AI Experiment - The Youth Academy

The Youth Academy Experiment

Intro

This experiment was inspired by many tales of how you've taken a player from your Youth Academy, how he graced both the U18 side, and the Reserves. Then finally that day where he gets his first team debut, and then how he became a star player, and then captain etc etc.

So, What am I actually doing?

Firstly, I have replaced AFC Wimbledon in the BSS, with 'Youth Team United', a team from London formed in 2007. The team are just like any other BSS team, the same reputation, stadium size, bank balance etc. But with one difference, they have a Youth set-up of 20, and a Youth Academy.

What is the aim of this experiment?

The aim of this experiment is to see just how far Youth Team United can go, by only ever playing players that have come through their Youth system. Giving an example of just what selecting your youth set-up as 20, and having a Youth Academy can do.

Will you be running any other experiments, testing the '20' youth set-up and youth academy at say, other levels?

Yes, there are already plans to do an experiment where a created club will start in the Premier Division and by just using players from their youth set-up, how far down they will go before they start coming back up etc.

How will the experiment run?

1. I will be giving seasonly updates on new players that have come into the youth set-up, who has played, the CA and PA's of these players and how the team has done in all competitions.

What questions am I hoping to answer by doing this experiment?

1. Just what is the effect of having a '20 Youth set-up and a Youth academy'?

2. What will be the average CA/PA of the players brought through the Youth Academy?

3. Will any of the players be able to cut it at the top level?

And i'm sure you will be able to help me with a lot more interesting questions that could potentially by answered by this AI Experiment.

Information on the game set-up

Large Database size, using all leagues from England.

Lets get cracking!...

Season 1, Initial Update –

I took over on 7th July and the first thing I noticed was the media was predicting the team to come 12th, I presumed this was because I had set reputation to around the average for all teams in the BSS, so it more than likely didn’t have anything to do with the players or the Youth Facilities.

Information Screen on Day 1

The next thing I did was take a look at the assistant report, he said that we needed to heavily strengthen the team if we were to live up to expectation in the BSS (a mid table position) which was something that wasn’t going to be happening, so it was a case of hoping for the best.

I then looked on Genie scout to find out the CA and PA’s of the players that had automatically started in the squad, and this was what Genie Scout told me…

First off, Squad Screenie on day 1

Now for the players and their CA,PA's...

Stuart Avery - GK

CA - 40

PA - 111

He looks like a player that will be at the club for a long time, with one of the best PA's in the squad, he really is a fine prospect.

Andrew Salmon - GK

CA - 29

PA - 37

Definitely not one of the better players, I doubt he will be here next season, unless there is a drastic improvement in his PA.

Stuart Barr - DR

CA - 27

PA - 56

Again his PA isn't that high, but he doesn't look all that bad, and if he's lucky will probably be at the club for a few seasons.

David Bower - DL

CA - 40

PA - 51

He might not have the best potential ability, but he does have a good CA so will probably feature quite a bit this season.

Alan Eustace - DC

CA - 46

PA - 51

Another player with not necessarily the highest PA, but that has a good CA. He will also probably feature quite a bit this season.

Grant McGinn - DC

CA - 48

PA - 100

He is another player that will be at the club for the foreseeable future, with a good CA and PA, he could be a vital member of the defense.

Jimmy Palmer - DC

CA - 40

PA - 83

He has a decent CA and PA, which will hopefully see him through a few seasons at the club. Although whether he will be a starter this season is still unsure.

Ron Simpson - DC

CA - 40

PA - 78

He also has a decent CA and PA, another player that could be at the club for a while. Although with competition very tough for the DC position, it will be interesting to see who the starters are.

Per Klausen - ML

CA - 23

PA - 90

An interesting one this one, the Danish player has a very poor CA, but has a very good PA. I doubt he will start this season, but he will probably feature in future seasons quite a bit.

David Brown - MC

CA - 40

PA - 59

The player has a good CA, which will get him games this first season. However his PA isn't that high, so I am not sure if he will be able to stay at the club for as long as he may want.

Andy Clarke - MC

CA - 46

PA - 122

The best player at the club at the moment, well he's at least the one with the biggest potential. Hopefully we can hang on to him as if we do he will be a very good player for us.

Callum Davies - MC

CA - 40

PA - 66

He looks like a good player, with a decent PA, how long he will be at the club I am not sure, but hopefully he will get some games this season.

Les Newman - MC

CA - 40

PA - 94

Another player with a bright PA, I think that if he plays his cards right then he will have a bright future at the club.

Curtis Cleverley - AMR

CA - 40

PA - 104

Again this player has a good CA and also has a very bright PA. He looks like he good be a very important player for us this season, and for a few more seasons too.

Bradley Yates - AMR

CA - 40

PA - 103

CA and PA-wise he is nearly identical to Curtis Cleverley, but the question is, which one of them will be the better AMR for the club not only this season, but in the seasons to come too.

William Flynn - ST

CA - 41

PA - 113

Another player who has a high PA, I think the young Northern Irish player could be a crucial player for the club in the future if he chooses to stay here.

Kenny Lunan - ST

CA - 44

PA - 98

He also has a reasonably high PA, hopefully the kid will have a good future at the club.

Uchechukwu Makinwa - ST

CA - 40

PA - 94

He also has a good CA and PA, as well as having one of the strangest first names I have come across in regens, the Nigerian does look fairly good.

The Stats

Squads Average CA - 39

Squads Average PA - 84

Highest CA - 48

Highest PA - 122

Lowest CA - 23

Lowest PA - 37

Biggest Difference in CA and PA - 76 (46 and 122)

Smallest Difference in CA and PA - 5 (46 and 51)

Next Update will probably be the January Transfer window :thup:

Year 1 - BSS Season 1 - Half-Way Stage

So, we're at the half way stage in our first season. To be honest it's not looking good, with the club sitting bottom, despite this the side is still well in the competition, with them only a few points off of survival.

