Will Hull City's season happen in FM?

Hi folks,

Its been a long time since I've posted here, but I was just intrigued - is Hull City's run reproducable in FM? As it is mainly based on stats it must be very hard to replicate into the game, if even possible. I have always wondered whether there would be built in a "Managers" boost where the players play out of their skin as they've had the same manager for seasons and their desire to stay up or play well.

Obviously non of us have seen FM09, but my distinct feeling would be that Hull will be close to the bottom as their players aren't world beaters compared to the rest even though they are playing like they are at the moment. If you look at the Arsenal game and put the two teams together, Arsenal's stats are going to be superior. I know freak results do happen in the game, but Hull are currently doing it week in, week out.

Thoughts?

I think the only way Hull City can perform on FM like IRL is if the user controls them there are players that have got their team promoted and finished in the top 4 the following season. I think Hull will be relegated on my first FM09 game but I hope they dont.

I would put money on their CA's been lower had they been decided before the start of the season. This is no criticism of SI, but although they're clearly punching above their weight, a large number of City players have proven to be a lot better than most people anticipated. This is especially so because they had a rotten pre-season too.

Guest ajdavies
Hull are currently doing it week in, week out.

Can we wait until at least christmas before we start deciding what people are doing 'week in, week out'.

Sorry to break the news to you but Hull will not finish third because they aren't good enough.

I think the chances are it'll be the same as Reading did in the prem, first season top ten. As much as teams are about quality players they're about team spirit. I'm sure everyone's taken a team up a division in FM and been shocked when they finish in the top half of the table the following season despite having no new players.

And of course Hull will do well in FM09, why? Dean Windass. Need I say more? ;)

Agreed with the City fan thats already posted, sadly i think we'll be relegated on most games, as no one, even the most optimistic of us fans, could have predicted how well we're doing. It could all come unstuck this week with 2 very tough games.

What i am interested in though, is what sort of reputation and pulling power we will have on the game...

"pulling power"? In Hull? :p

Now now, the city as a whole has improved! Granted it still isn't brilliant, but hey we managed to persuade a Brazilian!

And i don't think we will be fighting, i believe we'll finish 12th/13th. Started off well, keep picking points up and we'll be fine. Hopefully it will be replicated in the game!

One great aspect of FM is it is often unpredictable imo.

therefore it will vary greatly on each players game, however more often then not i assume they will struggle. Though i'm sure there will always be a surprise in there and they will shock a few with a solid season...perhaps become a new powerhouse in someones game?

Hull Will be fighting near the end of the seaosn.

Yes...but where? I highly doubt that it will be a relegation dogfight - though anything is possible.

As a Hull fan I am, of course, delighted with the start we have made to the season - the best by a promoted/new team in this division in 115 years!

The key to Hull's success is that the players will fight tooth and nail for the team - that was, among other things, the key to our success last season, and so far is this.

Hull do have a few quality players though - Zayatte and Turner at the back are immense, as is Myhill in goal. Geovanni is proving that he can do it at this level still, despite previous failures. Ashbee is surprising everyone (don't know why though - he's always been great) with his immense performances in the centre of midfield.

King and Cousin up front are also doing an excellent job. The point is that it is a team effort and there is no reason why Hull cannot keep the run going.

As for City in FM...I would have thought that it rather depends on what the team is like in the Database - I should think that, under a human manager it will be certainly possible to replicate their performance, but more often than not a relegation fight will ensue. Under computer managers I would imagine the results - be it survival or relegation, will be mixed.

Right now Hull are already halfway to having enough points to stay up, I don't think that will be a concern for them come May.

On FM anything is possible because Derby were awful last year and on a few of my saves they had top half finishes and even European qualification.

Let's not get too surprised by this though, it isn't that long since Ipswich came up and qualified for Europe first season, or since Wigan just missed out in their first year in the top flight. It's only in the last few years that the clubs coming up have been so indifferent.

I'm not a Hull fan and have no illusions that they will finish 3rd. It would be funny for the league if they did mind.

My point is, can FM replicate players playing out of their skin even though they are not good enough. If you imagine the loss that they received at Wigan in the game, it would takes games of FM to get their morale up again where as they managed it next match and have carried on from there. Part of it is down to the players but also the manager - which is very hard to have that interaction in game where by AI or human.

I know we're only 9 games in, but that's a quarter of the games for the season and Hull are well on their way to securing Premiership status. I think there problem will be if they get injuries as that will affect the team!

