FM09 Tactical preparation prior to 14/11/08

We probably all have our own preconceived ideas about tactics and it is almost pointless really preparing in advance without experiencing the new match engine - however I suspect many others like myself have already started. Normally I create a tactic in mind & on paper during these weeks prior to release using my knowledge of real football aquired from too many years of watching live football on TV. It rarely works and shakes my faith in the new FM, though I accept that I must change my perception in that case, the game is not bad just because I made assumptions from a position of ignorance and was proved wrong. I shall use SAFC8's "best 442 in the world" (its in T&TF, pay it a visit!) and translate it directly into FM09, then tweak to suit the new match engine. I will of course bear in mind wwfan's excellent theories but in FM08 I was able to use them just as a option to the SAFC8 tactic.

Anyone else out there started preparing their first FM09 tactic?, and will you translate your favourite tactic(s) from FM08 to 09?, with not guarantee of the same level of success off course.

We probably all have our own preconceived ideas about tactics and it is almost pointless really preparing in advance without experiencing the new match engine - however I suspect many others like myself have already started. Normally I create a tactic in mind & on paper during these weeks prior to release using my knowledge of real football aquired from too many years of watching live football on TV. It rarely works and shakes my faith in the new FM, though I accept that I must change my perception in that case, the game is not bad just because I made assumptions from a position of ignorance and was proved wrong. I shall use SAFC8's "best 442 in the world" (its in T&TF, pay it a visit!) and translate it directly into FM09, then tweak to suit the new match engine. I will of course bear in mind wwfan's excellent theories but in FM08 I was able to use them just as a option to the SAFC8 tactic.

Anyone else out there started preparing their first FM09 tactic?, and will you translate your favourite tactic(s) from FM08 to 09?, with not guarantee of the same level of success off course.

Although FM08 was my first foray into FM management I shall use my 5-3-2 formation and hope it translates to FM09 (fingers, toes & everything else crossed)

Although FM08 was my first foray into FM management I shall use my 5-3-2 formation and hope it translates to FM09 (fingers, toes & everything else crossed)

Rob123 & Smithers, thanks for your quick feedback I was worried it may be a lameduck thread! Somethin I only learnt this week (despite playing FM since day 1 of FM05) is that it is better to take a well thought out tactic & adapt it than to start from scratch or even use the pre-set formations - it is too easyy to lose your wayy tactically and end up with a mess!. This is my opinion based on my playing abaility of course, wwfan would not have such a torrid time creating! If my SAFC8 442 falls over I am sure that because it has a track record even on the previous FM incarnation, then I can tweak hopefully only slightly and achieve up to my own admittedly moderate expectations in the new format.

I'm really hoping that the tactics in 09 wont be as ridiculous as 08. It was nigh on impossible to win with a standard 4-4-2 or 4-3-3 unless you had far superior players.

If you get the basics of a 4-4-2 correct and take note of your oppositions players and tactics, then you should be able to get a result in most games. This was NOT the case in 08. I'm planning on sticking to a 4-4-2 when I start. This is for two reasons... I think it produces good football, and as I will be playing as a lower league team, this should be the most effective (and ttrl) formation.

I have no doubt though that when I start the gaim this theory will go out of the window. FM06?? Was the lsat game that really got the tactics spot on IMO, I hope that it's 3rd time lucky with 09 :)

I usually go with a 4-4-2 or 4-3-3, depending on what players I have, and then tweak my tactics and personal instructions according to their qualities.

This has served me well so far and got me a few titles in FM 08, so I don't think I'll change my approach :)

I was usually a 4-4-2 man with attacking wingers or side midfielders depending on opposition strenght or wether it was home or away. however, FM 08 forced me to rethink and i mostly played 4-5-1 or 4-1-4-1. never really had the same domination as i had as in previous titles but i found the european competitions a little too easy to perform well in!

I remember playing one game wid newcastle and got employed mid way through the season. i lost the 1st 3 games and decided to change my tactics. I used a 4-2-1-2-1 formation and my god it is d best formation ive ever used and carried it round wid every team i played wid. d secret is balance throughout d team. let me explain. 4 flat defenders, 2 defensive midfielders (hard working ones such as gattuso or hargreaves or essien so uve got plenty of cover at d back) 1 CM... and elegant midfielder such as carrick or pirlo. then 2 wide AM such as ronaldo and messi for pace and a deadly CF such as ibra or torres. uve got d perfect balance of much defence and a lot of attacking array keeping each poition filled enabling short quick passes and movement. cheerd

I've been thinking about FM09 tactics a fair bit (sad, I know!), and have tried to get some ideas by playing FM08 without arrows, etc, and using what I know of the game IRL from having played, watched, and coached (I say that, but it was more 'helping out' while I decided if I wanted to bother getting badges). Whether this will prove to be any use, I have no idea, seeing as (I think) tactics have been reworked for FM09. Hopefully this will mean my planning and thinking about tweaks to an old 4-4-2, setting things up just so, recording a 4-0 win and then the tactic becoming almost useless and me going back to an earlier, basic 4-4-2 without nuances on an individual player's level won't be the norm for the new FM.

