Club 'Ownership' Idea

Only newish to the forums so not entirely sure if this idea has been mentioned before, and i presume it will be shot down before i know it, but i'll put it out there because it always seems to be on my mind.

Essientially it is the ability to take-over a club, as in become the chairman. This could open new doors for the game, on a different level. The option of 'create a club' imo is a poor one and i don't include it in this idea, but more you can start managing, and your wages over time say 25 000 pounds per week could eventually build and you may decide to make an offer for ownership of a lower league club. If this is accepted, you would obviously leave your current position as manager in a club, and relocate to your 'owned' club with the position of chairman.

The role of directors and chairmen within the game would need to be expanded on so you could add to your board. Meetings could be undertaken to address how the club is performing etc. You could have the choice of managing it yourself i.e Niall Quinn (with hopefully stronger results!:p) or appoint your own manager.

You would assess the progress he has made and set expectations like we are asked to perform as managers currently, with the ability to sack and hire as you please, though stability ratings for managers for the time they had spent at the club could go towards potential success i.e how settled the club and players are. Club sponsorships from shirt sponser to possible stadium name sponser could be negotiated and you could essientially have as big, or little, control and management over your club as you choose. You could also negotiate invest in your club, with a % of ownership of each club viewable on a tap within the clubs profile. You could also have talks with your club captain and other players to see their thoughts on the manager and what they feel the club needs i.e players, fresh investment etc. Fan days could also discuss things like this.

As you and your club grows, you could perhaps be taken over with an amazing offer, or declare you wish to move on and sell the club once an offer arrives, which could potentially take some time like IRL. The money you gain from any sale could be used to buy or invest in a larger club, perhaps working your way up to a Manchester United or Chelsea like club.

Sorry for the novel length of this, any thoughts are welcome, i expect many negative but thats okay. I'm sure this idea could be expanded greatly with ideas, as i feel i've barely scratched the surface. I for one would never expect this to be in an FM game, as it is perhaps too complex addition and may even be a complete different game in itself.

Cheers:)

Personally, I quite like this idea, but I would want there to be ways that I could delegate stuff very quickly and easily (ie, hire board members, in the same way I would currently hire staff and let them make decisions). Really, I just want to have a free hand financially.

The game is called "Football Manager" not "Football Chairman"

Every time this idea gets raised someone says this, and it's the most god awful reason on earth. It's called Football Manager not Football Friendly Arranger, yet that's in the game and not necessarily a job a manager should be doing :rolleyes: The worst thing about that crap argument is that there are so many more valid reasons this shouldn't be added to the game.

don;t think there is a market for football chairman. Not many people would buy it

Thats why i suggested it could be included in FM. Although i know it will never happen, thought it would finally be nice to hear what everyone else had to say about it, although i'm sure it has been brought up numerous times before

Again, ever played FIFA Manager? lol if you're wanting to cheat with finances there are save game editors floating around... that's your choice but it wouldn't really fit in a game about managing teams and tactics... IMO.

Ha, nooo that game is awful, ment for a different gamer than myself. Has nothing to do with cheating, i HATE cheating in FM and never would, more the idea of hiring managers say, going after Juande and giving the poor lad another chance! And have it backfire in my face most likely and the fans in uproar. It would be a different, fresh experience from a dirrerent viewpoint, with some different challenges whether you chose just to be chairman or both chairman and manager.

The game is not called football chairman

Yah, kinda got that one already, i expected it once, but twice..:rolleyes:

But it's not Football Chairman - what you just described there with your JR example has absolutely nothing to do with being a football manager...

I never described it as football chairman once; however i understand why it's called that, because that's essientially the feature. I expected to cop some flack for that and it's fine, fully expected. This was more a suggestion, well not even that as i know it will never be in FM, more i was interested in having a discussion to what other people thought of such an idea. It's happened IRL (chairman and manager) so it's not totally unrealistic, having said that i can understand everyone canning the idea; as it would perhaps sidetrack the greatness that is FM.

The idea has been around since he original CM days. It's something that often get's referred to. The problem as I see it is this:

If you want to incorporate it into the existing game, it has no place simply due to the fact that it's a Football Management game and not a chairman/owner centric game. However if you want to make a new game (i.e. Football Owner/Chairman or whatever) there is little mileage and gameplay in doing so. Short of running a club (setting prices, sanctioning player sales/purchasing and negotiating commercial revenue) there is little else to do. Just wouldn't be as ....well fun! That's the point of a "game" at the end of the day isn't it?

