Defoe in Goal, rotating with the other striker...

Not sure if anyone has had this before, apologises in advance if its old news...

Just played Newcastle in 2012,

Pepe Reina got sent off from them with 10 minutes to go, they had used all their subs so they put Jermain Defoe in goal, which made me laugh as he's not the tallest.

Went to the formation screen to check and noticed he was swapping every minute or so with Newcastle's other striker, Daniele Vantaggiago, at least he is 5 ft 10 inches.

I guess they were set-up to swap positions during the match and the game didn't realise this would be much harder if they were at other ends of the pitch and kept needing to swap shirts and gloves...

Not moaning, just thought it was funny and I'd share it with you.

anyone had much luck with an outfield goalkeeper in goal? From real life examples i can cite a few players who have done fairly well there. I often play with no keeper on the bench as i believe the advantages outweigh the cons. I cant think of an example of losing a keeper actually at all. During a game anyway.

anyone had much luck with an outfield goalkeeper in goal? From real life examples i can cite a few players who have done fairly well there. I often play with no keeper on the bench as i believe the advantages outweigh the cons. I cant think of an example of losing a keeper actually at all. During a game anyway.

If a keeper gets red carded (rare but it's happened to me enough times to warrant having a replacement on the bench), or injured, which happens rarely but has happened, then it's wise to have a keeper on the bench. Maybe you've just been lucky?

What was the result of the match?

Won 4-2, I was 3-2 up before the sending off and was set-up fairly defensively to hold onto the lead, there were only 10 minutes left so i didn't bother changing it.

I don't think I've ever had a keeper injured or sent off and I never put one on the bench.

If a keeper gets red carded (rare but it's happened to me enough times to warrant having a replacement on the bench), or injured, which happens rarely but has happened, then it's wise to have a keeper on the bench. Maybe you've just been lucky?

Thats true but the amount of times a 5th outfireld player on the bench has given me an extra option ive needed to win a game by far outweighs the rare occurance a keeper is sent off. Last time i lost a keeper during a game was possibly in the championship manager era? Between then and now i have so many options on the bench to bring on which i believe has gained me far more points.

Won 4-2, I was 3-2 up before the sending off and was set-up fairly defensively to hold onto the lead, there were only 10 minutes left so i didn't bother changing it.

I don't think I've ever had a keeper injured or sent off and I never put one on the bench.

Oddly enough, I don't recall this happening to me, at least in recent memory.....

I only ever put a keeper on the bench for finals or huge matches...just in case! Or though I havn't had one sent off since CM either

I think its quite realisstic. If you think about real life, when was the last time THE TEAM YOU SUPPORT not just teams in in general, its bound to happen somewhere, needed a sub keeper during a match? For the majority of people this will be some time ago

I think its quite realisstic. If you think about real life, when was the last time THE TEAM YOU SUPPORT not just teams in in general, its bound to happen somewhere, needed a sub keeper during a match? For the majority of people this will be some time ago

Chelsea vs. Manchester United (21/09/08)

Edwin van der Sar injured - Replaced by Tomasz Kuszczak

19/10/08 - Stoke vs Spurs

Sorensen got injured, so bought simonsen on.

Then last season (Can't remember what game this was at) I think we had Russel Hoult in goal, for some reason, and then he got sent off so Simonsen had to be brought on.

But then I've done 7 seasons with spurs and can't recall when I've had to use a substitute keeper even though I have one on the bench at every game.

With the maximum of 7 players on the bench now for league games in England, it is definately worth having the extra keeper on the bench. Even when i only have 5 subs max i always have a keeper. In the A-League (Australia) in 08 you could only have 4 subs, and i'd say 80% of the time i had a keeper back up also.

Just a killer if you don't and your keeper gets sent or injured

I know what you mean there's always the 'what if' thing for me though. If my keeper got sent off 5 minutes into the game I would want a backup at least on the bench. Although not having one does free up your options especially in leagues where only 5 subs are allowed.

I dont support Chelsea but wanted to throw this in, this is a rare example for sure!

14/10/06 - Reading vs Chelsea - Cech replaced by Cudicini

14/10/06 - Reading vs Chelsea 0 Cudicini also injured - replaced by John Terry.

As you can tell from my name I support Arsenal and can't really remember when a sub goalie was needed.

I have one on my bench on Fm but I never used to, can't remember why I started. I think its so my No.1 doesnt think he's too safe and start slacking! :D

I dont support Chelsea but wanted to throw this in, this is a rare example for sure!

