Realistic,aint it?

When Leeds got relegated,half of their squad moved out

But,in FM08,if a team like them are relegated,2-3 players just move,and the rest are happy to play in the Championship,their clubs tend to just overprice them,so I hope this is fixed with the re-written transfer code

I don't think so,that Vedran Corluka or Geovanni Dos Santos would like to play in the Championship.

All true, however, a lot of the time the key players and big players that you are talking about do get uncomfortable and are atleast considering a move. Though sometimes it is definately unrealistic with the amount of movements out, or lack of.

I've found sometimes this isn't so bad but other times it is ridiculous. For example, I had a game where City were relegated and most of their good players left. Micah Richards, Elano, etc all departed. But I also had a save where Arsenal ran into problems and got relegated, yet they still had Igor Akinfeev (the best keeper in the world at the time) and several other world class players whose names would mean nothing to you because they were newgens.

It would be better if this followed real life patterns more closely because when a decent side gets relegated I'm usually the one looking to profit from their misfortune by signing their stars.

To be fair Leeds were a big club with alot of good international players who had played in the Premier League for years when they went down, so the huge clear out was expected. Teams like Derby, Reading, Sheff Utd didn't have that big a cull because there players weren't really of the same quality that Leeds had.

Not to mention the massive debt and wage bill that needed to be taken care of, didn't exactly help us.

Thats what I was just going to say.

O'leary went a bit mad with transfers and didnt think of the consequences or paying huge transfer fees and wages. Maybe he was hoping to do the quad with all the signings to cover this bill lol, who knows!?

Leeds were almost in trouble last season with the squad they have now, imagine if they kept the players they had when they were relegated from prem to championship.

O'leary went a bit mad with transfers and didnt think of the consequences or paying huge transfer fees and wages. Maybe he was hoping to do the quad with all the signings to cover this bill lol, who knows!?

Leeds were almost in trouble last season with the squad they have now, imagine if they kept the players they had when they were relegated from prem to championship.

Lets not forget Ridsdale! **punch

Ahwell all is fresh now, promotion is definately needed this season though! On our way atleast.

Let not forget Juventus a few seasons back getting relegated for their crimes, yet many of the key and influential players stayed, albiet all but guarenteeing a quick and fast tracked return to Serie A, still shows when a team like Arsenal, Man Utd, Chelsea, Liverpool etc go down, it's possible, if not in financial distress, to hold on to a few of the key and big players atleast because there is a strong chance of going straight back up and the club is still of HUGE proportion.

When Leeds got relegated,half of their squad moved out

But,in FM08,if a team like them are relegated,2-3 players just move,and the rest are happy to play in the Championship,their clubs tend to just overprice them,so I hope this is fixed with the re-written transfer code

I don't think so,that Vedran Corluka or Geovanni Dos Santos would like to play in the Championship.

Spurs got relegated on my game and the transfers that happened were dos Santos to Ajax(my team) for £14 million, Corluka to AC Milan for £22 million and Modric to Man Utd for £19.75 million. These are far too expensive in my opinion IRL I think they would go for half that amount.

To be fair Leeds were a big club with alot of good international players who had played in the Premier League for years when they went down, so the huge clear out was expected. Teams like Derby, Reading, Sheff Utd didn't have that big a cull because there players weren't really of the same quality that Leeds had.

When Leeds went down, they where also in massive amounts of debt, so even if they'd have stayed up, most of the squad would have been sold.

Leeds aren't really the best team to base a "what normally happens" type post on. As others said, teams like Reading have kept most of their squad together after going down.

Fixed

I mean players like McFadden, Seb, Kelly and Murphy who are all capable of playing at the highest level stayed!

Kelly? Are you sure, whenever I see them play, which is quite a lot due to living in Birmingham, Kelly never looks Prem standard at all.

Kelly is solid as a rock at the back and covers for the donkey that is Ridgewell all the time.