BSS Table

Now for the Squad -

The Squad

Individual Players -

Stuart Avery - GK

Original CA - 40

Current CA - 42

Original PA - 111

Current PA - 111

The Goalkeeper has been our first choice keeper, with the other goalkeeper not making any appearances so far this season, and will probably only get to do so if Stuart Avery picks up suspensions or injuries.

Andrew Salmon - GK

Original CA - 29

Current CA - 29

Original PA - 37

Current PA - 37

The Goalkeeper hasn't managed to get a game this season because of Stuart Avery being a lot better than him, and as previously said I doubt this guy will get a game unless Stuart Avery does get injured.

Stuart Barr - DR

Original CA - 27

Current CA - 25

Original PA - 56

Current PA - 56

The player has actually got worse as the season has gone on, which could be for a number of reasons. In my opinion it is probably because he has been injured, which has kept him out of the squad for a while.

David Bower - DL

Original CA - 40

Current CA - 41

Original PA - 51

Current PA - 51

The left-back has got slightly better as the season has gone on, but nothing major, despite him being the first choice left back.

Alan Eustace - DC

Original CA - 46

Current CA - 41

Original PA - 51

Current PA - 51

As shown here Eustace has got a lot worse since the start of the season, with a decrease of 5 in his CA. He's played quite a lot, so it could possibly be to do with his teams poor performances.

Grant McGinn - DC

Original CA - 48

Current CA - 51

Original PA - 100

Current PA - 100

McGinn has got quite a bit better so far this season, hopefully he will continue to get better, which will help Youth United in their defense.

Jimmy Palmer - DC

Original CA - 40

Current CA - 39

Original PA - 83

Current PA - 83

This player has also got a tiny bit worse, but again it's only 1 CA point so I don't think it will have that much of an effect on his performance.

Ron Simpson - DC

Original CA - 40

Current CA - 40

Original PA - 78

Current PA - 78

This player has made no change in his CA, hopefully he will improve shortly and contribute more to the teams chances of staying up.

Per Klausen - ML

Original CA - 23

Current CA - 23

Original PA - 90

Current PA - 90

Despite being our first choice left midfielder, Per Klausen hasn't made any notable improvements, which wont do us much good if we want to stay in this division.

David Brown - MC

Original CA - 40

Current CA - 41

Original PA - 59

Current PA - 59

David Brown has gained 1 CA point, which shows that he is improving, whether this is slow or not, improvement is always welcome.

Andy Clarke - MC

Original CA - 46

Current CA - 47

Original PA - 122

Current PA - 122

Another player that has improved by 1 CA point, the player with the highest PA in our squad needs to keep making tidy improvements if we are to stay in the division.

Callum Davies - MC

Original CA - 40

Current CA - 38

Original PA - 66

Current PA - 66

This player has made a slight dip with a loss of 2 CA points, hopefully he can regain those points and become a better player to help Youth United in their relegation fight.

Les Newman - MC

Original CA - 40

Current CA - 37

Original PA - 94

Current PA - 94

Another player that has made a dip in his CA, he is another player that will hopefully regain those points and help Youth United in their relegation battle.

Curtis Cleverley - AMR

Original CA - 40

Current CA - 44

Original PA - 104

Current PA - 104

With one of the highest PA's in the squad it's very important that Curtis Cleverley keeps improving like he has already, he could be one of the main men in Youth United's survival plans.

Bradley Yates - AMR

Original CA - 40

Current CA - 40

Original PA - 103

Current PA - 103

This player has made no apparent change in either his CA or PA which is neither good nor bad, but since he has a very high PA I hope that he improves quickly to improve Youth United's chances of survival.

William Flynn - ST

Original CA - 41

Current CA - 40

Original PA - 113

Current PA - 113

William Flynn's CA has decreased since the start of the season which is not good for us, as since he has the highest PA for any of our strikers it is key to us that he improves his CA very quickly.

Kenny Lunan - ST

Original CA - 44

Current CA - 42

Original PA - 98

Current PA - 98

Kenny Lunan has also decreased his CA which again is not good, since he has quite a high PA so if he does improve it, then Youth United will more than likely benefit from it.

Uchechukwu Makinwa - ST

Original CA - 40

Current CA - 37

Original PA - 94

Current PA - 94

Despite having a high PA, his CA has decreased by quite a bit despite scoring quite a few goals. Hopefully his CA will improve and we can have a better chance of winning some more games.

The Stats

Squads Average CA - 39 (Equal to the start of season)

Squads Average PA - 84 (Equal to the start of season

Highest CA - 51 (+3 compared to start of season)

Highest PA - 122 (Equal to the start of season)

Lowest CA - 23 (Equal to the start of season)

Lowest PA - 37 (Equal to the start of season)

Biggest Difference in CA and PA - 75 (47 & 122) (-1 compared to start of season)

Smallest Difference in CA and PA - 8 (29 & 37) (+3 compared to start of season)

Next Update will be the end of season one

Year 1 - BSS Season 1 - End Of Season Update

So we're now at the end of Youth Team United's first ever season in the BSS. Did they manage to survive relegation? How did the players fare? Well, lets find out...

The Squad

The Final Table

As you can see, Youth Team United narrowly survived, with some crucial goals coming from the midfield and attacking players throughout the season.

The Players...

Stuart Avery - GK, Current CA 45, PA 111

2007-08, Youth Utd, CA 45: Apps 42, Conc 81, Cln 7, MOM 1, YC 0, RC 0, AVG 6.74

He had a very good season, despite conceding quite a lot of goals. Hopefully his CA will improve for next season so we will concede less goals.

Andrew Salmon - GK, Current CA 32, PA 37

2007-08, Youth Utd, CA 32: Apps 1, Conc 4, Cln 0, MOM 0, YC 0, RC 0, AVG 6.00

He's clearly not as good as Stuart Avery. Just to let you know, his 1 game wasn't a sympathy match, it was because Stuart Avery broke his finger a few days before the last game of the season.