14/10/06 - Reading vs Chelsea - Cech replaced by Cudicini

14/10/06 - Reading vs Chelsea 0 Cudicini also injured - replaced by John Terry.

As you can tell from my name I support Arsenal and can't really remember when a sub goalie was needed.

I have one on my bench on Fm but I never used to, can't remember why I started. I think its so my No.1 doesnt think he's too safe and start slacking! :D

Dont you remember Jens Lehmann Champions league final :O

I remember it well i watched it in a bar in france with a Barcelona Fan haha :D

Reading had to take off Hahnemann for Federici last season at Spurs. The previous year, we had to take him off twice, and the opposition had to far more than usual (two examples given above!).

Anyhow, I always keep a keeper on the bench. Once on 07, the AI had no sub keeper due to only having one (fit) goalie at the club. I was Athletico, against Real, and Adan had been covering for Casillas all season. Iker was injured. Torres injured Adan within 10 minutes. The AI put Ronaldo in goal (for obvious reasons!). We won 7-1. Torres and Aguero tormented them :D.

I played 73 mins of a match with my striker, going on to lose respectably 3-1. Goalkeeper sent off for a professional foul.

yeah there are one or too examples in the premiership I can think of. In my long time as a Nottm Forest supporter I can only think of one example a sub keeper was needed. Thats alot of seasons by the way. Our current manager for large periods of last season didnt have a sub keeper, he got quite alot of bad press for it but one was never needed.

In the game as said i never have sub keepers, even when im allowed 7 subs. The best example I can think of, Champions league final, a player in SUB1 position who normally is a keeper when i have one and was deffinatly there in place of a keeper came off the bench and scored the winning goal in stoppage time.

yeah there are one or too examples in the premiership I can think of. In my long time as a Nottm Forest supporter I can only think of one example a sub keeper was needed.

Reading away, 04-05? Keeper sent off for hand ball outside the box.

this is something to be mentioned in bugs forum. As said before, it is a very rare case but maybe AI doesnot reset all the other tactical settings if a outfield player goes to goal. On the other hand I would love to see two forwards keeping goal in turns and running back and forward all the time :)

Reading away, 04-05? Keeper sent off for hand ball outside the box.

Your right, i stand corrected. It was Paul Gerrard I believe. Before that i believe Dave Beasant was the last keeper to be dismissed for forest although i may have forgotten an example as pointed out above. Thats some time ago though

i have played without a keeper on the bench a few times especially in the english league with only 5 subs allowed (thank god they changed that). i have had my fingers burnt a couple of times though my goalie got injured for arsenal in a CL group match it was meaningless thnk god but as it turns out adebayor is quite handy in net he kept it to a reasonable 2 and theo got a hatrick so it tuned out not to bad.

On 07 I was Arsenal in the Champs League Final in my first season. I was versing barcalona and the scores were 0-0 in the 119th minute! Henry is through and the keeper rushes out an slide tacked him. He Got sent off and they had used all there subs. They Put Eto'o in goals for the penalty and Lauren slotted it.

Going back to the OP - I've seen the keeper/striker swap happen when I've had my two strikers swapping positions with each other. If the keeper is sent off and you send on a replacement keeper for one of the strikers, sometimes they still try to swap with each other - if you forget to unset the swap option on both players. Usually happens with human teams, though, not the AI.

I usually play with a good quality sub keeper, who I normally sell at the end of the season because they only get a few games. I usually replace them with another journeyman keeper.

Rooney likes to go keeper in training doesn't he?

Just a couple of weeks ago: de Vries (Swansea 'keeper) suffered a broken jaw after 26mins against QPR. Swansea didn't have a GK on the bench, so defender Alan Tate had to fill in.

0-0 draw. Not a bad effort from Tate :p

I never played a game without a keeper, unless maybe I had none available and didn't want to put a 15 year old in there

Have only had to use a sub keeper 2-3 times, but with 6 further subs on the bench it is quite easy to cover for any possible substitution.

Fun to check the opposition bench though and if they don't have a keeper set tackling on hard for their keeper ;)

On the previous FM my keeper got sent/injured in the UEFA cup final and i had used all my subs so put emre in goal as he had the best goalkeeper rating, went ultra defensive and managed to keep it level till penalties. Then put Dean Ashton in goal and he saved two penalties in the Shoot out. I was ecstatic

Archived