STEAM are you joking?

Guest macsony

Guest macsony

Football Manager has teamed up with steam so you dont have to have a disk.

Fine there are good points like the use of extra content and more.

But for $58.74 does this seem a bit much.

Guest macsony

Quote "Steamworks will support both the retail and electronic versions of the Football Manager 2009 games giving players game updates, downloadable content, and patches"

OFC it's going to be more than buying the disc...

I dont understand that statement. Why would it be more? Surely the reduced costs associated with digital distribution should result in a lower price for the digitally-distributed version than for the disc-based version? Or am I missing something - are the costs involved in digital distribution actually higher than traditional software distribution methods? I am genuinely curious as to why the game should cost more on Steam than in Asda for example.

Don't get me wrong, I'm not bashing Steam. I love Steam and use it for most of my games, purely because of the convenience of it. But I refused to obtain FM08 through it because of the ridiculously high price. FM09 is less, but it's still more than on the high street. I'd like to know why that is.

I dont understand that statement. Why would it be more? Surely the reduced costs associated with digital distribution should result in a lower price for the digitally-distributed version than for the disc-based version? Or am I missing something - are the costs involved in digital distribution actually higher than traditional software distribution methods? I am genuinely curious as to why the game should cost more on Steam than in Asda for example.

Don't get me wrong, I'm not bashing Steam. I love Steam and use it for most of my games, purely because of the convenience of it. But I refused to obtain FM08 through it because of the ridiculously high price. FM09 is less, but it's still more than on the high street. I'd like to know why that is.

Check out the stickied Steam thread at the top of the page, a lot of us were saying the same thing.

Here in Australia we have been extremely overcharged in the retail shops with games for years. Apparently because we are used to paying so much extra for games Steam decided to set the price at the same sort of level. As you said it should be cheaper to get through steam but it isn't.

The game should have one set price, be it in US dollars or English pounds. Then you pay according to the exchange rate, but Steam in their infinite wisdom have decided to charge different prices depending on where you live. It's a disgrace.

Check out the stickied Steam thread at the top of the page, a lot of us were saying the same thing.

Here in Australia we have been extremely overcharged in the retail shops with games for years. Apparently because we are used to paying so much extra for games Steam decided to set the price at the same sort of level. As you said it should be cheaper to get through steam but it isn't.

The game should have one set price, be it in US dollars or English pounds. Then you pay according to the exchange rate, but Steam in their infinite wisdom have decided to charge different prices depending on where you live. It's a disgrace.

Something about not stealing customers from retail stores which sell for more... Which is horrible, because the retail stores shouldn't be charging so much anyway.

Archived