The idea has been around since he original CM days. It's something that often get's referred to. The problem as I see it is this:

If you want to incorporate it into the existing game, it has no place simply due to the fact that it's a Football Management game and not a chairman/owner centric game. However if you want to make a new game (i.e. Football Owner/Chairman or whatever) there is little mileage and gameplay in doing so. Short of running a club (setting prices, sanctioning player sales/purchasing and negotiating commercial revenue) there is little else to do. Just wouldn't be as ....well fun! That's the point of a "game" at the end of the day isn't it?

Yes all true points i agree with there, having said that, maybe some people interpret 'Football Manager' not only to the limits of squad and player management but also to entire 'club management'. Now theres a thought:p

I never described it as football chairman once; however i understand why it's called that, because that's essientially the feature. I expected to cop some flack for that and it's fine, fully expected. This was more a suggestion, well not even that as i know it will never be in FM, more i was interested in having a discussion to what other people thought of such an idea. It's happened IRL (chairman and manager) so it's not totally unrealistic, having said that i can understand everyone canning the idea; as it would perhaps sidetrack the greatness that is FM.

Don't get me wrong, I don't think it's neccesarily a bad idea - there's been a few times I've wanted it but in recent years FM has just got so much more in depth in the manager side of things it doesn't seem neccesary or even worth it to add something like that to the game.

That's also why I mentioned FIFA Manager... if they ever manage a good release you'll get the chairman stuff in there. But it'll never be as good a management game. I don't think you'll ever get a good management and 'chairman' game in one.

In short, it's a good idea... for a different game. :)

Having raised the issue of difficulty levels recently I'm not going to have a go at anyone who brings up something which has been brought up numerous times before and always refused ;)

Still, I don't think it's a good idea because basically SI would have to code almost a whole second game for that option to have any value and while even believing that they could not handle that even if they wanted to I prefer their coding time to be used for my suggestions rather than yours ;)

Don't get me wrong, I don't think it's neccesarily a bad idea - there's been a few times I've wanted it but in recent years FM has just got so much more in depth in the manager side of things it doesn't seem neccesary or even worth it to add something like that to the game.

That's also why I mentioned FIFA Manager... if they ever manage a good release you'll get the chairman stuff in there. But it'll never be as good a management game. I don't think you'll ever get a good management and 'chairman' game in one.

In short, it's a good idea... for a different game. :)

Yeh mate, pretty much agree with all of that, always figured it to be a different game, like you said with FM becoming increasingely complex, but just always wanted to see what other people thought of it.

Having raised the issue of difficulty levels recently I'm not going to have a go at anyone who brings up something which has been brought up numerous times before and always refused ;)

Still, I don't think it's a good idea because basically SI would have to code almost a whole second game for that option to have any value and while even believing that they could not handle that even if they wanted to I prefer their coding time to be used for my suggestions rather than yours ;)

Well personally i don't like your idea of difficulty levels :p But yes i realise it to be way to complex and virtually a seperate game altogether, but just was interested to see what others thought; and the response is what i expected tbh.

Why do these kind of topics come in twos?? In fact, this one and the other one started one minute apart!

There is some sort of world forum conspiracy going on cos this has happened a few hundred times too many to be a coincidence...

Why do people insist on using this flimsy "It's football manager not football chairman" argument? Like I said earlier, it holds no weight whatsoever, there are many aspects fo the game that do not fall under the remit of a football manager, so name alone is not a good enough reason to ignore this suggestion.

More reasonable suggestions as to why it shouldn't be included are;

- Even if you sacked two managers a season that's only 2 days worth of game.

- Even if youcontrolled all transfers, what are you supposed to do in between Sep and Jan/Feb and June?

- How often can you build a stadium?

- How often can you change ticket prices?

The addition would be incredibly boring.

There is no need for the pointless "it's football manager not football chairman" :rolleyes:

Thank you Nomis07 for that. Good points. I'm sorry if i've annoyed some of you because you've read it all before, just wanted to put my point there and read what people had to say. Tbh, i'm not even 100% sure i'd use this if it were in the game. However i might as well try to rebutt parts of what Nomis said for the sake of a debate, and not just a haggle over the name.

