More money than sense - or just so much money it's hard to distinguish?

I'm shocked by the ammount of money that players go for sometimes.

This was sparked by the news that just hit my in box that Birmingham had just signed Peterborough star striker for £23m.

He' certainly worth it, he's got a top oalscoring pedegree, is at his peak age and had a blinder last season.

He's also got a top international pedegree, scoring 9 goals in 19 appearances, which is som achievement considering he plays for San Marino, and they've only scored 10 in their last 19 as a whole team.

But nonetheless, in England it's rare to see players moving for so much - except where I'm the selling club (I'm quite proactive in my outgoing transfers)

So it got me thinking.

When was the last time a player moved between AI clubs for so much?

I knew it would have happened, £23m isn't so rare, but I couldn't think of an obvious example.

I had a look back through the list of transfers and it was a few years since AI transfers had it such heights.

But what heights they had hit!

On the last day of the January '75 transfer window, Parma had signed Scotsman David Robertson from Sampadoria for a shocking...

wait for it..

£75m

Their manager only joined the club in December, and it obviously didn't work out for him, because he was out the door by October, even though Robertson played pretty well.

Parma finished 4th in 74/75.

Unfortunately this didn't mean Champions League football the next year - as only 3 Italian teams qualify (the Potugese have been tearing up Europe and have nicked that 4 spot space from the dutch).

They tailed off soon afterwards and are back mid table.

It didn't bring them any real benefits, but he's still a quality player.

I was socked I hadn't heard of it at the time though.

It's possible it's been in the news and I didn't register it, but I'd think I would have done.

But the thing that irks me (and so, in some ways this is a very long feature request), is that I still don't know if this is a record - and won't do unless I go right the way through the transfers screen to the beginning.

We should have some World record transfer fee viewable somewhere (I'm not sure where I'd put it - but it should be somewhere) and it should be a massive deal in the news.

What do people reckon?

Is it already in 08, might it be in 09, or should we hope for 10?

Also, what are the hugest transfer fees have people seen between AI teams in their games, and wat were the outcomes?

I know, I'm not moaning about the figure, i'd just like a few more bells and whistles to accompany the event.

As it happens I only found out the transfer record had been broken (and by a sttaggering ammount) 4 years later, by chance, while I was looking for something else.

This isn't how it works in real footbal...

I know, I'm not moaning about the figure, i'd just like a few more bells and whistles to accompany the event.

As it happens I only found out the transfer record had been broken (and by a sttaggering ammount) 4 years later, by chance, while I was looking for something else.

This isn't how it works in real footbal...

Who's to say that's not how football's going to be in 70 years time?

I wouldn't be surprised if the biggest leagues in the world are USA, China and Russia by then either.

Archived