Stuart Barr - DR, Current CA 28, PA 56

2007-08, Youth Utd, CA 32: Apps 33, Gls 1, Asts 4, MOM 0, YC 6, RC 2, AVG 6.64

Being the only DR in the squad he was obviously the first choice at that position, and despite some injuries and suspensions, he still managed to play 33 games.

David Bower - DL, Current CA 47, PA 51

2007-08, Youth Utd, CA 47: Apps 36, Gls 0, Asts 3, MOM 0, YC 3, RC 0, AVG 6.53

Like Stuart Barr, he was the only player of his position, so automatically became first choice left back, and he did very well in the 36 games that he did play there.

Alan Eustace - DC, Current CA 40, PA 51

2007-08, Youth Utd, CA 40: Apps 25 (8), Gls 0, Asts 1, MOM 0, YC 9, RC 0, AVG 6.39

The young Welsh central defender had a good season, making 25 appearances and 8 substitute appearances.

Grant McGinn - DC, Current CA 55, PA 100

2007-08, Youth Utd, CA 55: Apps 41, Gls 0, Asts 1, MOM 1, YC 12, RC 0, AVG 6.54

The young English central defender had a great season for us, missing out on only 2 games due to suspensions. He is one of a few players that have a very promising PA, so hopefully he will improve for next season to boost Youth Utd's chances.

Jimmy Palmer - DC, Current CA 37, PA 83

2007-08, Youth Utd, CA 37: Apps 12 (17), Gls 1, Asts 1, MOM 0, YC 4, RC 0, AVG 6.66

Despite having a fairly low CA, Jimmy Palmer still played quite a few games, with 12 starts and 17 substitute appearances. Despite having a fairly poor CA, he does have a reasonable PA, so if he can improve quick enough, he could establish himself as a regular at Youth Utd.

Ron Simpson - DC, Current CA 44, PA 78

2007-08, Youth Utd, CA 44: Apps 25 (11), Gls 3, Asts 2, MOM 1, YC 8, RC 0, AVG 6.83

Ron Simpson had a very good first season for Youth Utd. He played 25 games and came on as a substitute in 11 of those. He has a fairly good CA at the moment, but with his PA a lot higher hopefully he will improve in the near future.

Per Klausen - ML, Current CA 23, PA 90

2007-08, Youth Utd, CA 23: Apps 24 (3), Gls 1, Asts 7, MOM 0, YC 1, RC 1, AVG 6.67

Being the only ML in the squad he was automatically first choice there, and played there for the majority of our games, he missed a few with suspension and an injury. Looking at his CA and his PA, it shows that he has a very bright future ahead of him.

David Brown - MC, Current CA 42, PA 59

2007-08, Youth Utd, CA 42: Apps 24 (10), Gls 1, Asts 1, MOM 0, YC 6, RC 1, AVG 6.76

He had a great first season for Youth Utd. He played 24 times and came on as a sub 10 times, he missed out on a few games through suspensions though. Looking at his CA and PA it doesn't look like he can improve an awful lot, although hopefully he can reach his potential a bit more next season.

Andy Clarke - MC, Current CA 45, PA 122

2007-08, Youth Utd, CA 45: Apps 20, Gls 3, Asts 1, MOM 0, YC 3, RC 2, AVG 6.55

Being the player in the squad with the highest PA, big things are hoped for central midfielder Andy Clarke. He showed this season that it's not neccesarily the player with the highest PA that plays, as he only played 20 of the 42 games. He probably would have played a few more if he hadn't been sent off twice too.

Callum Davies - MC, Current CA 39, PA 66

2007-08, Youth Utd, CA 39: Apps 16 (9), Gls 4, Asts 2, MOM 0, YC 5, RC 0, AVG 6.72

With quite a bit of competition to play in central midfield, Callum Davies find himself only starting 16 games and coming on as a sub 9 times. With his PA fairly high, he can hope to get a few more games in future seasons.

Les Newman - MC, Current CA 42, PA 94

2007-08, Youth Utd, CA 42: Apps 26 (3), Gls 4, Asts 9, MOM 0, YC 11, RC 0, AVG 7.00

Being in the middle of a battle to play in central midfield, Les Newman shined in the games that he did play. Scoring 4 goals and assisting 9 times. With a PA of 94, it shows that Les Newman can play competitive football for us in the future.

Curtis Cleverley - AMR, Current CA 49, PA 104

2007-08, Youth Utd, CA 49: Apps 40 (3), Gls 5, Asts 6, MOM 1, YC 3, RC 0, AVG 6.86

Curtis Cleverley was one of our most played players this season, making 40 appearances and 3 sub appearances. With one of the highest PA's in the squad, you can expect big things from Curtis Cleverley.

Bradley Yates - AMR, Current CA 44, PA 103

2007-08, Youth Utd, CA 44: Apps 22 (15), Gls 1, Asts 1, MOM 0, YC 0, RC 0, AVG 6.84

Being in tight competition with Curtis Cleverley for the right side of midfield position, Bradley Yates started 22 games and came on as a sub 15 times. Like Curtis Cleverley, Bradley Yates has quite a high PA, so we can also expect big things from Bradley Yates in the future.

William Flynn - ST, Current CA 33, PA 113

2007-08, Youth Utd, CA 33: Apps 13 (15), Gls 10, Asts 2, MOM 3, YC 2, RC 0, AVG 6.64

With 3 strikers competing for first team football, and only 2 places up-front there was always going to be big competition to play. William Flynn played 13 times and made 15 substitute appearances for Youth Utd, scoring 10 goals. With a very high PA, and a very low CA, hopefully William Flynn can improve soon and become one a Youth Utd legend.

Kenny Lunan - ST, Current CA 43, PA 98

2007-08, Youth Utd, CA 43: Apps 40 (1), Gls 23, Asts 11, MOM 10, YC 3, RC 0, AVG 7.10

Kenny Lunan has had a very good season. Playing 40 times and coming on as a sub once, he scored an amazing 23 goals, 11 assists and 10 Man of the matches. With a decent PA, hopefully Kenny can keep up his great work.

