Corner Cheat?

o wow i gotta try this! does it really work lads?

Supposedly. There have been various screenshots with people getting their defenders to score in excess of 40 goals per season.

I usually pride myself on not cheating in FM, but I did try the corner cheat in my first CL with FC Bayern, but it didn't work :D

Yes it does work but it is a cheap exploit of the game to get ahead. Which do you prefer? Winning the league with 30 goals between your defenders? Or fighting hard using legitimate methods, making that all important league win even more sweeter?

It'll probably be fixed for FM09 anyway.

I can only choose one. Either Challenge GK or Near post flick on. I can't have them both selected at the same time.

Two different players, not the same player, and it's preferable to have players with good heading, jumping and positioning.

I didnt realise this was a cheat! Ive tweaked my tactics ever since we've been able to on footman, thats the whole point in this game isnt it? Trying to get the best out of ur players? If u haven't got the best players u play to your strength! Which could be that u have cb's with good heading and jumping attributes. Not all teams are fortunate to have strikers who score 30 goals a season, these teams rely on big centre backs to get in on the act with a few goals.

And isnt this what managers do in real life, ask there players to do certain things from set pieces? for example: Terry, Ferdinand, Vidic, Lescott, Laursen, Campbell.

I could continue but i think u get the point.

or are all managers who adopt this aproach actually cheating?!

these teams rely on big centre backs to get in on the act with a few goals.

Few being the operative word, there have been many discussions on here where defenders have scored in excess of 30 goals in one season, which is totally unrealistic.

I didnt realise this was a cheat! Ive tweaked my tactics ever since we've been able to on footman, thats the whole point in this game isnt it? Trying to get the best out of ur players? If u haven't got the best players u play to your strength! Which could be that u have cb's with good heading and jumping attributes. Not all teams are fortunate to have strikers who score 30 goals a season, these teams rely on big centre backs to get in on the act with a few goals.

And isnt this what managers do in real life, ask there players to do certain things from set pieces? for example: Terry, Ferdinand, Vidic, Lescott, Laursen, Campbell.

I could continue but i think u get the point.

or are all managers who adopt this aproach actually cheating?!

It's a matter of opinion really.

Exploiting the ME is what we try most of the time, usually with realistic tactical settings, but sometimes unrealistic ones work well too. Same for corners of course. And I feel it's fair enough as at other times I feel exploited by the game so we are just square then.

Just if the exploit works just too well to be considered remotely realistic it gets close to being a cheat.

In any way the only thing that matters is whether you still enjoy success using this method.

Few being the operative word, there have been many discussions on here where defenders have scored in excess of 30 goals in one season, which is totally unrealistic.

Thats fair enough i suppose. My cb's usually get around the 8-10 mark which i thought was about right but if these reports of 30 goals a season a true then thats highly unreal.

Thats fair enough i suppose. My cb's usually get around the 8-10 mark which i thought was about right but if these reports of 30 goals a season a true then thats highly unreal.

Same here, I run the settings described above, but have never experienced the "corner cheat" :confused:

It's a matter of opinion really.

Exploiting the ME is what we try most of the time, usually with realistic tactical settings, but sometimes unrealistic ones work well too. Same for corners of course. And I feel it's fair enough as at other times I feel exploited by the game so we are just square then.

Just if the exploit works just too well to be considered remotely realistic it gets close to being a cheat.

In any way the only thing that matters is whether you still enjoy success using this method.

Up until this point i didn't realise that it was as bad as u guys are saying. I didnt realise that there are ppl out there with cb's banging them in for fun!

I agree that this is a point that needs to be looked at but not completely taken out of the game because in some instances cb's do score alot of goals for there teams cause but obviosly not to the excess as being talked about

I always had a DC marking the keeper and another one at near post flick on and aimed corners at the near post.

When I got sick of that near post DC top scoring every year I stuck my target striker there.

But I hope this is fixed for FM09.

I use this "cheat" quite openly, and I don't consider it a cheat in my game.

And I'll justify my thoughts on that just now....

If Rafa or Fergie (or any other manager for that matter) where going into a match and got wind of the fact that their would-be opponents were prone to conceding goals from corners if they got big Centre Backs to challenge the GK, would they think "Well, I can't do that, that'd be cheating!" :eek:

I would hardly think so!!!!

All managers IRL will exploit ANY weakness in the opposition to their advantage.

This is called "tactics" in my book. And if my opponents on FM have a weakness I am NOT going to actively choose NOT TO EXPLOIT IT!!! Besides, the AI does it too.

