Player manager?

An idea just came to me whilst I was in the shower (of all places)!

Just a thought but it may be interesting if in future releases you could have the option to add yourself in the game as a player manager. So perhaps your a 38/39 year old at the end of thier career who has 1=2 good seasons left and wants a dable in the management game.

What do you think?

I know there are a lot of complexities involved in this. For instance, how would each player manager be given thier stats??? Well just as in 08 you can add a reputation for a new manager (international, sunday league etc etc), then the same method should be used to give the player manager thier stats.

E.G. a 35 year old ex international should have better stats then a 39 year old lower league player.....

Just a thought anyway. Obviously there is a lot more to think sort out before an idea like this could ever find its way into the game but just a thought of spicing the game up.

Feel free to disect and scrutinise the idea.

Shanks

Just a question from me: what would it change in the game? I'm assuming the managerial side is unchanged, so what does getting to play for a couple of seasons actually add? (Were you thinking of being able to control your player on the pitch, or just to have them take part in games like any other?)

What about position? How would you decide that? And would there be different catorgories for certain reputation?

Such as international = PA 160-200

I don't think this would work, there would be too many issues to do with it.

I can see a potential bug being that the player manager is complaining to his manager for not playing enough!

I disagree with this idea but i think it would be good if when you start the game you see a news story saying "Mister Manager has retired from football this morning and told the public in a press conference that he wants to get straight into managing"

Just a question from me: what would it change in the game? I'm assuming the managerial side is unchanged, so what does getting to play for a couple of seasons actually add? (Were you thinking of being able to control your player on the pitch, or just to have them take part in games like any other?)

yeah just like any other player in the squad you could play yourself, just as it happens in real life.

As mentioned there would be complexities like YesYesOhYay said people making themselves into gods but it might be a nice little extra that could just mix it up a bit.

I quite like this idea. I think that it would take a new section to be implemented into the game where when you start up a new game you can select if you want to be a player/manager or just a manager. If you select player/manager a screen should come up where you select your position and then the club you want to manager/play for, then you would start the game and FM would dictate how good a player you are?

I don't really like this idea, if you are starting out as player manager then you have what? 1 or 2 seasons left before you completely retire? I don't see the point really. It would be kind of stupid to read on the forums all the people winning this or winning that and listing a team with ST - Myself, 30 goals in 36 games! right below Torres on their team lists...

If it's something that someone truly wants to do then just add yourself in the editor, I actually enjoy a lot of meaningless features in games but I would never really use this one.

I remember that a Fifa Manager from a few years back had this feature, maybe the newest releases still do.

In my opinion, this doesn't fit into FM games. Maybe if you add personal background (like a whole private life that includes private finances that go as far as having or buying your own club) this becomes feasible. It certainly would allow you to create a career or a legacy with your own name and that may be interesting in itself. As I already said though, it doesn't currently fit in FM which is a manager game that does not focus on the single person. Not even yourself.

An idea just came to me whilst I was in the shower (of all places)!

Just a thought but it may be interesting if in future releases you could have the option to add yourself in the game as a player manager. So perhaps your a 38/39 year old at the end of thier career who has 1=2 good seasons left and wants a dable in the management game.

What do you think?

I know there are a lot of complexities involved in this. For instance, how would each player manager be given thier stats??? Well just as in 08 you can add a reputation for a new manager (international, sunday league etc etc), then the same method should be used to give the player manager thier stats.

E.G. a 35 year old ex international should have better stats then a 39 year old lower league player.....

Just a thought anyway. Obviously there is a lot more to think sort out before an idea like this could ever find its way into the game but just a thought of spicing the game up.

Feel free to disect and scrutinise the idea.

Shanks

I think your idea is attractive to a lot of managers, myself included. However, I interpret your idea as more of a wish to add a storytelling feel to the game. A feature which I don’t feel is being utilized very much in previous games. The central thing is: I want the game to progress along with me.

One idea would be to have a “story mode” where the information and tools available to you as a new manager are fairly limited (simple). You then educate yourself (whole different discussion e.g. tests of tactical knowledge) and gain experience by playing around with the game. As time progresses you become a pro manager.

I would incorporate your idea, but add…

The player/manager function should only be an option for mangers managing something like a League Two team or lower. (In Denmark second division, in Germany the regional league and so on (whatever fits national standards)).

As you then "hopefully" get your team promoted you are asked by the club to become a full time manager or “leave” :). You could then continue with another team in a lower league if you wanted to keep playing as a player/manager. (most would not… but that’s the point.. creating a story).

Another feature I have been thinking about is having an Oldboys team (for players that have retired). Imagine all your former stars running around every other Sunday... maybe including yourself (ex-player/manager).

Having an Oldboys team might contribute slightly to the clubs image and/or maybe they could be used in PR (Media) events and so on.

The cost of having one would be minimal, as would the gains.. mostly just a nostalgic feature, which would add to the storyline you create.

Again I really fell that this should be an active feature for lower level teams (up and coming managers or declining managers), whereas it is not something that is relevant to a "pro "manager. Managers have a life cycle as well… they start at the “bottom”, work their way up, fight to stay on top before they start declining.

I don’t want to mess with the gameplay as it is… to me it’s a matter of adding a layer if the manager (player) wants it.

Anyways… my 2 cent

terrible idea and should never happen

it would have to randomly decide your old career and before you even start managing you have automatic have preferred clubs.

it would waste memory and processing keeping that useless information that does nothing for the management aspect of the game

Surely if you are a lower league manager (3rd or 4th division) the game can set you up as a player

already playing at the club for maybe 2 or 3 years, put a limit on your attritubtes (maybe you can

choose what position you want to play thats about it) and limit you to playing only 1 season being a

player manager. Would be a nice little addition, doesnt really hurt noone and more realistic then the

usual, nobody has taken the hotseat ordeal.

Archived