-You could still play turn based like we do currently, though i'm not exactly sure what could be done to fill in the gaps; attend matches etc. are obvious ones

-Yet again, would have to produce ideas to fill in the gaps, perhaps ask real football club chairmans! (excluding ridsdale):p

-I would assume, in my idea that it would depend heavily on the financial position of the club, loans and agreements could be entered into, with financial ruin, affecting your personal financial situation and the clubs obviously, going into administration a possibility, losing all of your investment because of it.

-Just like IRL as much as you want. However also like IRL there could be a meter of fans unrest on the amount this is changed etc.

TBH, i have no idea why i gave, or atleast attempted a few different ideas there, i'm growing to the point where i'm not too keen on much of the idea myself. The key point that has always hooked me is the ability to hire and set expectations and desires to managers of your choosing. With the ability to stick by your manager during tough times, even when your fans pressure you and preying for stability to eventually win out, or going the easy route and axing a manager at the first signs of player unrest.

This 'idea' if it can be called that could never be integrated into FM, as it is becoming increasingely clearer the more i talk about it with all of you. This result itself has, imo, made this thread useful, for my own personal experience anyway; and perhaps a few others who have/are reading.

ldeaves, YesYesOhYay,

Apologies if I seemed dismissive, i'm just in an arsey mood and I wasn't being directly ignorant to either of you :)

I just don't think there is enough weight in this idea to include it. If there were daily tasks that grasped the imagination as much as the current FM management features, then fair enough add it, but IMO being a football chairman would be nothing more than playing something called Business Manager :eek: Not wanting to drag the name aspect into it ;)

ldeaves, YesYesOhYay,

Apologies if I seemed dismissive, i'm just in an arsey mood and I wasn't being directly ignorant to either of you :)

I just don't think there is enough weight in this idea to include it. If there were daily tasks that grasped the imagination as much as the current FM management features, then fair enough add it, but IMO being a football chairman would be nothing more than playing something called Business Manager :eek: Not wanting to drag the name aspect into it ;)

No mate i was happy you gave some good points on it. I agree, there would have to be some daily tasks, that don't become too repitative etc. Which perhaps could be innovated if the idea was expanded on. Like i've said all along, too much for such a great game to incorporate 'another' game so to speak, yet if they incorporated it half-assed, it would become incredibally boring and repitative. Doubled edged sword in my opinion, one option is too large and complex, the other would damage the reputation of the game; and therefore it is best left as is imo...for now :p

I have no idea what real chairmen do, but I'd bet my month's salary that it involves a hell of a lot of paperwork and not a lot that would be remotely interesting in a game!

Administrative Manager.

AM09 features to include proof reading and spell check.

You would merely hire a manager and maybe tell the manager who he should buy.

You would chose the funds and the wage budget.

You could sell....

And that would mainly be the chain of it.

Wouldn't be as interesting and would eventually get very boring.

Personally i think alot more could be added to it than that. But if too much were added it would make it far too complex for FM to integrate as it would essientially be 2 games in 1. But if it was to be integrated, having a lack of options in this feature would prove it to be a waste. There seems to be no equilibriam imo.

I was surprised when I read this, I saw a member with over 100 posts in about a day.

I thought it was going to be a crap post, saying something along the lines of 'F**k you Si your crap we need chairman mode', yet I read quite a good argument, well thought out. Got to admit, I'm surprised. If only everyone new could post like that...

Despite this, I don't think it's a good idea. Like said, it would be like a new game. But I reckon it would get boring. I mean, seriously, what do chairmen do? Paperwork? Yawn. Interfere with transfers? Once every while, maybe.

Apart from that, I don't reckon there is anything that would be interesting about being Chairman.

Sorry to shoot the suggestion down, though:)

The game is called "Football Manager" not "Football Chairman"

Also i think there is already an american game you can buy were you are the chairman, not sure though!

i'm sick of this comment regarding this feature. It wont hurt you if it's included, it's not like u have to use it. For us that want it, its brilliant if it was included, so stop being destructive.

Slightly off topic but being chairman related............

