FM 2009 Patches?

Hey everyone, i just wanted to get some advice really. In my experience, the best games are the ones you play for years and years - hark back to the old CM97/98 etc when you could get to 2050 within a few weeks! Basically, ideally id like to spend the time between FM09 and FM10 playing only one game - but can anyone remember how important the patches are usually? Should i wait till the game is fully patched before starting it? What is everyone else going to do about this? I dont want to ruin the game by playing it too much if its going to be improved - its never as interesting 2nd time round!

Any thoughts?

Usually the original version is buggy like hell and the game is not playable until the first patch, so personally I'd test it out first for a few days and wait for some feedback and if it's buggy again then wait til after the first patch.

I personally just patch up and continue playing my game

Yeah the patches are all save-game compatible, and IIRC the first and most important patch for 08 was released days after the game rather than weeks. As Ter says, just get playing and apply the patches as they are released.

If I'm really into a game then I patch and play on. Usually I don't end up starting my career campaign for a few weeks after release anyway though as I get a feel for the new game. Don't worry about it and enjoy. At the end of the day it's only a game.

• SI Staff
Ter - did you keep playing the same game from Demo right through the patches then? Ive been reading some of the stories of games getting into the 22nd century - would be great to get that far into a game....

I think I got through eight seasons of my main FM 2008 game and didn't restart when any patches were available.

In all my time of playing cm/fm from 93 to now I've never had a game breaking bug. I've had a few weird things happen but nothing that stopped me from playing the game. Whenever I have installed patches I usually carry on the game I started out of the box.

Ter, if you patch the game up, could you then carry on with your game with the new patch? Or would you have to start again? I thought you had to start again?

All patches are usually save game compatible nowerdays with FM, so no you don't have to start a new game after patching.

• SI Staff
Ter, if you patch the game up, could you then carry on with your game with the new patch? Or would you have to start again? I thought you had to start again?

You don't HAVE to start again but it may take some time for certain types of fixes to filter through to your game, which isn't really that big an issue usually.

You don't HAVE to start again but it may take some time for certain types of fixes to filter through to your game, which isn't really that big an issue usually.

Is it true that ALL changes will filter through at the start of a new season? I've heard that most work right away and some at the start of new seasons, can you confirm this?

so what would people suggest if I want to stick to just ONE career game between FM09 and FM10? My plan at the moment is to do various 6 month demos with a few different teams, play with the best of those for a while when the boxed game comes out, and then start my career game (with Arsenal - my team) when you lot think the game is "fully patched" - what do people think?

play non-serius for a few days to see if the game has any major bugs like crazy scorelines, unrealistinc comebacks or 5 sendings off in a game!

if not take it serius and get stuck in,

but if its anything close to FM 2008 then i definetly wont be touching it till it gets patched up!

thing im worried about is more the smaller bugs that are only obvious after a few years. as i say, i want to finally have a long term game again on this version, and if thats going to mean lots of bugs after a few years, it will ruin it rather. Can i suggest we use this partly as a bugs forum so that anyone who does want to play a long term game wont get too excited until either the game is patched up or, if we're lucky, the consensus is that no major patches are required....certainly in 08, you wouldnt want to do a long term game starting before the patch - the patch made a huge difference from day one i remember.

and also gazza...unrealistic comebacks like Spurs' the other day?! Jeez - i was at the game, left a couple of minutes early as i had to get home to make an important phone call so i wanted to miss the tube crush. The game I saw was Arsenal 4 - 2 Tottenham!! Was really gutted when the spurs fans around me on the way to the station started screaming and jumping up and down. Can we claim it was an ME bug?! Perhaps then we'll be given an extra two points! :p

Archived