Uchechukwu Makinwa - Current CA 41, PA 94

2007-08, Youth Utd, CA 41: Apps 32 (7), Gls 16, Asts 8, MOM 1, YC 0, RC 0, AVG 7.08

The Nigerian striker had a good season for Youth Utd, playing 32 times and coming on as a sub 7 times, scoring 16, assisting 8 and getting 1 Man of the match award. With the lowest PA of the 3 strikers, it will be interesting if Uchechukwu can keep up his great work up-front.

The next update will be the first official 'intake'!

I should also give credit to Kipfizh as I have adopted his way of doing the player history things.

Year 2 - BSS Season 2 - Intake Update

So, the much anticipated day. Intake day. On intake day we received 5 brand new young stars. Lets see just how good they all were...

Curtis Woods - ST, CA 50, PA 145

Being only 15, the striker has a better CA than the majority of the current first team strikers. And with the highest PA we've ever had at the club, hanging onto this guy in the long term is going to be very difficult.

Christopher Lyons - DRC, CA 43, PA 117

Finally, a versatile defender! Definitely wanted one of those, and i'm very glad to have been granted my wish. Despite being 16 he has a very good CA and PA, and he will probably play quite a few games this season.

Jason Lewis - ST, CA 40, PA 56

The 16 year old has a fairly good CA, but looking at his PA it doesn't look like this lad will have a great future at the club. I'm not sure if he will get any games this year or not, it will depend on injuries I suppose.

Graham Duncan - AMRC, CA 31, PA 37

I was very happy when I saw one of our intakes had been a versatile defender, so you can imagine how equally happy I was when I saw we had a versatile midfielder! However, I was fairly disappointed when I saw his CA and PA. He is still only 15 so there is a chance his PA will rise, but it doesn't look like he has a great future at the club.

Ian Morgan - AMLC, CA 31, PA 97

However, I then saw this guy. Another versatile midfielder, despite having a poor CA with a PA of nearly 100, hopefully this 15 year old has a bright future at the club.

To add to this update, the media is tipping us to finish 21st, so like last season, it will be a relegation fighting season.

Next Update will be after the August Window, to see if we have lost any players

Year 2 - BSS Season 2 - End of Season Update

So, Youth United's second season in football has finished. But how did they do, tipped to finish 21st, could the youngsters upset the pundits and shock the footballing world?

Club

2007-08

Blue Square South: (Pos 19th), P 42, W 12, D 10, L 20, F 74, A 81, GD -7, Pts 46

(Media Prediction: 22nd)

FA Trophy: 3rd Qual Round

2008-09

Blue Square South: (Pos 3rd), P 42, W 24, D 6, L 12, F 82, A 47, GD +35, Pts 78

(Media Prediction: 21st)

League Table

Positions

Setanta Shield: 1st Round

The club shockingly finished 3rd and made the playoffs, after a 7-1 aggregate victory over Lewes, they faced a tough challenge in Salisbury. However they won that 3-1, to secure Blue Square Premier football next season.

Players...

Squad

Stuart Avery - GK, Current CA 61, PA 111

2008-09, Youth Utd, CA 61: Apps 46, Conc 53, Cln 13, MOM 0, YC 0, RC 1, AVG 6.72

Stuart Avery really shone this year, with his CA going up by 16, he gave us an example of just how good he can be. conceded nearly 30 goals less then he had in his first season, hopefully he will improve more next season, and do well for Youth Utd in the Blue Square Premier.

Andrew Salmon - GK, Current CA 35, PA 37

2008-09, Youth Utd, CA 35: Apps 1 (1), Conc 0, Cln 2, MOM 0, YC 0, RC 0, AVG 7.00

With Stuart Avery playing as well as he did, it meant Andrew Salmon again didn't get any games. He only played when Stuart Avery got sent off and was suspended. With a CA and PA so low, it will be interesting to see how long Andrew Salmon will last at Youth United.

Stuart Barr - DR, Current CA 39, PA 56

2008-09, Youth Utd, CA 39: Apps 0 (3), Gls 0, Asts 0, MOM 0, YC 0, RC 0 , AVG 6.67

Despite his CA rising by 7 points, with the arrival of new players from the intake that were better than him, Stuart Barr didn't really get any game time this season. With his PA not that high, Barr's future at the club is looking very bleak.

Christopher Lyons - DRC, Current CA 50, PA 117

2008-09, Youth Utd, CA 50: Apps 14, Gls 0, Asts 0, MOM 0, YC 1, RC 0, AVG 7.14

In Christopher Lyons debut season he played a respectable 14 games for the first team. With his PA so high, Lyons looks like he has a very big future at the club if they can hang onto him.

David Bower - DL, Current CA 47, PA 51

2008-09, Youth Utd, CA 47: Apps 1 (14), Gls 0, Asts 1, MOM 0, YC 1, RC 0, AVG 6.67

In his second season for the club, David Bower didn't play as many games as he did in his first. Only playing once and making 14 sub appearances, and with his PA so low, perhaps Bower doesn't have a future at Youth United.

Alan Eustace - DC, Current CA 32, PA 51

2007-08, Youth Utd, CA 40: Apps 25 (8), Gls 0, Asts 1, MOM 0, YC 9, RC 0, AVG 6.39

2008-09, Youth Utd, CA 32: Apps 0, Gls 0, Asts 0, MOM 0, YC 0, RC 0, AVG N/A

In his second season at the club, Alan Eustace didn't play at all, and with his PA not particularly high, it's not looking good for him.

Grant McGinn - DC, Current CA 59, PA 100

2008-09, Youth Utd, CA 59: Apps 45, Gls 0, Asts 2, MOM 1, YC 6, RC 0, AVG 7.11

In Grant McGinn's second season at Youth Utd, he played 45 times proving to be a key part of the defense. With a high PA, Grant McGinn has a good future at the club if they can keep him.