I'm not a Hull fan and have no illusions that they will finish 3rd. It would be funny for the league if they did mind.

My point is, can FM replicate players playing out of their skin even though they are not good enough. If you imagine the loss that they received at Wigan in the game, it would takes games of FM to get their morale up again where as they managed it next match and have carried on from there. Part of it is down to the players but also the manager - which is very hard to have that interaction in game where by AI or human.

I know we're only 9 games in, but that's a quarter of the games for the season and Hull are well on their way to securing Premiership status. I think there problem will be if they get injuries as that will affect the team!

You made the point, and it's a good one. The problem will be trying to replicate the motivational skills that a real life manager can bring after such a hammering, obviously it isn't as easy within the game.

Well in my Lincolnshire and Humberside database I expect them to be regular winners in the 09 game, in my 08 version Grimbo Scunny, Lincoln and Hull shared roughly evenly winnings over 10 seasons.

We shall see how Hull do, I belive they can make a Euro place, they shall prove it with more than a point from their next two games, ManU and Chel(insert cash here)sea.

I agree, they have 1/2 the 40 points needed to stay up already so I think they will survive, they won't do so well in FM though, well, I'd be very suprised if they did!

You say that but in my FM08 Derby never got relegated in the first season. Never

There is no way in gods earth Hull will get relegated this year.

It's hard to say. I can't see it myself, but the next two games will show just how strong they really are. I don't think anybody expects them to get anything from them so it will be interesting to see how they react after this. They could go on and fcarry on doing well, or they could slip towards a Derby style season. We just don't know.

Hull City's "season" is far from over yet. Who's to say that they won't hit a slump in form and find themselves sliding towards the relegation zone? If you want my opinion, they'll be just fine this season. However, it's impossible to say how they should be realistically portrayed in FM because they've only played 10 games yet. There's 28 more to go.

I imagine most of us will see them struggling in our games.

It's a game, I can firmly say that FM will try to match up teams and give a realistic view of football management in a gaming world. Yes upsets and strange things will happen but in general the moment you boot up FM stop trying to relate it to Real Life results. Yes on Paper Arsenal should beat Hull and in FM no doubt the stats etc. will show that Arsenal should win but a bit of luck and a fantastic goal throws all planning into the air and hopefully this will be seen in FM.

Remember its a game for you to live out your dream of football management not a real life score database! ;)

It's a game, I can firmly say that FM will try to match up teams and give a realistic view of football management in a gaming world. Yes upsets and strange things will happen but in general the moment you boot up FM stop trying to relate it to Real Life results. Yes on Paper Arsenal should beat Hull and in FM no doubt the stats etc. will show that Arsenal should win but a bit of luck and a fantastic goal throws all planning into the air and hopefully this will be seen in FM.

Remember its a game for you to live out your dream of football management not a real life score database! ;)

You don't get the point I'm making. Imagine if you were Hull City in FM and had them promoted season after season to reach the Premier League. The players would "love" you and want to give their heart and soul for you and the club. In FM it doesn't matter how good a manager you are, you can never really gain this momentum with the team. Its not just about beating Arsenal or any one else - its about the chance of doing something like Hull have. That should be in the game!

Just imagine talking Moor Green from the lower depths up to the Premier League - then if Hull's Premiership start could happen 1/100 times, you'd feel proud.

Hi folks,

Its been a long time since I've posted here, but I was just intrigued - is Hull City's run reproducable in FM? As it is mainly based on stats it must be very hard to replicate into the game, if even possible. I have always wondered whether there would be built in a "Managers" boost where the players play out of their skin as they've had the same manager for seasons and their desire to stay up or play well.

Obviously non of us have seen FM09, but my distinct feeling would be that Hull will be close to the bottom as their players aren't world beaters compared to the rest even though they are playing like they are at the moment. If you look at the Arsenal game and put the two teams together, Arsenal's stats are going to be superior. I know freak results do happen in the game, but Hull are currently doing it week in, week out.

Thoughts?

it is a daft idea i am a newcastle fan and if hull were programmed to be great in the first season it would have to work both ways with spurs and newcastle being pish and as a newcastle fan i would not like it.anyway they don't programme teams to do great i think like real liufe the best teams playing at there best finish at the top or round about it so hull with there sqaud will struggle but may stay up.what your saying is asking the guys who make it to basicly fix the game so hull do great.

Both Stoke and especially Hull have impressed me this season , but i think Westbrom will go down.