Some teams are also not willing to sell when players have a lot of time left on contracts.

Ridgewell was good at Villa, awful for you in the Prem but he's doing a good job in the championship. He's championship quality at best.

Ridgewell still makes idiotic mistakes but luckily the Championship quality is so poor they are not punished therefore rarely noticed.

Blues have alot of good players and we will win the Championship this year but fear we could be coming straight back down!

No I disagree. McLeish is a good manager and when you get promoted into the Prem you won't go back down. I don't think. Fingers crossed

Juventus is for Italy is what the Pope is for the Vatican , nowhere near Leeds .

Depends who your talking to, and to me it's an insult! :( I could care less for Juventus when it comes to Leeds.

However realistically what you say is truthful, it varies lets not forget that.

But like i've said and others, the main thing was Leeds hundreds of millions of pounds debt and huge wage bill, did not help one bit.

Indeed it always counts to how the manager thinks the team performed.

I'm a Birmingham fan so can use them as an example.

When we where relegated 3 years ago, there where MANY players released/sold

Jermaine Pennant, Emile Heskey, Kenny Cunningham, Stan Lazaridis, Mario Melchiot, Chris Sutton, Jamie Clapham, in january Matthew Upson and a lot more.

There where also many players signed ie Muamba Larsson (Both on loan originally) Neil Danns, Andy Cole (Loan) Jaidi N'Gotty etc etc.

How ever as already mentioned, this year we've sold only Fabrice Muamba for a nice 5 million, Daniel De Ridder went for free, Richard Kingson was released, Kapo was also sold, Quedrue was also told he can leave for free but is still in our team and now actually performing.

People like Seb Larsson & James McFadden, both could of went the premiership but our board kept them, Maik Taylor was linked with Liverpool and even though it would be as a back up he preferred to play first team football with blues, it's always a different scenario and it just depends on funds and whether players performed to an appropriate standard.

That's my view on this any way :)

Matti.

You can't peg the blame onto O'Leary with the transfers. It would be ludicrous to think that the manager had the ability to write blank cheques.

I believe that the chairman believed Leeds were going to make the grade in the Champions League, and when that failed to happen, they'd over-spent without the cushion of the cash-cash monies windfall of the Champions League... well, try balancing the books when you're severely in the red... not going to happen. I have a special place in my heart for Leeds, but I can't forgive poor management. Or over-ambitious goals. Who on earth would provide money on an uncertain future event occurring? Silly, silly. Back to BA101, pls!

I've had Man U relegated relatively early in my game (and not due to points reduction, just a ridiculously bad patch of form which caused morale to plummet) and Rooney, Ronaldo, Vidic, Tevez etc all left to big clubs. They bounced straight back up and made quite a few big-name purchases and have gone on to do well, although the squad's completely different. Seems quite realistic to me.

Out of interest, who did Leeds sell when they got relegated? I can't remember there being too many players that clubs were rushing to buy, despite their drop in value, Smith, Robinson and Milner were the only players of note IIRC.

Viduka, Matteo, all of what you said above. Virtually the ENTIRE squad bare Frazer Richardson, Duberry, Carson, Gary Kelly. However Carson and Duberry left not long after and Kelly also.

Richardson stayed and is now club captain :)

You can't peg the blame onto O'Leary with the transfers. It would be ludicrous to think that the manager had the ability to write blank cheques.

I believe that the chairman believed Leeds were going to make the grade in the Champions League, and when that failed to happen, they'd over-spent without the cushion of the cash-cash monies windfall of the Champions League... well, try balancing the books when you're severely in the red... not going to happen. I have a special place in my heart for Leeds, but I can't forgive poor management. Or over-ambitious goals. Who on earth would provide money on an uncertain future event occurring? Silly, silly. Back to BA101, pls!

