Is this a good lapop?

On Monday you'll know ;) (specs on mondays blog)

Looks good, only comment I'd make is that a lot of games these days need a good graphics card - don't know anything about that particular model but with laptops i always tend towards the ATI chipsets. but that's just personal preference really.

Try to stay away from Advent if you can. I know because i have one myself :( Its ok, but nothing more - their customer support is not great, hard to find drivers etc. etc.

And if you, like me, want to use Ubuntu or other Linux OS - you will have trouble with function keys, which means you cannot turn on the WLAN.

Otherwise its ok.

If you want a laptop for gaming, you might check out this benchmark list of different graphic cards that is used in laptops

looks like a decent lappy for the price, nice hard disk size and memory. It could use a faster processor and probably it be a bit cumbersome, but you can't expect too much for that price.

If you have a bit of spare wonga to splash out, there is a very good deal on the dell xps m1330 this couple of days. £629 delivered, nearly as light as a macbook air and a great computer, better build quality than most dells as well.

Also there is a deal on the dell inspiron 1525 which gives a system with pretty much the same specs (slightly less memory but a slightly faster processor) as the one you've linked at pretty much the same price if you customize it a bit. the inspirons are not built as well as xps but probably slightly better than the advent.

Both of them are linked off the dell front page if you click on the big advert that fills it.

The vostro range is quite alright as well if you don't mind a laptop that weighs a bit, but there are no good deals at the moment that I can see.

That's a rubbish laptop, all companies like Currys, PC World and Tesco all try to flog useless laptops that are over priced. That laptop has a rubbish graphics card and so there is not much you can do with it unless you want to play word processing. Never buy something that doesn't contain either an nvidia or ati card. Have a look around websites like www.ebuyer.com www.overclockers.co.uk and www.scan.co.uk and you might find something you like. Just make sure you check around alot and not go for the first one you see.

If it's a laptop you want to keep for some time I recommend you spending around £1000-1400 and that will keep you happy for a few years with no problem of running any games.

If it's a laptop you want to keep for some time I recommend you spending around £1000-1400 and that will keep you happy for a few years with no problem of running any games.

But like i sai my price range is £400-£550/600 MAX. I would be getting it for christmas and my parents could not afford to spend that

Of course.

I think you're just showing off the shiny new laptop you're getting ;)

But like i sai my price range is £400-£550/600 MAX. I would be getting it for christmas and my parents could not afford to spend that

Then just make sure you look around on them websites I posted, there's quite a few on there and they vary, the price range differs alot by small differences, £100 might be added on the price just for having Vista Ultimate which isn't needed.

This one http://direct.tesco.com/q/R.204-6256.aspx Beat your Laptop from Currys even thought they have 4GB ram!

It got

Processor Model Number T7500

Processor Speed 2.2GHz

Memory Size 2GB

Graphics Shared Intel® Graphics Media Accelerator X3100, up to 358MB Shared Graphics Memory

It cost only £350 which bargain Laptop

I would be very temping to Buy one from Tesco Direct

The Toshiba looks way overpriced. Upsides of it are a big screen and nice speakers for a laptop but I'm not sure how much of an issue size is for you - it won't be very portable being that large.

With the acer, it depends what other games you plan on playing. It has a decent enough graphics card, but is also going to be pretty large. I'm biased against acers cause I had one of their motherboards fail on me a week after it went out of warranty, so I can't really give a neutral opinion on them.

What other priorities do you have? Size & weight; storage; what other games would you be playing? Is Blu-ray important? Do you need bluetooth? There's a whole world of questions.

This one http://direct.tesco.com/q/R.204-6256.aspx Beat your Laptop from Currys even thought they have 4GB ram!

It got

Processor Speed 2.2GHz

Memory Size 2GB

Graphics Shared Intel® Graphics Media Accelerator X3100, up to 358MB Shared Graphics Memory

This looks like an alright deal actually, nice processor but you will want to think about whether you can cope with a hard drive that small and about your graphical needs as this has only integrated graphics. Also it's an acer, so again, I'm slightly wary of them, but others like them a lot.

Then just make sure you look around on them websites I posted, there's quite a few on there and they vary, the price range differs alot by small differences, £100 might be added on the price just for having Vista Ultimate which isn't needed.

Careful with ebuyer, in my opinion their customer service is non-existent. Also, the only decent deal I can see on there (Fujitsu Siemens V5545) is out of stock. Can't see much in the way of decent deals at overclockers, though I've only had a quick skim over. The scan site is so badly designed imo that I don't even know where to begin looking...

ive just got a pc from ebuyer you could try there,its a acer verton 464 4gb ram intel duel qaud core processers Q66OO 2.40 GHz FOR £430,or is it a lap top u want,and just for the record ive tried fm08 on it, loaded 12 leagues all playable large database and loaded players from all south america brazil argentina etc and it flew through the processing i could of probley loaded another 5 to 6 playable leagues

Yeah Dell if your hoping it doesnt break, If your thinking your laptop may break then think about another company!!!

why? I have owned 2 dell laptops and they have been fine. If you are going to buy though buy through the small business section, stay away from home, its more expensive and the warranty is as good.

It got

Processor Speed 2.2GHz

Memory Size 2GB

If it's running vista I disagree. You need a lot of memory to run vista effectively and then put the game on top of it... I wouldn't get a system for Vista with less than 3gb ram personally.

ive just got a pc from ebuyer you could try there,its a acer verton 464 4gb ram intel duel qaud core processers Q66OO 2.40 GHz FOR £430,or is it a lap top u want,and just for the record ive tried fm08 on it, loaded 12 leagues all playable large database and loaded players from all south america brazil argentina etc and it flew through the processing i could of probley loaded another 5 to 6 playable leagues

He seems to be looking for a laptop, while desktops have nice specs for a low price, they're not so flexible :)

If it's running vista I disagree. You need a lot of memory to run vista effectively and then put the game on top of it... I wouldn't get a system for Vista with less than 3gb ram personally.

TBH I get by fine with 2 after turning the unnecessary crap in vista off and I never run out of memory. Vista is much better at handling virtual memory than xp as well.

Archived