The AI uses it against me, I use it against the AI!

Too bad. :cool:

I'm glad im not the only one then! :)

It worked for me for one season in my Luton save. It helped to get promotion, but my CB certainly didnt get 30 goals .... I think it was around 10 iirc.

But once i moved up the leagues and got into the 2nd, 3rd and 4th season, the corner cheat goals dried up and it very rarely produces unrealistic figures. I would say the CB's will get maybe 4 goals per season now.

In some ways I am happy that I cannot exploit the game any more.

It cant be cheating. The AI uses it all the time and it never cheats.

I agree with you. It is not a cheat, because:

1. AI is doing it the same way

2. in real football it is the same - biggest players with best headers are allways in penalty area covering various places and marked with tall defenders if attacking corner opportunity appears.

If someone has small defenders/players, it is not problem of cheating, but problem of transfer policy...

If Rafa or Fergie (or any other manager for that matter) where going into a match and got wind of the fact that their would-be opponents were prone to conceding goals from corners if they got big Centre Backs to challenge the GK, would they think "Well, I can't do that, that'd be cheating!" :eek:

All managers IRL will exploit ANY weakness in the opposition to their advantage.

This is called "tactics" in my book. And if my opponents on FM have a weakness I am NOT going to actively choose NOT TO EXPLOIT IT!!! Besides, the AI does it too.

My thoughts, too. :thup:

Good, glad to see I've still got the knack :D

:p, he was laughing at you not with you mate

Wee Aja, you mentioned the Rafa Fergie situation and here is my counter argument.

You said "All managers IRL will exploit ANY weakness in the opposition to their advantage", in FM the weakness is not in the opposition.

It is a weakness in the Match Engine itself. Now I am not saying it is cheating as it's your game, play it how you like, but it is a weakness in the Match Engine itself, a flaw. Tatics vary, all be it slightly, from game to game and if the same weakness crops up every game of every season then I would call it exploitation of the game itself rather than good tactical knowledge

i was using the corner cheat in the past. I just stumbled on it and had read about it on these forums but then on the list of goals scored from corners Man Utd had scored more from corners than me so i wondered if they had been using it as well. Can the AI use the corner cheat?

I personally don't think it is cheating because.......

IRL people like John Terry and Rio Ferdinand etc... sit in the middle of the box where most of the players are, using the corner trick and if you watch carefully the CB starts infront of the GK as you have instructed him to and then runs towards the near post and nods it in, if people like John Terry done this irl I am 100% convinced they will get alot more goals than they currently do instead of just sitting in the middle of the box being pushed around by 10-15 players

Fair enough :)

:p, he was laughing at you not with you mate

Wee Aja, you mentioned the Rafa Fergie situation and here is my counter argument.

You said "All managers IRL will exploit ANY weakness in the opposition to their advantage", in FM the weakness is not in the opposition.

It is a weakness in the Match Engine itself. Now I am not saying it is cheating as it's your game, play it how you like, but it is a weakness in the Match Engine itself, a flaw. Tatics vary, all be it slightly, from game to game and if the same weakness crops up every game of every season then I would call it exploitation of the game itself rather than good tactical knowledge

i would relate this to diving in real life.

you could look at it as a weakness in the game (the referees dont pick up on your diving), the other teams do it so why shouldn't you?

or you could look it at it as exploiting it as a flaw in the poor blind referee rather than good tactical knowledge, where you know it works but dont think its a fair way to win.

do you think rafa or fergie would ask one of their players to dive every time they got in the box if they knew they would get a penalty most of the time?

p.s. i dont own FM08 so cant use the cheat and have no opinion either way in the matter

i would relate this to diving in real life.

you could look at it as a weakness in the game (the referees dont pick up on your diving), the other teams do it so why shouldn't you?

or you could look it at it as exploiting it as a flaw in the poor blind referee rather than good tactical knowledge, where you know it works but dont think its a fair way to win.

do you think rafa or fergie would ask one of their players to dive every time they got in the box if they knew they would get a penalty most of the time?

p.s. i dont own FM08 so cant use the cheat and have no opinion either way in the matter

Yes, but it is cheating which is what I have been saying all along. Some managers wouldn't tell there players to dive and some would, just like some people will use the corner exploit. In the game I wouldn't feel like I have achieved much if I used an unrealistic exploit.

The corner routine itself is not unrealistic, but the results of this routine are unrealistic, therefore I would never use the exploit!

Archived