How can you say that, Stoke are terrible and just play kick and rush, they don't deserve to be in that league.

If Hull start well, build some confidence and have some luck going there way, of course they can do well in FM.

On FM, teams will tend to do as predicted, but in individual seasons teams over and under perform. The same is true of real life.

Hull has at least good players on all positions and they play a very clever game using all possible strengths available. Also self confidence has been high all season long and now it's through the roof and that adds to their game. Man I love those Tigers! Some might call me gloryhunter, but from the first game, a good performance against Fulham, I can say I've been a fan of them. Now there is another team alongside Pompey to root for in the EPL.

But back to subject. Manager Phil Brown should be given great stats in FM 09 as he is the biggest factor in this fairytale that came true. Great acquisitions and a bold good tactic and seems to know how to motivate his lads. The team is well built, in case of injuries. Only the former member of Los Cules, Geovanni, is a player that would be very hard to replace.

Tony Warner should be an adequate replacement for Boaz Myhill, who has been a tremendous shot stopper.

In defence there are Gardner, Ricketts, Brown and Mendy who could fill in. Ricketts and Gardner might as well be starting.

In midfield Stelios, Barmby, Hughes and Halmosi can step in and contribute.

And up front there are no less than 4 at least capable replacements in Fagan, Garcia, Folan and of course Windass.

I don't see their success as a fluke, but riding as high as tied for second place is simply marvellous. As I said this is a fairytale that actually has come true.

Come on you Tigers! Bring home the league title!!! Well UCL qualification would be more realistic... :D

You don't get the point I'm making. Imagine if you were Hull City in FM and had them promoted season after season to reach the Premier League. The players would "love" you and want to give their heart and soul for you and the club. In FM it doesn't matter how good a manager you are, you can never really gain this momentum with the team. Its not just about beating Arsenal or any one else - its about the chance of doing something like Hull have. That should be in the game!

Just imagine talking Moor Green from the lower depths up to the Premier League - then if Hull's Premiership start could happen 1/100 times, you'd feel proud.

Point Taken, but just as in real life board and fans expect more and more. Maybe Hull Fans and board are loving Phil Brown like nothing, but how long this bubble will last when things start to turn? A lot of good managers have taken teams to the Premiership only to be dumped on the dole queue as soon as things turn sour.

I really admire what Phil and Hull City have achieved but a lot of fans and investors are only interested when a team are winning which brings added pressures to the job to make sure income levels are maintained and progressed.

I cant see Hull doing as well in FM09 in the first 9 games as they have done IRL, I mean they've amassed more points in 9 games than Derby did in an entire season! By the end of the season IRL Hull will probably be between 8th and 14th, and on the game I expect they'll be between 15th and 20th. So by the end of both seasons they might not be so far apart. Spurs on the other hand will probably finish between 14th and 20th IRL, yet on the game they could quite easily finish in the top 4.

I wonder how good Hoffenheim will be? At the moment they are first in the Bundesliga.

In oh eight they weren't all that strong a team... I think I saw them getting promoted once though, end of second season or something.

By the way, Hull City are friggin' awesome. This is all mental. They've been the underdog everybody was expecting to get slaughtered in a league they were told they don't belong in even before the thing even started. F*ck the naysayers, they feel they're clearly here to stay and kick some arse! What do they have to loose, right? A good start helps, and a promotional campaign like theirs too. Dean Windass, pure drama. Spirits are bound to be over the moon after campaigns like that. I mean, Hull's hardly a first. Underdogs performing well for periods of time have always happened, eventually their streak might end, though.

Focusing on the issue of Hull (and Hoffenheim for that matter in FM09), I've long noted that new editions of FM do tend reflect the early season form of teams. Thus I wouldn't be at all surprised to see Hull doing pretty well with Spurs and Newcastle doing badly as AI teams - not to the extreme of real life [what a surreal phrase!], but maybe affected by their respective morales at the start of the season.

More to the point - will Phil Brown's stats & reputation be high in FM09?, which may help a poorer team do better than expected. A lot of Derby fans still think he is the worst manager they ever had and that he hasnt a clue, though he has always impressed me, even then, with his attitude & football philosophies.

Re: Hoffenheim: Few expected them to do that well as they've been doing so far, but nobody saw them as a serious relegation spot contender. In fact, generally it was believed that they would appear in the comfy regions of the table, and good enough to be in for a surprise or two.

Archived