How will you authenticate FM2009?

How Will You Authenticate FM2009?  

323 members have voted

1. 1. How Will You Authenticate FM2009?

• STEAM
    • Online Authentication
    • Telephone Registration
    • Wont buy the game because of this new method

many people have been moaning about the new no-need-to-use-the-disk-anymore method of playing football manager and many people have praised the idea. personally the hassle of using the disk was no problem for me but i dont mind authenticating my game once to never need the disk, seems logical enough.

however, i dont see the point in steam. why would i go through the (small) hassle of their acount just to get automatic updates. i get an email when an update comes anyway so i can do it myself. so im going for the online 30 sec authentication.

lots of people are also having problems with getting their computer online for this so how will you do it?

also, those who wont buy the game for this reason what are your reasons for doing so? surely it will not be any more a breach of privacy than signing up for, say a forum like this? ;)

edit: looking at the results so far maybe some from SI should take note. I doubt people will stop using the game becuase they need a disk and i doubt that people will buy the game solely because of this new method. HOWEVER it seems that people are being put off buying for this reason alone. is it worth this new method if it is going to affect sales?

• Replies 109
  • Created
  • Last Reply
What website is it excatly to authenticate FM09 ? And what is the phone number to do it?

i assume that when you insert the disk for the first time it will come up with an automatic process that will connect to the internet for you to register raher than you actually having to visit a website. im sure the number will come with the game or maybe get released a few days before release, but i doubt you will be able to authenticate it until you have a copy in your hands with the authentication code on it!

would we HAVE to authenticate the game?

yes.

online because i don't want steam. I'm sure it's great software it's just I have enough programs running in the background already I don't need more :)

Can we still buy it from game or we can't

Of course, authentication is just to make sure you have bought the game :)

Can we still buy it from game or we can't

you can buy it from all the usual places and also download it from steam (still the full price though).

however this is just about the authentication. you can authenticate it from steam without downloading it from them but you need to set up an account etc just seems pointless unless you have an account already

Steam, aolthough I'll be buying it on disk with my connection it'll be quicker to nip into town and but the disk rather than D/L the whole game! I wasn't a fan of steam when it came out, but now I rather like it. I don't particularly have a problem with online activation (or phone line activation) and the idea of automatic updates appeals to me. The activation system for FM'09 seems fine to me. Five installs is loads. I've had every version of the game from CM '93-'94 and never needed to re-install one more than five times, even though I've been running the game on both desktop and laptop since 2001.

And just how sad would you have to be not to buy a game because of the activation software?

This system to fight against piracy is similar like Microsoft one, but I think it will have big legislative problem (privacy). I wouldn't exclude the option that some lawyer take a charge....

I really don't think you understand how this works. They've made it very accessible to everyone who plays the game and they've made sure it is a fair method. There's absolutely nothing intrusive about it to threaten privacy - the only thing that it takes is a code. once you've done it once you don't ever have to be online with the game again - if you do it over the phone you never have to be online.

And just how sad would you have to be not to buy a game because of the activation software?

this is one of the things i want to find out, who enjoys football manager enough to come on the forum but when they have to have a new way to install the game go off it altoghter.

i hope people who are voting this way werent going to buy the game anyway, for other reasons, and have voted here...

I won't be buying the game as I am not interested in third party companies for software etc. Just want to buy a game plonk the disk in the drive and play it so I will be sticking with FM2008.

Sorry guys.

The funny thing is if you opt for normal online or phone you get LESS third party software than you have in FM08 :)

I won't be buying the game as I am not interested in third party companies for software etc. Just want to buy a game plonk the disk in the drive and play it so I will be sticking with FM2008.

Sorry guys.

you dont have to use steam and it doesnt offer any extra software for the game, just a method of auto-updating patches (a feature that SI have never had available anyway if you think you are missing out from previous years). if you go down the online authentication route all you have to do is enter the code that comes with the game to prove that you bought it then you can play. i doubt they will ask for any more details than that.

its a shame people have decided not to buy the game for this reason alone. surely people give out more details when applying for a credit card or buying something online anyway.

Sorry guys.

It's OK. You're forgiven

One thing though... why not buy the game and activate it over the phone or directly over t'interweb? Then you won't need to install steam.

As sad as me, and currently 13.79% of the rest of the people that have voted in this thread it would appear.

I do have one small question for you too. How arrogant do you have to be to think that because something is okay with you, then everyone else on the planet should just accept it too?

you dont have to use steam and it doesnt offer any extra software for the game, just a method of auto-updating patches (a feature that SI have never had available anyway if you think you are missing out from previous years). if you go down the online authentication route all you have to do is enter the code that comes with the game to prove that you bought it then you can play. i doubt they will ask for any more details than that.

its a shame people have decided not to buy the game for this reason alone. surel people give out more details when applying for a credit card or buying something online anyway.

The point is I don't want to be authenticating and be given 5 licences etc or phoning someone to authenticate the game .This is going down the route Microsoft has taken and look at the trouble they had.

I most definitely do not want to be dealing with 3rd parties either some people are happy with that which is fair enough but i'm not.

To me this if anything is going to make people go down the route of getting an illegal cracked copy of the game and could affect sales, only time will tell on that.

It's OK. You're forgiven

One thing though... why not buy the game and activate it over the phone or directly over t'interweb? Then you won't need to install steam.

Don't like the idea of the licensing and having to un-install and re-install to get your licence number back. I just don't have any desire to buy any game which goes down that route be it FM2009 or another title so sticking with FM2008.

Clearly people are not happy with some of course are it is down to the individual whether they want to purchase the game.

