Are You playing with your hometown team?

I would just like to know, how many of you, particularly those from smaller towns, play with your hometown team?

I myself have found it oddly hmm... pleasing to play with my hometown team, RoPS, which, as beloved as is to me, couldn't really play themselves out of a wetpaper bag. Of course this has more to do with stupid local politics and idiotic football officials in Finland, but that's beside the point.

The point is, they're not the greatest team, their finances suck and it pretty to get anywhere with them, but I play with them just because they are my hometown team.

How many of you also do this and how has it been for you?

P.s. For those in the story room, I bothered first with, I'm terribly sorry.

• Replies 135
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I sometimes like to play as Rushden & Diamonds they used to be my local team before I moved away.

FM07 i managed to get them to Prem after about 11 seasons

FM08 I really struggled and only managed League 1

FM08 seemed alot tougher.... I prefer the challange though!

i`m playing as my hometown team birmingham.i`m 10 seasons in and have won a few trophies in the last few seasons including 3 premiership titles ,3 league cups,2 fa cups,2 champions league`s,2european super cups,and 1 world club championship

I would just like to know, how many of you, particularly those from smaller towns, play with your hometown team?

I myself have found it oddly hmm... pleasing to play with my hometown team, RoPS, which, as beloved as is to me, couldn't really play themselves out of a wetpaper bag. Of course this has more to do with stupid local politics and idiotic football officials in Finland, but that's beside the point.

The point is, they're not the greatest team, their finances suck and it pretty to get anywhere with them, but I play with them just because they are my hometown team.

How many of you also do this and how has it been for you?

P.s. For those in the story room, I bothered first with, I'm terribly sorry.

Generally I dont like being them or my fave club (thats Bournemouth / Man City respectively). This year I may try both for different reasons.

i am i playing with forest green rovers, i normally get them into the next division with two years, its easy to get them promoted!! just nick all the u 18's from the premiership, then next year you can sell them for like 250 k! but i normally get bored after 3 seasons.

Yes i am

Middlesbrough!

my hometown team arent good enough to be on FM haha, although when i lived in Marske, i remember seeing them on it a few times, but just the odd occasion, so i use the next town and my supported team, Middlesbrough like CarlHighfield :p

never actually had a longterm game with them though, something to try in 09

I usually play as a local team. My hometown team is several divisions below what is represented on FM but I play as another local team. Sometimes as Berwick Rangers in Scotland, probably start as Blyth Spartans on FM09 (which is the geographically closest team I can use) and I also now have the chance to play as Gateshead. But I always like a lower league team - I never feel the need to start as Newcastle.

I always start every new FM with the team I support (Man Utd), but I can't play as my local team because they arn't in the game :(. My hometown team is Warrington Town and they are not even in the Blue Square North lol.

St. Albans City for me - I usually have a game managing the mighty Saints as they are my local club.

I always start at the very bottom and so, if I am playing in England, I tend to start my managerial career at Clarence Park.

I was born in Hitchin and so, on rare occasions, I have been known to manage the Canaries if they get promoted up after the 1st season.

Also, sometimes I manage a club in another country and usually pick clubs from places that I have visited.

However, I find it most satisfying to take St. Albans City into the football league! :)

My hometown team would be Formby, who play about five or six levels below what's playable in the English leagues on FM. So the answer is no. The closest playable team to me is Southport, who are also my second team. But I'm not managing them.

Worthing will never be available, but the only game I've played as Brighton and Hove Albion for my first play was This Is Football 2003. I support Manchester United also and used to choose them, but in FM 06 and 07 they are pretty poor...or maybe that's just me...so I start unemployed.

I've played as Brighton in CM 01/02 (where they have no money, ugh) for a short time, but I did play as them in CM 93/94 and got them promoted all the way to the Premiership. :D

i used to start with clyde. In one game done really well getting them into SPL and in top six finish as well but money constraints and the Old Firm or Champonship sides kept stealing my best players made it hell. So took the offer to goto celtic and they struggled after that :(

My home town team would be Chimney Corner in N.I

No I am not playing as them.

This is because i actually like to enjoy playing FM, and I'm not a masochist. :D

I have a save going withthem just now. In my third season. Man are they *****.

Yes but I usually get bored playing with Bayern fairly quickly. At least i did in FM08. I hope i can stick to a save with Bayern longer on 09. This is why i play with my other hometown club 1860 sometimes despite them being our rivals at least they are more of a challenge ingame.

Archived