Jimmy Palmer - DC, Current CA 42, PA 83

2007-08, Youth Utd, CA 37: Apps 12 (17), Gls 1, Asts 1, MOM 0, YC 4, RC 0, AVG 6.66

2008-09, Youth Utd, CA 42: Apps 41 (1), Gls 1, Asts 1, MOM 0, YC 5, RC 0, AVG 6.98

Despite having quite a low CA, Jimmy Palmer played nearly every Youth United season. He has quite a high PA, so if he continues to progress, then he will continue to play a lot of Youth United's games.

Ron Simpson - DC, Current CA 39, PA 78

2007-08, Youth Utd, CA 44: Apps 25 (11), Gls 3, Asts 2, MOM 1, YC 8, RC 0, AVG 6.83

2008-09, Youth Utd, CA 39: Apps 40, Gls 4, Asts 2, MOM 2, YC 5, RC 1, AVG 7.25

Despite his CA falling by 5 points, Ron Simpson still played 40 games for Youth United this season, and did very well for a defender, scoring 4 goals. With his PA quite high, if he can improve next season, he should get some playing time.

Per Klausen - ML, Current CA 31, PA 90

2007-08, Youth Utd, CA 23: Apps 24 (3), Gls 1, Asts 7, MOM 0, YC 1, RC 1, AVG 6.67

2008-09, Youth Utd, CA 31: Apps 24 (1), Gls 4, Asts 5, MOM 2, YC 7, RC 0, AVG 7.20

With his CA improving by a tidy 8, Per Klausen kept his place in the Youth United side. With the side being promoted, Per needs to hope he can get nearer to his PA of 90 in order to mantain his place in the side for a third season.

David Brown - MC, Current CA 42, PA 59

2007-08, Youth Utd, CA 42: Apps 24 (10), Gls 1, Asts 1, MOM 0, YC 6, RC 1, AVG 6.76

2008-09, Youth Utd, CA 52: Apps, 15 (24), Gls 4, Asts 2, MOM 1, YC 1, RC 0, AVG 6.62

In his second season at the club, David Brown started 15 games and was a substitute in 24 of them. With a fairly low PA, it will be interesting to see how long David Brown gets regular playing time.

Andy Clarke - MC, Current CA 57, PA 122

2008-09, Youth Utd, CA 57: Apps 41 (1), Gls 3, Asts 3, MOM 0, YC 6, RC 0, AVG 7.07

With the highest CA of the originals, Andy Clarke's CA improved a lot this season. He played 41 times and 1 sub appearance, with a PA that high, if he can continue to improve, then Youth Utd will have a hard job holing onto him.

Callum Davies - MC, Current CA 37, PA 66

2007-08, Youth Utd, CA 39: Apps 16 (9), Gls 4, Asts 2, MOM 0, YC 5, RC 0, AVG 6.72

2008-09, Youth Utd, CA 37: Apps 0 (8), Gls 0, Asts 0, MOM 0, YC 0, RC 0, AVG 6.13

In his second season at Youth United Callum Davies didn't play that much, despite having a fairly high PA, if he doesn't improve quickly, Davies might not get that many games next season.

Les Newman- MC, Current CA 50, PA 94

2007-08, Youth Utd, CA 42: Apps 26 (3), Gls 4, Asts 9, MOM 0, YC 11, RC 0, AVG 7.00

2008-09, Youth Utd, CA 50: Apps 46, Gls 12, Asts 11, MOM 3, YC 9, RC 0, AVG 7.26

Les Newman played nearly every Youth United game this season. Attacking wise he was brilliant, 12 goals and 11 assists for any midfielder is absolutely magnificent in my opinion. With a PA of 94, it shows that Les Newman can definitely play well at a higher level.

Curtis Cleverley - AMR, Current CA 61, PA 104

2007-08, Youth Utd, CA 49: Apps 40 (3), Gls 5, Asts 6, MOM 1, YC 3, RC 0, AVG 6.86

2008-09, Youth Utd, CA 61: Apps 46, Gls 2, Asts 7, MOM 2, YC 5, RC 0, AVG 7.07

Curtis Cleverley was one of the sides biggest improvements this season, and with a PA that high, he can definitely play at a higher level next season.

Graham Duncan - AMRC, Current CA 27, PA 37

2008-09, Youth Utd, CA 27: Apps 0 (4), Gls 0, Asts 0, MOM 0, YC 0, RC 0, AVG 6.75

In his first season at Youth Utd, Graham Duncaon only made 4 sub appearances, and with a CA and PA so low, his chances don't look good next season.

Bradley Yates - AMR, Current CA 56, PA 103

2007-08, Youth Utd, CA 44: Apps 22 (15), Gls 1, Asts 1, MOM 0, YC 0, RC 0, AVG 6.84

2008-09, Youth Utd, CA 56: Apps 27 (10), Gls 2, Asts 8, MOM 0, YC 0, RC 0, AVG 7.08

In his second year at the club despite playing 27 games, it was clear that Bradley Yates has fallen from the firs team, and will need to improve if he is to play more games next season.

Ian Morgan - AMLC, Current CA 34, PA 97

2008-09, Youth Utd, CA 34: Apps 36, Gls 7, Asts 8, MOM 1, YC 2, RC 1, AVG 7.25

In his first season at the club, Ian Morgan played 36 times, quite a lot for a CA of his level. With a PA of 97, he can definitely improve by next season and cope with higher league football.

William Flynn - ST, Current CA 21, PA 113

2007-08, Youth Utd, CA 33: Apps 13 (15), Gls 10, Asts 2, MOM 3, YC 2, RC 0, AVG 6.64

2008-09, Youth Utd, CA 21: Apps 0 (1), Gls 0, Asts 0, MOM 0, YC 0, RC 0, AVG 6.00

Despite having a very high PA, William Flynn has lost further points in his CA. If he doesn't improve this quickly, then he wont stay at the club for very long.

Jason Lewis - ST, Current CA 39, PA 56

2008-09, Youth Utd, CA 39: Apps 0 (12), Gls 4, Asts 1, MOM 0, YC 0, RC 0 , AVG 6.50

In his debut season at the club, Jason Lewis played 12 substitute appearances, scoring 4 goals. With a not very good PA, it will be very interesting to whether Lewis will stay at the club for that long.

