New Laptop

Getting a new laptop for Christmas. Would like some feedback on this laptop that i have my heart set on now. LINK - http://www1.euro.dell.com/content/products/productdetails.aspx/xpsnb_m1530?c=uk&l=en

SPECS -

Intel® Core™ 2 Duo Processor T5800 (2.00GHz, 800Mhz FSB, 2MB cache)

15.4" Widescreen™ WXGA (1280x800) TFT Display (220nits) with TrueLife™

NVIDIA® GeForce™ Go 8600M GT with 256MB dedicated graphic memory

3072MB 667MHz Dual Channel DDR2 SDRAM [1x2048+1x1024]

250GB (5400RPM) SATA Hard Drive

Fixed 8x DVD+/-RW Slim Slot Load drive, including SW

Tell me if this is a good entertainment laptop capable of playing games ect. Also, is it good value for money, are they reliable?

Thanks in advance.

Getting a new laptop for Christmas. Would like some feedback on this laptop that i have my heart set on now. LINK - http://www1.euro.dell.com/content/products/productdetails.aspx/xpsnb_m1530?c=uk&l=en

SPECS -

Intel® Core™ 2 Duo Processor T5800 (2.00GHz, 800Mhz FSB, 2MB cache)

15.4" Widescreen™ WXGA (1280x800) TFT Display (220nits) with TrueLife™

NVIDIA® GeForce™ Go 8600M GT with 256MB dedicated graphic memory

3072MB 667MHz Dual Channel DDR2 SDRAM [1x2048+1x1024]

250GB (5400RPM) SATA Hard Drive

Fixed 8x DVD+/-RW Slim Slot Load drive, including SW

Tell me if this is a good entertainment laptop capable of playing games ect. Also, is it good value for money, are they reliable?

Thanks in advance.

The link doesn't work mate as it's expired (it was your quote so times out after a short while!) key question how much?

Woah! I might be wrong but I'm sure you can get something a little more value for money! Next couple of key questions are;

What do you want to use it for?

Are you set on a Del or open to other manufacturers?

I want to use it for entertainment, so things like games, a bit of school work and just general use ect. I am open to other maes but i want one thats reliable and wont break after a week

I want to use it for entertainment, so things like games, a bit of school work and just general use ect. I am open to other maes but i want one thats reliable and wont break after a week

Ok,well and I probably already know the answer to this but when do you need to buy it?

Woah! I might be wrong but I'm sure you can get something a little more value for money! Next couple of key questions are;

What do you want to use it for?

Are you set on a Del or open to other manufacturers?

Ok,well and I probably already know the answer to this but when do you need to buy it?

I don't. My Mum is buying me a Laptop for christmas and i have just been looking around for some good ones that i can suggest to her.

Right, after a quick search I've found this:

http://www.comet.co.uk/shopcomet/product/477761/HP-DV5-1009EA/tab/specification

Not necessarily much difference in the spec but I think that it's all about the support you'll be given when things go wrong (not saying that either manufacturer's machine will go wrong!) If you Google the part code you should be able to get it even cheaper! When I get more time tomorrow I'll see if there is anything else I can find!

Right, after a quick search I've found this:

http://www.comet.co.uk/shopcomet/product/477761/HP-DV5-1009EA/tab/specification

Not necessarily much difference in the spec but I think that it's all about the support you'll be given when things go wrong (not saying that either manufacturer's machine will go wrong!) If you Google the part code you should be able to get it even cheaper! When I get more time tomorrow I'll see if there is anything else I can find!

To be honest mate i have been told to avoid Comet and PC World from friends. And aparently dells customer support is really helpful, so at the minute im still with dell

To be honest mate i have been told to avoid Comet and PC World from friends. And aparently dells customer support is really helpful, so at the minute im still with dell

Erm ok! Just to let you know that the support should be with the manufacturer not the retail outfit! I am going to have to be carful but I can suggest that you're the first person I've known that has made that statement!

Mate, I bought a dell (well actually work go it for me :D) with almost identical specs to that in a 1520 inspiron about 12 months ago. I use it to play FM at home, and it performs very nicely and I haven’t had any problems with it at all. I also have recently been playing newer, heavier duty 3D games like Mass Effect with no dramas at all on mid-high settings and getting very good frame rates and playability.

I’m also looking at getting a new laptop (leaving my job :(), and have just starting researching but it seems to me that Dell’s mid spec lappies don’t appear to be as competitively priced compared to other retailers as they were 12 months ago when I was last shopping. So maybe it would be worthwhile to do some more research.

if you are buying a Dell system stay away from the home machines as they are more expensive and only come with a Collect and Return warranty. I usually buy from the small business section works out cheaper. Look at the vostro's and beef up the spec, it will also come with a next business day warranty.

By the way I wasn't suggesting to buy from Comet or any other retailer really, just that IMO you can get more for your money and 'potentially' a more reliable machine.

Archived