For Mac users, re: specs for 2009

I haven't yet seen it clarified in one of the many threads on the issue, so sorry for starting a new thread, but I am sick of trawling through pages and pages and finding nothing (I could just be missing the obvious of course, but the question keeps getting asked and never answered)...

The specs for FM09 say minimum of OSX 10.5 - is that going to mean that anybody running on 10.4 is b*ggered, or simply that SI refuse to guarantee compatability (but the game should run without any problems)? I have a MacBook that is less than two years old but yet apparently is below the minimum specs?!

I must say setting the bar so high (10.5) is rather bizarre - so some news to the contrary would be very happily received.

Again, sorry if I have missed this is another thread - believe me I have looked!

• Replies 120
  • Created
  • Last Reply

its in the demo and specs thread. Miles answered your question. He said he doesn't know of another game being released on PC/Mac that supports 10.4 or before. They didn't set the standard, thats just what they're doing like everyone else. Theres still lots of people with XP so theyre supporting that aswell as vista but are not supporting tiger. Then a few posts later someone else from SI said that it will not work on OSX 10.4.

its in the demo and specs thread. Miles answered your question. He said he doesn't know of another game being released on PC/Mac that supports 10.4 or before. They didn't set the standard, thats just what they're doing like everyone else. Theres still lots of people with XP so theyre supporting that aswell as vista but are not supporting tiger. Then a few posts later someone else from SI said that it will not work on OSX 10.4.

Thanks PGB - can always rely on a fellow Spurs fan to dash my hopes!

Best piece of advice mate would be try the demo in a few days and see how it goes for you? Ofcourse it will have a tiny database compared to the full version, but you can basically discover if it will work for you or not. I'd take a gamble and say it would, doesn't seem tooo much of a difference imo. Not that i know alot about Macs...if anything tbh.

Best piece of advice mate would be try the demo in a few days and see how it goes for you? Ofcourse it will have a tiny database compared to the full version, but you can basically discover if it will work for you or not. I'd take a gamble and say it would, doesn't seem tooo much of a difference imo. Not that i know alot about Macs...if anything tbh.

Ya i see no harm in trying to play the demo as a last ditch effort :D

the universal logo was on the football manager 2008 box image so no change in that regards...

keeping my fingers crossed it works on my mac os x 10.4.11! not really feeling to spend a load on an upgrade when my mac still works like a dream.

I am also dissapointed to see SI dropping Universal Binary support. I own an Intel mac, but I know a LOT of people w/Power PC's.

Hopefully they'll patch it up in the future, CM/FM has been around for macs for a loooong time and they do have a strong fanbase.

Right I'm a bit confused.

I've got a (quite) old macbook.

I have a GMA 950 graphics card.

1.83 Ghz processor

1gb ram.

Using 10.4.11

Is there any news on wether i'll be able to:

A) Play the game in 3d?

or

B) Play the game without 3d?

I think, i'm going to have to wait for the demo to find out, but if anyone knows more about this than me, can you put me in the clear.

If i don't end up being able to use 3d, i'll just have to wait until about september( ish) next year when I plan to spend my job money on a new laptop!

Right I'm a bit confused.

I've got a (quite) old macbook.

I have a GMA 950 graphics card.

1.83 Ghz processor

1gb ram.

Using 10.4.11

Is there any news on wether i'll be able to:

A) Play the game in 3d?

or

B) Play the game without 3d?

I think, i'm going to have to wait for the demo to find out, but if anyone knows more about this than me, can you put me in the clear.

If i don't end up being able to use 3d, i'll just have to wait until about september( ish) next year when I plan to spend my job money on a new laptop!

That's not that old. Same specs as my MacBook and it's just less than 2 years old.

I spent just over £900 on mine (I added the DVD writer and bigger HD), so if the demo doesn't work, that is it with FM for me. I'm not buying a new computer for at least another year after what I spent on my MacBook already. I can't even afford to buy a new computer anyways with rent and all my other bills. So if it doesn't work, SI have lost my custom completely.

Running G4 (PPC) 10.4.11, which means I'm another frustrated Mac user. Don't stick the Universal Binary logo up if you're not going to support it, jeez. The only saving grace is that I've got access to a PC. Not that it's much use if I can't play it on my laptop though.

That's not that old. Same specs as my MacBook and it's just less than 2 years old.

I spent just over £900 on mine (I added the DVD writer and bigger HD), so if the demo doesn't work, that is it with FM for me. I'm not buying a new computer for at least another year after what I spent on my MacBook already. I can't even afford to buy a new computer anyways with rent and all my other bills. So if it doesn't work, SI have lost my custom completely.

I'm sure at one point a remember Miles saying something along the lines of them trying to make it work with computers from around 4 years ago.

Anyway, having thought about it more, I reckon I might just get away with it. Game-wise my laptop runs Halo (1) ( well the demo of) pretty well, and i don't think I did anything like turn the graphics down. 09 doesn't look like surpassing those graphics, and even if it did, I could turn them down. And then there's always the option of 2d....

Oh and one more thing, if i can't play the game on my laptop at all, we have a "family" desktop. It's an imac, but one of the old white ones, and that should be able to play it.

I'm quiet sure that they will patch the Mac version after the release, so that it will also run on a PPC. 3-D needs a fast graphic card and I guess that's why they did not test and develop it for PPC, as it will fail to run on older PPC macs.

I'm quiet sure that they will patch the Mac version after the release, so that it will also run on a PPC. 3-D needs a fast graphic card and I guess that's why they did not test and develop it for PPC, as it will fail to run on older PPC macs.

where did you get that "quiet sure" information from???SI??:confused:

i'm also hoping for an answer to the ppc dilema. running unsupported 2d would be ok but i get the feeling it may not even install. my question for fellow mac users is - what do you think would be the cheapest way to upgrade while staying in spec for as many future fm releases as possible? lately i've been thinking about the refurbished imacs..

if there were official support for ubuntu this would be much easier but mac o/s is the only way for me until then...

where did you get that "quiet sure" information from???SI??:confused:

It looks like the box comes with the Mac Universal sign. A software that is sold with this sign should run on a PPC Mac.

Archived