Kenny Lunan - ST, Current CA 50, PA 98

2007-08, Youth Utd, CA 43: Apps 40 (1), Gls 23, Asts 11, MOM 10, YC 3, RC 0, AVG 7.10

2008-09, Youth Utd, CA 50: Apps 41, Gls 20, Asts 10, MOM 7, YC 2, RC 0, AVG 7.41

In his second season at the club, Kenny Lunan continued his brilliant form up-front, playing 41 times, and scoring 20, even finding time for 10 assists. With a decent enough PA, Kenny Lunan can become a great player for Youth Utd in the future.

Uchechukwu Makinwa - Current CA 43, PA 94

2007-08, Youth Utd, CA 41: Apps 32 (7), Gls 16, Asts 8, MOM 1, YC 0, RC 0, AVG 7.08

2008-09, Youth Utd, CA 43: Apps 29 (14), Gls 12, Asts 9, MOM 6, YC 3, RC 0, AVG 6.84

Uchechukwu Makinwa didn't start as many games this season as he did the last, but he still managed to score quite a few goals. With quite a high PA, it looks like Makinwa could stay at Youth United for a while.

Curtis Woods - Current CA 54, PA 145

2008-09, Youth Utd, CA 54: Apps 24 (13), Gls 19, Asts 9, MOM 3, YC 6, RC 0, AVG 7.24

Despite looking like a younger and much uglier Boris Johnson, this kid is actually the best player Youth United have had come through their ranks to date. Scoring 19 this season in just 24 starts, Curtis Woods certainly has a big future at Youth United.

Blimey, that took a while :D

Next update to be the second official 'intake'

Year 3 - BSP Season 1 - Intake

Ricci Clapham - ST, CA 45, PA 116

Craig Bowman - ST, CA 35, PA 92

Sean Doughty - AMLC, CA 59, PA 112

Kenny Allen - D/WB R, CA 43, PA 113

Sean Roberts - DM, CA 51, PA 136

Jamie Wilson - D/AML, CA 39, PA 109

I'm genuinely very pleased with the new players. All but 1 of the 6 have a PA greater than 100, which is brilliant. Sean Roberts also looks like a fantastic little player, who if we can keep hold of him he will have a great career at Youth United I am sure. They seem to have a fairly decent range of players, so that's good. Although one thing I will say is, if Youth United don't get a Goalkeeper next intake, they're in trouble.

PA is like a dog... for life' date=' not just for xmas. :D

In other words, PA never changes. Not quite sure you were thinking of in my experiment Paul - perhaps CA! ;)

Nice to see Youth Utd getting promoted this season. :thup:

KUTGW[/quote']

PA never increases, however it can decrease if a player suffers a long-term injury while still young

the club only just got out of debt when entering the BSP, so unfortunately I highly doubt they have the money to upgrade either the training facilities or the stadium

well fair enough. would you try if the club have any money?

Year 3 - BSP Season 1 - End of Season Update (Part 1)

Club

2007-08

Blue Square South: (Pos 19th), P 42, W 12, D 10, L 20, F 74, A 81, GD -7, Pts 46

(Media Prediction: 22nd)

2008-09

Blue Square South: (Pos 3rd), P 42, W 24, D 6, L 12, F 82, A 47, GD +35, Pts 78

(Media Prediction: 21st)

Setanta Shield: 1st Round

2009-10

Blue Square Premier: (Pos 22nd), P 46, W 11, D 2, L 33, F65, A 107, GD -42, Pts 35

(Media Prediction: 24th)

FA Cup: 4th Qual Round

Setanta Shield: 4th Round

FA Trophy: 1st Round

League Table

Positions

As you can see, Youth United were never very high up in the league this season. However, they were 20th for over 10 matches, which if they had finished there, they would have stayed in the division.

Squad -

Screenie of Squad

Stuart Avery - GK, Current CA 68, PA 111

2008-09, Youth Utd, CA 61: Apps 46, Conc 53, Cln 13, MOM 0, YC 0, RC 1, AVG 6.72

2009-10, Youth Utd, CA 68: Apps 49, Conc 116, Cln 5, MOM 1, YC 0, RC 0, AVG 6.45

Despite improving this season Stuart Avery really wasn't up to scratch as a Blue Square Premier Goalkeeper. Conceding well over 100 goals in 49 games. There is still room and time for him to improve next season and boost Youth United's chances of promotion.

Andrew Salmon - GK, Current CA 36, PA 37

2008-09, Youth Utd, CA 35: Apps 1 (1), Conc 0, Cln 2, MOM 0, YC 0, RC 0, AVG 7.00

2009-10, Youth Utd, CA 36: Apps 0, Conc 0, Cln 0, MOM 0, YC 0, RC 0, AVG N/A

Andrew Salmon didn't play this season, and with such a poor CA and PA it's highly likely he wont next season, but until Youth Utd get another Goalkeeper, he will be a tag along in the squad.

Stuart Barr - DR, Current CA 44, PA 56

2008-09, Youth Utd, CA 39: Apps 0 (3), Gls 0, Asts 0, MOM 0, YC 0, RC 0 , AVG 6.67

2009-10, Youth Utd, CA 44: Apps 36 (2), Gls 0, Asts 1, MOM 1, YC 8, RC 1, AVG 6.47

Stuart Barr regained his place in the starting 11 this year, making 36 appearances and 2 sub games. With his CA rising comfortably each year, it will be interesting to see if he keeps his place in the team next year.

Christopher Lyons - DRC, Current CA 60, PA 117

2008-09, Youth Utd, CA 50: Apps 14, Gls 0, Asts 0, MOM 0, YC 1, RC 0, AVG 7.14

2009-10, Youth Utd, CA 60: Apps 29 (3), Gls 0, Asts 0, MOM 0, YC 7, RC 0, AVG 6.53

In his second season at the club Christopher remained a starter at the club, making 29 starts and 3 sub appearances. With a fairly high PA, hopefully Chris can keep improving and keep his place in the squad.