I dont know if this happened to anyone else or even if it was just a bug. Going some way back to CM00/01 possibly 99/00. I had a game as england manager. Suddenly for some reason i appeared to suddenly also be managing Shrewsbury. I just wanted to manage england so i resigned. On the news feed it said [Manager name] resigns as shrewsbury boss although the name wasnt my name and i still appeared to be manager. I went on shrewsbury club info and under charman it said my name. It had appeared i had sacked the manager or at east amde him quit. A new one came in shortly. I dont think it let me play matches from memory but i could buy and sell players and apparantly fire managers. Anyone else have this? To this day i dont know if its a genuine feaure to entertain you between international fixtures or just a bug?

i'm sick of this comment regarding this feature. It wont hurt you if it's included, it's not like u have to use it. For us that want it, its brilliant if it was included, so stop being destructive.

That would not be a "feature" as you conveniently call it. It is something that would require a whole lot lot lot of work to implement. It would practically be a whole different game. It would hurt everyone that plays football manager (except for the people that want to be chairmen) because instead of making football manager better, SI would be busy all year making a chairman mode.

IIRC there was such a game long time ago, where you can build/expand your stadium, accept/reject sponsorships, make franchises like hats, t-shirts, pens, decide all the prices etc. AND also you manage your team, training, tactics, player interactions etc.

Besides of being utterly unrealistic, it was enjoyable :)

I was surprised when I read this, I saw a member with over 100 posts in about a day.

I thought it was going to be a crap post, saying something along the lines of 'F**k you Si your crap we need chairman mode', yet I read quite a good argument, well thought out. Got to admit, I'm surprised. If only everyone new could post like that...

Despite this, I don't think it's a good idea. Like said, it would be like a new game. But I reckon it would get boring. I mean, seriously, what do chairmen do? Paperwork? Yawn. Interfere with transfers? Once every while, maybe.

Apart from that, I don't reckon there is anything that would be interesting about being Chairman.

Sorry to shoot the suggestion down, though:)

No all good, i just felt like a discussion on it. Cheers for your kind words anyway.:thup:

That would not be a "feature" as you conveniently call it. It is something that would require a whole lot lot lot of work to implement. It would practically be a whole different game. It would hurt everyone that plays football manager (except for the people that want to be chairmen) because instead of making football manager better, SI would be busy all year making a chairman mode.

Yes one of the many points, which i agree with, as to why it could never be included. If it was half ass included it would be useless. There is no win-win situation.

yeh it would be nice to be able to spend your cash on something.

thats the reason i play fifa manager, as it lets you buy castles & stuff. also if you have children then thay can join your club which i also liked.

Yeh i used to play Fifa Manager years ago...05 i think. Was fun when i was 13, but 06 and onwards i have moved to FM and couldn't be happier :)

Names don't mean Jack. And by Jack I mean nothing. And by nothing I mean nothing. In Championship Manager you don't manage a championship. In FIFA manager you don't manage FIFA, in Fallout 3 you don't fall out of things... three times. In Call Of Duty 4, you don't get a call, of duty... four times. In Tiger Woods PGA tour you can play as golfers other than Tiger, in Smash court tennis you don't have to always use smashes, nothing in the name Grand Theft Auto says you go on killing sprees and destroy half the town. I'm pretty sure NBA live is not actually live and in Spore you don't actually grow fungi in the hopes that they will release their seed into the air and mingle with other fungi at, the same time infecting anything else it touches. Maybe.

On the other hand, Football Manager could have you manage the production of an actual football, how round it has to be and what materials you should use. They never specified whether you were managing a team or a factory...

A rose by any other name would smell just as sweet.

that said, I would never play as a director, that's a horrible idea. Watch my manager screw up the team and then wishing I was the one managing cos I could do a better job? Hmmm...

This game lets you go into player interaction and tell your youngsters to get up close to the older guys, or to sell them to others.

But it shouldn't, because the game's called Football Manager not Football Paedophile.

Haha, shows the name argument is a terrible one. But as has been said in the post, there are many underlying reasons why it should not be put into the game.

As a few people have said, it's not a bad idea, but finding a market for it is tough. You can't bundle it with FM as it will end up like Ultimate Soccer Manager (remember that!!) and you can't release it on it's own as it's hardly an immersive area of the game as a whole.

Archived