, so you uninstall it you get that install back.

Don't assume Iron Maiden and McFly sound the same because they use guitars.

That would be what, 75 years after the creation of the work? :p

Ah come on you know what I mean. They won't be concerning themselves with how much money FM2009 is making when they're about to release FM2011, there will be several pirated versions floating around for whoever wants it and only the legitimate customers are still tied to these restrictions.

Sure, only 2 years after release the amount of people running into problems, and the severity of the problems, will not be such a huge issue, but it will be the only issue, as the time for making money and stopping pirates (with regard to this title) will be over. And with every year that passes, this one remaining issue becomes bigger. While the solution is right there..

Just a point when you buy a game it most certainly is not yours to use in any way you like. Even when you download freeware there's strings attached to protect the integrity of the original work. What you buy is a license to use the product as it is as per the terms provided. And if you don't like it then lump it - the right to the product you're buying belongs to the people who made the game and it is their right to have that code and work remain as they made it and it is their right to get a fee/royalty for your use of that game. You don't own anything on that disk when you buy it you simply buy the right to use it. You might not like it but that's the way it is. If it wasn't like that there wouldn't be a games industry because there wouldn't be any money in it. Copyright law 101.

To your points 1) Miles has said that Sega/SI will guaruntee this system indefinately. We have to trust him on that I guess. 2) the possibility nothing will go wrong and it'll work brilliantly for everyone ;)

Yes yes, calm down... I wasn't making a grand political statement and trying to put down SI in any way.

I just trying to give some more information about DRM for people who might not know much about it :p

And I know I don't OWN the rights to the game. Again I wasn't talking about decompiling it, changing the game, recompiling it and selling it as my own...

I was referring to fair use and being able to expect a certain usage from a product. Eg, if you buy a shaver you want to be able to shave your stubs with it.

Just so you know, I'm from Norway, and consumer right's a lot stronger than say USA and UK...

But this is getting a bit to heated for my liking anyway... I'd just like to say that I have the uttermost respect and appreciation for SI plugging away at this game ever single year constantly trying to make it better and tolerating all the moaning on their forum.

Peace?:thup:

But this is getting a bit to heated for my liking anyway... I'd just like to say that I have the uttermost respect and appreciation for SI plugging away at this game ever single year constantly trying to make it better and tolerating all the moaning on their forum.

But they get paid... money from customers.. just like every other game that's made. They are not doing this solely for the love of the game.

It's not a privilege for people to play Football Manager.. they spend their hard earned cash on it.

Yes yes, calm down... I wasn't making a grand political statement and trying to put down SI in any way.

I just trying to give some more information about DRM for people who might not know much about it :p

And I know I don't OWN the rights to the game. Again I wasn't talking about decompiling it, changing the game, recompiling it and selling it as my own...

I was referring to fair use and being able to expect a certain usage from a product. Eg, if you buy a shaver you want to be able to shave your stubs with it.

Just so you know, I'm from Norway, and consumer right's a lot stronger than say USA and UK...

Peace?:thup:

Haha yeah, sorry. :)

The only similarity between SIs system and Spores is that it's done online. Also every install on FM is redeemable, so you uninstall it you get that install back.

Don't assume Iron Maiden and McFly sound the same because they use guitars.

So what if you don't get chance to uninstall it?

You have 5 strikes, then you email or ring Sega, explain the situation. Miles has said so long as you can explain it they'll sort it out for you. I think that's more than fair considering there will be people who do it just to try and get more copies to sell.

Rubbish. I've bought the game, I should be able to install it as many times as I like without asking for permission. People who download it illegally won't have to do that ffs.

Rubbish. I've bought the game, I should be able to install it as many times as I like without asking for permission. People who download it illegally won't have to do that ffs.

And you can... unless you're planning more than 5 seperate installs then you won't have a problem. If you have more than 5 seperate installs anyway you're breaking the law as strictly speaking you shouldn't have more than one per copy... harsh law and si being nice to allow up to 5... it should be more than enough.

Thanks for your replies.

Does your system requirements effect being able to authenticate in anyway, are the capabilities of your PC in anyway relevant to it? Sorry about these pathetic questions lol

Nope :) and no worries, they're actually new questions however silly they may seem so it's refreshing :p

And you can... unless you're planning more than 5 seperate installs then you won't have a problem. If you have more than 5 seperate installs anyway you're breaking the law as strictly speaking you shouldn't have more than one per copy... harsh law and si being nice to allow up to 5... it should be more than enough.

Its not clear if its based per system or per dvd yet is it?

The main problem is that all these drm systems do is punish the people who actually support you and push them towards piracy rather than convincing the pirates to actually buy your game.

Nope, it means you can install it on both and play them simultaneously unlike with previous releases.

Its not clear if its based per system or per dvd yet is it?

The main problem is that all these drm systems do is punish the people who actually support you and push them towards piracy rather than convincing the pirates to actually buy your game.

It is 5 installs per copy (dvd in your case). I really don't think this system punishes anyone legally using the game, I've been sat here 3+ hours and so far noones come up with any reason why it's bad other than it's DRM and they're lazy... :/

Nope, it means you can install it on both and play them simultaneously unlike with previous releases.

It is 5 installs per copy (dvd in your case). I really don't think this system punishes anyone legally using the game, I've been sat here 3+ hours and so far noones come up with any reason why it's bad other than it's DRM and they're lazy... :/

It's bad because the people who download the game illegally won't have to put up with DRM while people who buy it might have to. It's encouraging the pirates, which you'd think is the last thing a company would want to do.

Its pretty much like the same process you have to go through when you want to play Pro Evo online, or when you install XP - Vista ect, its no big deal, people like to moan however, some people want to wake up on the morning of release, have there breakfast made for them, have the game already installed and ready to go

You're not limited though... you have 5 installs you get back every time you uninstall, and if for whatever reason you can't uninstall just explain the situation and you can get them back, or at least that's what we've been told, and they haven't lied to us yet so I for one am going on good faith.

You're not limited though... you have 5 installs you get back every time you uninstall, and if for whatever reason you can't uninstall just explain the situation and you can get them back, or at least that's what we've been told, and they haven't lied to us yet so I for one am going on good faith.

If you don't see that as limited then i can't get it through to you obviously :)

These DRM systems are never in 100% working order though, I can guarantee there will be issues with it.

Who's to say SI/SEGA will accept your reasons for wanting more than 5 installs though?

Put the disc in, follow installation instructions. Simple? :)

Wakers do you really have that much of terrible system that you're likely to lose 5 installations of FM? The principle doesn't really matter when the practicality means the principle doesn't come into play.

No, i have a nice system :)

The issue is I have a desktop + laptop, my bro has desktop + laptop and then we've got one install left until we have to ring mummy and ask to install the thing that i paid for again.

Well my friend, legally you're not in the right anyway ;) you and your bro should have seperate copies, esp as you use different computers.

Do I need to point out that in all previous releases you'd have had to buy at least 2 copies for that setup anyway?

No, you wouldn't, you just go into your brother's room and nick the cd from his drive ;)

Besides, that's another stupid rule that the gaming industry tries to hide behind, it should be one license per household, not per machine.

No, you wouldn't, you just go into your brother's room and nick the cd from his drive ;)

Besides, that's another stupid rule that the gaming industry tries to hide behind, it should be one license per household, not per machine.

are you saying i have to buy to fms? i play on my desktop and on my laptop but 2 different leuges?what i have to do?

Archived