David Bower- DL, Current CA 47, PA 51

2008-09, Youth Utd, CA 47: Apps 1 (14), Gls 0, Asts 1, MOM 0, YC 1, RC 0, AVG 6.67

2009-10, Youth Utd, CA 47: Apps 37 (5), Gls 0, Asts 3, MOM 0, YC 3, RC 0, AVG 6.48

Despite his CA staying the same, David Bower still kept his place in the Youth United squad. But with a fairly low PA, how long will he keep his place in the squad?

Alan Eustace - DC, Current CA 26, PA 51

2008-09, Youth Utd, CA 32: Apps 0, Gls 0, Asts 0, MOM 0, YC 0, RC 0, AVG N/A

2009-10, Youth Utd, CA 26: Apps 1 (1), Gls 0, Asts 0, MOM 0, YC 0, RC 0, AVG 7.00

Alan Eustace continued to not play this season, only making 1 start and 1 sub appearance. I'm not sure how long Alan Eustace will remain at the club.

Grant McGinn - DC, Current CA 59, PA 100

2008-09, Youth Utd, CA 59: Apps 45, Gls 0, Asts 2, MOM 1, YC 6, RC 0, AVG 7.11

2009-10, Youth Utd, CA 56: Apps 43, Gls 0, Asts 0, MOM 0, YC 6, RC 0, AVG 6.44

In his third season at the club, Grant McGinn continued to be a regular for Youth United, and with such a high PA compared to other defenders in the side, Grant could have a big future at the club.

EDIT: I've decided to put the rest of the players in this post, to save later confusion for myself.

Jimmy Palmer - DC, Current CA 46, PA 83

2008-09, Youth Utd, CA 42: Apps 41 (1), Gls 1, Asts 1, MOM 0, YC 5, RC 0, AVG 6.98

2009-10, Youth Utd, CA 46: Apps 19 (5), Gls 0, Asts 0, MOM 0, YC 6, RC 1, AVG 6.33

Another one of the originals, Jimmy Palmer started 19 games, and came on as a sub 5 times. With his CA gradually rising, it will be interesting to see if he can keep playing in the first team.

Ron Simpson - DC, Current CA 31, PA 78

2008-09, Youth Utd, CA 39: Apps 40, Gls 4, Asts 2, MOM 2, YC 5, RC 1, AVG 7.25

2009-10, Youth Utd, CA 31: Apps 4 (2), Gls 0, Asts 0, MOM 0, YC 0, RC 0, AVG 6.50

With his CA falling once again, it's very hard to imagine Ron Simpson playing for Youth United in future seasons.

Kenny Allen - D/WB R, Current CA 46, PA 113

2009-10, Youth Utd, CA 46: Apps 13 (12), Gls 0, Asts 3, MOM 1, YC 2, RC 0, AVG 6.68

Despite being inexperienced, Kenny Allen in his first season started 13 times and made 12 sub appearances. With his PA as high as it is, Kenny Allen looks like he could feature heavily in future seasons for Youth Utd.

Jamie Wilson - D/WB/AM L, Current CA 48, PA 109

2009-10, Youth Utd, CA 48: Apps 25 (18), Gls 3, Asts 6, MOM 1, YC 4, RC 0, AVG 6.63

Versatile left sided player Jamie Wilson also featured quite a bit in his debut season. With a PA as high as his is, he's another player that could have a future at the club.

Sean Roberts - DM, Current CA 51, PA 136

2009-10, Youth Utd, CA 51: Apps 4 (3), Gls 1, Asts 0, MOM 0, YC 2, RC 0, AVG 6.43

Despite having the second best PA in the team apart from striker Curtis Woods, Sean Roberts only started 4 times this season, coming on as a sub in 3. But obviously with his PA so high, this wont be the case in future seasons.

Per Klausen - ML, Current CA 34, PA 90

2008-09, Youth Utd, CA 31: Apps 24 (1), Gls 4, Asts 5, MOM 2, YC 7, RC 0, AVG 7.20

2009-10, Youth Utd, CA 34: Apps 5 (14), Gls 9, Asts 3, MOM 0, YC 3, RC 0, AVG 6.84

Another of the originals, Youth United's only Danish player in their history started 5 games this season, and came on as a sub 14 times. His PA is high, and his CA is gradually rising, so maybe one day he will feature a bit more than he has this season.

David Brown - MC, Current CA 50, PA 59

2008-09, Youth Utd, CA 52: Apps, 15 (24), Gls 4, Asts 2, MOM 1, YC 1, RC 0, AVG 6.62

2009-10, Youth Utd, CA 50: Apps 9 (14), Gls 1, Asts 2, MOM 0, YC 6, RC 0, AVG 6.52

In his third season for the club, David Brown started 9 matches and came off the bench 14 times. With a fairly low PA, it's not looking good for David Brown, and i'm not sure if he has a future at the club.

Andy Clarke - MC, Current CA 61, PA 122

2008-09, Youth Utd, CA 57: Apps 41 (1), Gls 3, Asts 3, MOM 0, YC 6, RC 0, AVG 7.07

2009-10, Youth Utd, CA 61: Apps 37, Gls 2, Asts 3, MOM 0, YC 10, RC 1, AVG 6.65

The highest PA of the originals, continued to have a nice rise in his CA this season. He played 32 times, which is very good. He will definitely be a key part of Youth United's promotion hopes next season.

Callum Davies - MC, Current CA 44, PA 66

2008-09, Youth Utd, CA 37: Apps 0 (8), Gls 0, Asts 0, MOM 0, YC 0, RC 0, AVG 6.13

2009-10, Youth Utd, CA 44: Apps 2 (7), Gls 0, Asts 0, MOM 0, YC 0, RC 0, AVG 6.56

Callum Davies, another of the originals, found it hard to get a game this season. And with a minimal PA, it will be interesting to whether he will stay at the club for much longer.