Fair point, but after finishing 5th, 4th, 3rd, 4th you would've thought that the next step was to challenge for the league. Although now it seems foolish that Ridsdale pumped all that money into transfers, we were all getting ready for the domination that Leeds had in the late 60's and 70's. For me the downfall was not the squad we had, we should never have gone down with Carson, Smith, Viduka, Matteo, Milner, Lennon, Kelly ect. But the trial of Bowyer & Woodgate, and the fact that O'Leary published a book called "Leeds United On Trial", while still being manager. This was the most stupid thing that he could've done, a money grabbing stunt which effectively ruined the players morale. This started the downfall, and even when we had Venables, who was quite willing to offload the players, albeit with the help of Ridsdale, we were never going to get back to the glory days anytime soon.

I've found sometimes this isn't so bad but other times it is ridiculous. For example, I had a game where City were relegated and most of their good players left. Micah Richards, Elano, etc all departed. But I also had a save where Arsenal ran into problems and got relegated, yet they still had Igor Akinfeev (the best keeper in the world at the time) and several other world class players whose names would mean nothing to you because they were newgens.

It would be better if this followed real life patterns more closely because when a decent side gets relegated I'm usually the one looking to profit from their misfortune by signing their stars.

Buffon at Juventus anybody? :p (as others have said)

But i agree that maybe there should be slightly more activity!

I think its down to the clubs history, reputation and ambition of the manager end of the day. Reputation hardly drops when a team is religated on the game, so hardy anyone feels there 'above the club'. But yes real life buffon, nedved, trez have had a great past at the club and wanted to help them out, juventus is a world class club, the manager wanted to go straight back up and didnt even consider letting them go.

I think its down to the clubs history, reputation and ambition of the manager end of the day. Reputation hardly drops when a team is religated on the game, so hardy anyone feels there 'above the club'. But yes real life buffon, nedved, trez have had a great past at the club and wanted to help them out, juventus is a world class club, the manager wanted to go straight back up and didnt even consider letting them go.

The manager went straight back up...and left :o

aren't you forgetting about Juventus?

A lot of their team stayed at the club when they went down, including Buffon and Del Pierro

Del Pierro will never leave Juve though. And while it was a good gesture by Buffon, if they hadnt have come straight back up, he and most of the others would have gone. Buffon was a quality enough player to not have his international prospects damaged by that one season.

Del Pierro will never leave Juve though. And while it was a good gesture by Buffon, if they hadnt have come straight back up, he and most of the others would have gone. Buffon was a quality enough player to not have his international prospects damaged by that one season.

The same Del Pireo that recently said he would like to finish his career abroad?

"If I was only thinking about money, I would not have remained - or renewed my contract," insisted the veteran forward. "And in any case, this will be my last team. In Italy, at least."

Hmmmmmm im good am i not?

The same Del Pireo that recently said he would like to finish his career abroad?

If he really wanted to play abroad he would have left by now.

Also what you quoted doesnt equate to him saying he wants to finish his career abroad, it equates to him saying he would never move to another club in Italy.

If he really wanted to play abroad he would have left by now.

Also what you quoted doesnt equate to him saying he wants to finish his career abroad, it equates to him saying he would never move to another club in Italy.

Do you have any proof that he would have already left if he wanted to play abroad or are you making huge assumptions?

I can't see Del Piero leaving either. Normally when players want to finish their career abroad, they leave earlier. If he had wanted to move abroad, that was the perfect time and opportunity for him but he chose not to, so can't really see him leaving unless it's for an extra payday in MLS or middle east or something.

Do you have any proof that he would have already left if he wanted to play abroad or are you making huge assumptions?

Well he's well into his 30s and still there, having signed many contracts to keep staying there over his career, despite having been, at his peak, good enough to play for nearly any club in the world, kind of indicates he has no particular intention of leaving.....

If Juve ever release him he may play abroad before retiring, that is clearly what the quotes you gave mean. but I dont see them doing that, they will let him stay until retirement.

Archived