"The game could not be saved" - why?

This happened to me today. If you click on "Save Game As" then if your game is called "arsenal" for example you might have some backup files looking like this "arsenal (backup) (1)" "arsenal (backup) (2)". Delete the backup files and then try and save it again.

Sorry to say Osmann, but I think that save is done.:(

Do other games have the same problem?

And congratz on being a part-timer peter-evo. I just became semi-pro not too long ago. :D

Cheers mate :D I appreciate that, not sure TomHAVFC will be to happy though, thanks though.

Semi-pro eh? check you out :D

have you tried changing the skin

long shot but may work!

I swear, half the posts I see from either of you two, you're correcting the grammar of the other.

We're becoming quite popular on these forums Peter!

I can't take no stick from Tom now as I am a "part-timer" :D

Only because you post "boost" :p

Tom has a future as a grammar teacher when he grows up.:D

It looks possible doesn't it.

have you deleted any databases or patches since you started todays session

and JohnFKennedy, I was quite proud of myself until then!

For some reason, it only save up to 169 MB. My last succesful saved game is 174 MB.

Deleted all backup files

Changed skin

Tried another folder

---- all none working :(

Surely I "boost" about as much as the next guy, this whole thread for example

OP it looks like your game is done for, are you using a third party database because the problem may lie within some options in there!

Peter, I'm joking.

If you were using FM Genie scout while playing your game then your game has more than likely become corrupt.

Peter, I'm joking.

If you were using FM Genie scout while playing your game then your game has more than likely become corrupt.

I just realised how arrogant and uptight I sounded in the last post, sorry Tom, I laughed at the post, maybe a smiley was in order

Can't the modifier do the same?

Surely I "boost" about as much as the next guy, this whole thread for example

OP it looks like your game is done for, are you using a third party database because the problem may lie within some options in there!

How dare you! All my posts have been useful and relevant. Oh wait . . .

JohnFKenny, just ssshhhhhh and don't get involved :p

I'm trying not to, but it's so difficult.

Probably too obvious but since no one else has asked how much space have you got on your hard drive?

Use Windows Defragmenter to analyze your drive and see if it is heavily fragmented and limiting space.

If you have a USB Memory Stick or a spare CD or DVD recordable lying around save it onto that. If you still get the error then it is more than an issue with your hard drive. If you have an mp3 player you could also use that if it is one of those that when plugged into a usb appears as 'removeable storage' (not sure if they all do).

Try going to Options > Preferences, tick 'Compress Save Games', press 'Confirm' to the bottom left. Then try to save your game again. As a wild stab in the dark try the opposite (if it is already ticked then untick it, but available space on the hard drive will impact on this).

Have you tried a save game cleaner?

Guys, I went back to my last working game and tried saving after a month - still it won't let me save. But one thing came to my mind. When I was yesterday, my HD had a low space Approx. 200 MB. Since I deleted some files and freed thereby some space - there's 900 MB.

"When I was yesterday" :D

I don't understand what the HD thing means but what did you have to delete to free up this space, anything FM concerned?

EDIT: Does the same thing happen to other games?

Smartarse!!!

"When I was playing yesterday"

No just deleted ZeitGeist the Movie (700 MB) :)

I don't understand what the HD thing means but what did you have to delete to free up this space, anything FM concerned?

It would, yes. If you don't have the hard disk space, you can't save a file. Regardless of what it is. Save game, video, anything. Nothing can be stored when there isn't the room for it.

EDIT: Yay! A semi-useful contribution to the thread!

I've been told the complete opposite by a computer and FM geek.

Fair enough. All I know is in the bugs forum I've seen testers post back after looking at corrupted save games that parts of the game had been changed artificially using FM Modifier and this was the source of the corruption.

I've never had a save game corruopted by looking at it with Genie but had a few corrupt due to messing around with FM Modifier. If you can get an explanation from this 'geek' (I'm sure he'd be delighted with that :D) I'd be interested to hear it.

It would, yes. If you don't have the hard disk space, you can't save a file. Regardless of what it is. Save game, video, anything. Nothing can be stored when there isn't the room for it.

Smartarse; I like that

If John is right then could you just prove to us the memory is the problem by loading another game and trying to save it!

Edit: John, that was actually useful :thup:

As I said... there's 900 MB space now. So I 'should' be able to save now right? But I'm still getting the saaaaaaame meeeeesage :(

Fair enough. All I know is in the bugs forum I've seen testers post back after looking at corrupted save games that parts of the game had been changed artificially using FM Modifier and this was the source of the corruption.

I've never had a save game corruopted by looking at it with Genie but had a few corrupt due to messing around with FM Modifier. If you can get an explanation from this 'geek' (I'm sure he'd be delighted with that :D) I'd be interested to hear it.

Completely the opposite to me lol. I've had games messed up due to Genie scout but not due to FMM lol. :D

Just as you said it was probably due to lack of HD (hard disk) space.

try & play after you've freed up more space (I mean really, 1GB of free space just doesn't cut it this day & age)

Apparently I have 1MB of free space left but I've deleted everything I don't use. What should I do now?

Apparently I have 1MB of free space left but I've deleted everything I don't use. What should I do now?

Move things off your hard drive onto external storage. How big is your hard drive? To have only 1 MB free is ridiculous. Are you sure it isn't 1 GB?

Check your Recycle Bin and Temporary Internet Files are empty, too.

Archived