Les Newman- MC, Current CA 48, PA 94

2008-09, Youth Utd, CA 50: Apps 46, Gls 12, Asts 11, MOM 3, YC 9, RC 0, AVG 7.26

2009-10, Youth Utd, CA 48: Apps 39, Gls 6, Asts 7, MOM 2, YC 11, RC 0, AVG 7.03

Despite having a fairly low CA, original Les Newman proved a nifty part of Youth United's squad this season. And with a high PA, hopefully he has a future at the club.

Curtis Cleverley - AMR, Current CA 67, PA 104

2008-09, Youth Utd, CA 61: Apps 46, Gls 2, Asts 7, MOM 2, YC 5, RC 0, AVG 7.07

2009-10, Youth Utd, CA 67: Apps 44, Gls 1, Asts 4, MOM 0, YC 2, RC 0, AVG 6.70

Another good player in the team, Cleverly, Curtis Cleverley played 44 matches this season, and with his fairly high PA, it looks like he has a future at Youth United.

Graham Duncan - AMRC, Current CA 20, PA 37

2009-10, Youth Utd, CA 20: Apps 1, Gls 0, Asts 1, MOM 0, YC 0, RC 0, AVG 8.00

Perhaps one of the worst players to have come through the Youth system, I doubt Graham Duncan will be getting a lot of playing time any time soon.

Bradley Yates - AMR, Current CA 61, PA 103

2008-09, Youth Utd, CA 56: Apps 27 (10), Gls 2, Asts 8, MOM 0, YC 0, RC 0, AVG 7.08

2009-10, Youth Utd, CA 61: Apps 21 (7), Gls 2, Asts 2, MOM 1, YC 2, RC 0, AVG 6.86

Another original, Bradley Yates started 21 games this season, and did fairly well. With a fairly high PA, he can hope to continue playing as many games as he has so far.

Sean Doughty - AMLC, Current CA 57, PA 112

2009-10, Youth Utd, CA 57: Apps 45 (1), Gls 10, Asts 10, MOM 0, YC 11, RC 1, AVG 6.85

What a first season Sean Doughty had! Playing in nearly every game, and scoring 10, and assisting 10, Sean Doughty looks like he has a very bright future at the club.

Ian Morgan - AMLC, Current CA 44, PA 97

2008-09, Youth Utd, CA 34: Apps 36, Gls 7, Asts 8, MOM 1, YC 2, RC 1, AVG 7.25

2009-10, Youth Utd, CA 44: Apps 27 (1), Gls 3, Asts 3, MOM 1, YC 1, RC 0, AVG 6.79

In his second season at the club, Ian Morgan started 27 times. With a fairly high PA, we can look forward to good things from Ian Morgan in the future.

Craig Bowman - ST, Current CA 36, PA 92

2009-10, Youth Utd, CA 36: Apps 0, Gls 0, Asts 0, MOM 0, YC 0, RC 0, AVG N/A

In his debut season at the club, Craig Bowman didn't play a single match. He may have a fairly high PA, but i'm not sure if he will ever get a game at the club due to the quality they have upfront.

Ricci Clapham - ST, Current CA 42, PA 116

2009-10, Youth Utd, CA 42: Apps 0 (3), Gls 0, Asts 0, MOM 0, YC 0, RC 0, AVG 6.33

Another striker in his debut season, Ricci came off the bench 3 times, picking up an average rating of 6.33. He has got a fairly high PA, so may get a game eventually.

William Flynn - ST, Current CA 13, PA 113

2008-09, Youth Utd, CA 21: Apps 0 (1), Gls 0, Asts 0, MOM 0, YC 0, RC 0, AVG 6.00

2009-10, Youth Utd, CA 13: Apps 0, Gls 0, Asts 0, MOM 0, YC 0, RC 0, AVG N/A

Amazingly, his CA went down even more this season. And despite having a high PA, William Flynn now has the worst CA at the club.

Jason Lewis - ST, Current CA 46, PA 56

2008-09, Youth Utd, CA 39: Apps 0 (12), Gls 4, Asts 1, MOM 0, YC 0, RC 0 , AVG 6.50

2009-10, Youth Utd, CA 46: Apps 0 (4), Gls 0, Asts 0, MOM 0, YC 0, RC 0, AVG 6.00

Only coming on as a sub 4 times, another striker not getting any games. Perhaps Jason Lewis will look into leaving the club in the near future.

Kenny Lunan - ST, Current CA 56, PA 98

2008-09, Youth Utd, CA 50: Apps 41, Gls 20, Asts 10, MOM 7, YC 2, RC 0, AVG 7.41

2009-10, Youth Utd, CA 56: Apps 19 (16), Gls 13, Asts 3, MOM 1, YC 1, RC 0, AVG 6.69

Kenny Lunan again featured a lot in Youth United's season, scoring a valuable 13 goals for the club. With a fairly high PA, hopefully he can continue to score the goals for the club.

Uchechukwu Makinwa - Current CA 37, PA 94

2008-09, Youth Utd, CA 43: Apps 29 (14), Gls 12, Asts 9, MOM 6, YC 3, RC 0, AVG 6.84

2009-10, Youth Utd, CA 37: Apps 0 (7), Gls 1, Asts 0, MOM 0, YC 0, RC 0, AVG 6.86

Another Striker that didn't get many games this season, original Uchechukwu has a decent PA, so if he can improve that quickly, he might regain his place in the starting lineup.

Curtis Woods - Current CA 63, PA 145

2008-09, Youth Utd, CA 54: Apps 24 (13), Gls 19, Asts 9, MOM 3, YC 6, RC 0, AVG 7.24

2009-10, Youth Utd, CA 63: Apps 30 (6), Gls 24, Asts 4, MOM 5, YC 4, RC 1, AVG 7.03

Save the best 'till last? Our own resident Boris Johnson look-a-like was easily our best player this season, scoring 24 goals in just 30 starts and 6 sub appearances. If Youth United can hang onto him, he will prove his worth for sure.

Well, now i've finished that, the New Intake will be out tonight (it's halloween when i'm typing this)

Archived