Quick advice needed

Right, I'm interested to know what you lot would do in this situation.

Basically, I have a 30 year old centre back. He's still got great attributes- 16 positioning, marking and heading, 17 tackling, all physical attributes above 10(!), and was a pretty important part of my title winning side last year. The thing is, though, Birmingham have offered me £600k for him. I accepted, knowing I could cancel it if need be. Now it's come to confirmation time. I have loads of good youngsters, and I know I'll never get this amount for him again. However, he's still a very able player, and I may well need him if I'm to fight on four fronts. He's fourth choice, not counting the youngsters. Money is not an issue.

I'm having a real dilemma over whether to confirm the transfer or not. What would you do? Accept, knowing that the youngsters are good enough? Or reject, knowing that HE'S good enough?

Keep him. Never undervalue experience :)

Very good point, and seeing as my other three centre backs are still relatively young (around 25) themselves, it holds true.

If Money is not an issue, then may aswell keep hold of him as 600K is not a lot of money if your a club where money is not much an issue.

Your game though, your choice ;)

£600k isn't a lot at all, you're right. My transfer budget is nearly 100 times that :D. I'm starting to wonder why I was considering selling him. I think part of me thinks he deserves first team football every week.

i would sell him if you say that he's not first choice and you have decent backup then cash in now before the opportunity runs away

i would only keep him if he's a first choice and performs really great

He does perform well- he just helped shut out Palermo in a friendly, and was great.

keep!

hes like the saami hyypia of your team! haha

Very true, only he'd probably beat Hyypia in a race!

I would sell him. Will get you decent money for an experienced player and it will allow you to bring in the youngsters and doing this well will increase there value.

I'm not planning on selling the youngsters, I want to build a world class side from them. Your point is valid, however, and I do want to see them improve with me, rather than with a Championship club who won't train them as well.

If you don't desperately need the money, keep.

Simple. Use him sparingly as an experienced head, and to tutor the youngsters. Maybe tempt him into coaching?

I was hoping to get him to coach, but I have Maldini there already, so unless he turns out to be a brilliant shooting coach :D.

ditch him! what if he has an off season?

put it this way, who would you rather get a 6.50 rating; the youngster (whilst getting experience) or the old'un (who wont be worth 600k again)?

It really doesn't matter if he flops, he's fourth choice and the kids are good enough if he isn't. The second point is very true though.

Both sides are so well put, I think I'm leaning towards keeping him though.

Keep him, and let him mentor one of your youngsters, then bring him into your coaching staff.

Just checked his PPMs and they're the dream ones for a centre back (IMO). Things like "Does not dive into tackles" and "Marks opponents tightly".

I'm keeping him. Thanks, everyone. It's good to know what other people's FM philosphies are like :D

Keep him! The experience that he will provide for your team is vital. And you said yourself that money isn't an issue, so why don't you just keep him because you never know when you might need him to step in, because TBH he will be more trustworthy than a 19 year old and therefore less likely to make a mistake :).

Archived