I cant stand steam. I bought Orange Box and steam was just too annoying for me, just because of steam i dont even bother to play HL2 or team fortress 2 anymore. will just do online auth.

The point is I don't want to be authenticating and be given 5 licences etc or phoning someone to authenticate the game .This is going down the route Microsoft has taken and look at the trouble they had.

I most definitely do not want to be dealing with 3rd parties either some people are happy with that which is fair enough but i'm not.

To me this if anything is going to make people go down the route of getting an illegal cracked copy of the game and could affect sales, only time will tell on that.

ok obviously for some people the 5 licences are a factor, but personally i only use it on one computer so this isnt really a problem for me.

do you think if you choose the online authentication process that you will deal with 3rd parties? i dont think i agree with you there.

imo if someone is going to get an illegal copy of the game then they are always going to get an illegal copy. would people really go down the illegal route just to get round a licence issue?

Ill have to phone up since the computer i use for FM doesnt have an internet connection :(

you can activate it on another computer...and use 1 of the installs on the pc you will be playing it with....thats what i need to do coz i wont be playing the game on the this computer i use for everyday use

Ill have to phone up since the computer i use for FM doesnt have an internet connection :(

i wouldnt say this is a huge problem, as long as its free to call. all it means is someone at the other end of the line will be entering in the info instead of you.

As sad as me, and currently 13.79% of the rest of the people that have voted in this thread it would appear.

I do have one small question for you too. How arrogant do you have to be to think that because something is okay with you, then everyone else on the planet should just accept it too?

obviously its your choice whether you buy the game or not for whatever reason, but id like to understand what is not ok with you about the online or telephone method of authenticating the game? what about it will actually turn you off the purchase?

It's not because it's OK with me that it has to be OK with everyone else, I really don't care if you play the game or not. It just seems that to not buy a game that you enjoy enough to post about in forums because you have to activate it once, in one of three different ways, is cutting off your nose to spite your face.

I'd be very interested to hear why you're not willing to make a phone call at local rates, connect the game over the internet (once) or associate it with Steam? What bothers you about this?

i wouldnt say this is a huge problem, as long as its free to call. all it means is someone at the other end of the line will be entering in the info instead of you.

I doubt it's free.

I'm not ringing anyone to activate a game and I'm not going anywhere near Steam.. so activate online.

I'm buying it out of habit now anyways. And it's only £20 for me from shopto so not too bad

So we can't just play with the disc?

I only play FM on one computer(in fact, I only use one computer), so will I be able to just play with the disc in? Or will I have to register even though I don't need to?

Yes you will need to authenticate the game you have purchased.

So we can't just play with the disc?

I only play FM on one computer(in fact, I only use one computer), so will I be able to just play with the disc in? Or will I have to register even though I don't need to?

you HAVE to authenticate it this time around. an online authentication will take 30secs according to SI.

you can always leave the disk in if you like (just for old times sake) it just wont be needed ;)

Don't like the idea of the licensing and having to un-install and re-install to get your licence number back. I just don't have any desire to buy any game which goes down that route be it FM2009 or another title so sticking with FM2008.

Clearly people are not happy with some of course are it is down to the individual whether they want to purchase the game.

yea its up to you, its your choice. just a question though, do you play fm on 4 or 5 different computers? i play on one so if that computer ever broke i would install it on a new one. then maybe if i had to keep installing it on 4 to 5 different computers for whatever reason then maybe it would be a problem.

i think i read somewhere that if you had this kind of problem that you would be able get extra computers added or something, dont quote me on that though

yea its up to you, its your choice. just a question though, do you play fm on 4 or 5 different computers? i play on one so if that computer ever broke i would install it on a new one. then maybe if i had to keep installing it on 4 to 5 different computers for whatever reason then maybe it would be a problem.

i think i read somewhere that if you had this kind of problem that you would be able get extra computers added or something, dont quote me on that though

I believe you will be able to ring SEGA and obtain further licences now how much that call would cost I don't know but on dealing with software companies before it will probably be premium rate and you will be in a queue! Could be wrong though it might be free and you are put through straight away with the minimum of fuss!

I believe you will be able to ring SEGA and obtain further licences now how much that call would cost I don't know but on dealing with software companies before it will probably be premium rate and you will be in a queue! Could be wrong though it might be free and you are put through straight away with the minimum of fuss!

either way your back is covered if ou need to licence more computers. tbh most people will be able to handle 5 machines to add it too even if they break often, you only have to wait a year till fm2010 anway! you know you will buy it ;)

i cant help thinking that the people who are refusing to buy it are not letting up on something here. i cant work out exactly why it would put anyone off buying the game. 3rd is no problem. you authenticate without being connected to the internet. licence shouldnt affect too many people surely. answers anyone?!

either way your back is covered if ou need to licence more computers. tbh most people will be able to handle 5 machines to add it too even if they break often, you only have to wait a year till fm2010 anway! you know you will buy it ;)

i cant help thinking that the people who are refusing to buy it are not letting up on something here. i cant work out exactly why it would put anyone off buying the game. 3rd is no problem. you authenticate without being connected to the internet. licence shouldnt affect too many people surely. answers anyone?!

Well I'm not hiding anything but I have never bought a game yet where you have to go through the procedures outlined by SI and i'm not starting now simple as that I have no desire to do that.

I am a long standing fan of the game (You will notice I have been a member since 2003) and the direction they are taking with this game is not for me.

Good luck on the day of release trying to get through to SEGA on the phones all at once
well considering only 2 people on this poll are doing it that way i dont think its the most popular route :D

:D

All these people have access to the Internet though.. it's all the ones who don't I should be wishing luck too! but then again they won't be here to read it...

Archived