Ripping into ungrateful players - Fan confidence in press releases?

I am managing Ajax and managed to sign Van Der Vaart for £3.4 million from Real Madrid after he was transfer listed by his own request after making just 4 substitute appearances all season. He signed a deal for 54k a week making him the highest paid player in my team, he was awesome for 21 games with an average rating of 7.8 15 goals and 16 assists. Then he broke his leg and was out for 6 months during this time his wages were paid but as soon as he reached full fitness Man Utd started sniffing around and he got unhappy straight away and wanted to leave. The chairman accepted an offer of £31 million for him from Man Utd which didnt really bother me as its alot of cash and we managed without him for 6 months.

I know it doesnt happen much if at all in real life but surely I should be able to come out to the press and say how much of an ungrateful so and so Van Der Vaart is and how selfish he is for using Ajax especially after the faith we showed in him with paying his wages when no one else wanted him. I know Man Utd are a bigger club so its obvious he would want to go but surely I should have the ability to slag him off to the press.

This could obviously have good and bad consequences fans could agree with you upping their confidence in you or they could dislike it and this could drop your reputation with the fans.

Sorry for the rant I just hate ungrateful players lol. Anyone else ever feel like this?

I'm just like you, I hate it when players get injured for a long peroid of time then as soon as their fit again they get snapped up by another clube, being able to 'slag' them off in the press would be quite a good feauture to implement, but like you said, it would have either positive or negative effects on you and your club.

Well you get questioned by the media when you're rumoured to be interested in a player, so you should also get asked about the (important) players who have recently left for whatever reason.

Personally I think there should be a lot more media involvement with all aspects of transfers. Look at the b*tchfest in the media between liverpool and villa over barry. In FM, all you can really do is declare an interest. It'd be great to put pressure on clubs and other managers over transfers and also players demanding to leave or who have forced a move for themselves.

Also if players who you forced out criticise you after they've moved, that could have an effect on the rest of your side's morale and confidence in you. It might make you think twice about forcing players out just because you don't fancy them.

Personally, i really hate it that EVERYTIME a bigger club comes in for one of your players they ALWAYS want to go, i know this is the case most of the time, but i find it ridiculous when basically your whole first team wants to leave, this isn't always the case in real life as some players at least have a bit of loyalty to the club and manager that had faith in them, and will want to stay a while, not come in in january and wants to leave in july....

I would of liked an option to say to Van Der Vaart privately that being as the club paid his wages through his injury if he agrees to stay for one more season I will place him on the transfer list and he is free to leave for a fee I see fit. If he disagreed I could maybe come out to the press and say that he will rot in the reserves rather than sell him for a fee I dont like. Although if the chairman accepted an offer this would make me look a bit of an idiot. The only reason my chairman accepted an offer was because I offered Van Der Vaart out for £80 million and got this offer back which he took. I hate players like this.

I like this idea as once I brought a player from the reserves at Bolton and got him to worth £12,000,000. Birmingham offered £10,000,000 in January and I rejected as they were in the same division and were relegation fighters like me. All of a sudden, this player that I had brought so much to kept going AWOL and played awful and requested a transfer.

He went for £11,500,000 in the end and I really wanted to call a press conference!

This problem is a pain, however there is a workaround, as by negotiating the offer to something ridiculous means that 99% of the time, the buying team will withdraw with no negative consequences to the players attitude.

I am managing Ajax and managed to sign Van Der Vaart for £3.4 million from Real Madrid after he was transfer listed by his own request after making just 4 substitute appearances all season. He signed a deal for 54k a week making him the highest paid player in my team, he was awesome for 21 games with an average rating of 7.8 15 goals and 16 assists. Then he broke his leg and was out for 6 months during this time his wages were paid but as soon as he reached full fitness Man Utd started sniffing around and he got unhappy straight away and wanted to leave. The chairman accepted an offer of £31 million for him from Man Utd which didnt really bother me as its alot of cash and we managed without him for 6 months.

I know it doesnt happen much if at all in real life but surely I should be able to come out to the press and say how much of an ungrateful so and so Van Der Vaart is and how selfish he is for using Ajax especially after the faith we showed in him with paying his wages when no one else wanted him. I know Man Utd are a bigger club so its obvious he would want to go but surely I should have the ability to slag him off to the press.

This could obviously have good and bad consequences fans could agree with you upping their confidence in you or they could dislike it and this could drop your reputation with the fans.

Sorry for the rant I just hate ungrateful players lol. Anyone else ever feel like this?

I know that not many of you will agree with me but to be fair I don't think that VDV is being ungrateful! You have just made over 25M on a player in about a year! I think that is an amazing investment and yes I know that you argued that you saved him from his Real hell and paid his wages whilst he was injured for 6 months but let me ask you a question, if a more established/prestigeous competitor from the industry that you work in came knocking on your door offering you a better job paying more money would you say no??

Honestly, in this case I'd say the 27 million profit makes me wonder who exactly has to be grateful in your situation. :rolleyes:

I guess it's fairly obvious that a vdV moving back to Ajax can only be a short term move or a move at the end of his carreer so I guess what happened what a good and fair deal for everyone involved.

In other situations I wouls also like to be able to complain publicly, be it about a player of mine or about the chairman accepting offers above my head.

i think the problem is with van der vaart

he has switch clubs every summer in my current game, moving from real madrid to ac milan to barca to inter to man utd to chelsea and all of them

i hope he is not like that in rreal life

His loyalty stats for FM08 was set after he made this extreme fuzz about trying to force his move from HSV to Valencia. Not having looked at it one can expect the loayalty stat to be somewhat low.

Btw I hope it is raised now even though he moved this summer. The Valencia story in my view was an aberration from his usual behaviour and wanting to move from Hamburg to Real is understandable.

I once had a player demand a release clause when I signed him. I gave him £8.75m, double his value with some added on. A year later, Spurs meet the clause. He turns down my contract offers with no clause, and joins them. I really wanted to abuse Jol and him over this, but all I could do was talk about Jol's magical powers. :mad:.

A bit off the topic but it would be great if the development team spent some time to evaluate who are the more loyal players in world football.

Having played the game for some time it appears that 80% of the time my players would become unsettled or unhappy whenever I reject a bid from another club. That so too regardless of whether it´s a big club like Real Madrid or AC Milan.

The loyalty attribute definitely needs to come more into play. In real life not every player will moan or sulk whenever a bid gets rejected. It also goes to show that the club value the importance of that player by not wanting to sell him.

Archived