A lot. Really, a lot.

wwfan, I guessed you would be but know that circumstances dictated that your 08 Posts were a little later in the year than usual - sound like this year we may not have so long to wait. It is interesting that your own theories are well thought out, researched and ultimately respected - but interestingly the SAFC8 best 442 in the world seems to be a one-off by that Poster, and opion at the time seemed to be that it works well - but how?, it maybe was not a logical masterpiece but a great work all the same.

I hope the Posts keep on the preparation topic as too many specific details aboput certain tactics may lead to closing as a percieved T&TF thread in the wrong forum - the trouble is that as a point of debate that Forum is likely to be in virtual hibernation until the demo release at earliest.

I look forward to your excellent furure work and wonder, the 08 Theory was very similar to the 07 was it not? In fact the difference between 8.01 and 8.02 seemed no less of an evolution than the 07 to 08, which is surely a good thing, re-inventing the wheel every 12 months could be a little tiring.

Something I forgot to mention in the inital Post is that I am sure, though it seems unlikely, that Miles said in a podcast or blog that the game engine is the same basically as in 08 but with the adddition of 3d?. I would be interested if you have learnt more about that?

Do you not get bored with FM? I know you are a top manager and win everything don't you.

I've been involved with Beta processes for about a year straight now. Haven't played much for sheer enjoyment. The buzz I get nowadays is more related to the intellectual challenge of stripping down how things work and then trying to work out how real life football theories could best fit with the simulation. Weird, I know, but I am a management theorist in real life and FM is somewhat of a busman's holiday for me.

That might indicate where I'm going with this year's tactical ideas. They will be very, very different to last year's, in presentation and scope.

I think I'm acutally quite a crap manager compared to alot of people here, like I can never consistantly win everything etc etc...

But I like to use a 4-2-3-1 combination... Usually my AM are not wingers and score a fair share of our goals but I feel

my tactic is very unstable... I just dont really like the 4-4-2 (I think its a big boring and I want to full revolutionise the game

etc etc in my dream world) I like to have 4 very defensive players, side backs dont have to run up much and have 2 really

good DMs who just defend and pass the ball to the AMs to do all the attacking stuff... Dunno though, this formation isnt really

good with lower leagues as the Ams tend to be horrible... If its a lower league I'll just the good old 4-4-2 no creativity and just

boot the ball forward to one massive striker and one nippy dude ^^

On FM 08 i started with a basic 442 with attacking wingers before changing to a complex version of my 442 with wing backs making runs forwards/across and wingers with more running to do because of the need to compete at a higher level/division...

Can't wait to see 09 demo.. I will try out my 08 tactics but wil probably need working on before they are successful in the new match engine :)

I've been involved with Beta processes for about a year straight now. Haven't played much for sheer enjoyment. The buzz I get nowadays is more related to the intellectual challenge of stripping down how things work and then trying to work out how real life football theories could best fit with the simulation. Weird, I know, but I am a management theorist in real life and FM is somewhat of a busman's holiday for me.

That might indicate where I'm going with this year's tactical ideas. They will be very, very different to last year's, in presentation and scope.

Looking forward to it! :thup:

Same here, I based this mostly on the fact that most midfielders in the game tend to be a DM or an AMC, with few MCs, so I decided to play players in their best position.

Thats a very good point, I had noticed that but never came to the conclusion that diamond would be wise for that very reason neccesarily. Have never realy used it but will now probably set up an attacking 41212 for emergencies. Thanks.

I like to think its "your" FM experience, there is no wrong way just your way. I cannot imagine in which direction your new Thread will travel.

I'm gonna start with trying my 2 main FML tactics translated onto Liverpool in the demo.

Only problem is I didn't use wingers at all in FML so hopefully Riera is good at AMC or he will get wasted.

After my FML tactics are tweaked to work (or fail ;-( ) I'll just start experimenting with loads of different formations and see how things go with different types of tactics and players.

So lots of short stints with different teams for me :D

wwfan, I'm sorry - I know I shouldnt but I have to ask, do you know yet roughly when you will start Posting TT&TF's about FM09? (Am assuming your insight to the new game means that you are already prepared & need relatively less time testing your theories on the out of the box product).

Impatience is a terrible thing!

my tactic has to have two up front no matter if fm09 does not like it, i always have to have a target man with good heading ,first touch and strength alongside a quick striker with pace and finishing.

because of this i can never play with an attacking midfielder as i like to play with a proper cm and two wingers which limits there options.

last year i stuck to mainly 4-4-2 with a cm going back to dm.

the two years before that i used 4-1-3-2

and before that 3-5-2

4-4-2 diamond i have been playing with this tactic since cm4 no wingers needed since ur side defenders/wing backs can do that job really good, it is really importnat to use a midfielders that can do adefense as well +strenth is a key stat in football manager and in real football too.

I will not do any preparation beforehand as I always make my tactics according to the talent available in my team. I've used in 08 4-4-2, 3-5-2, 4-2-3-1 and 4-3-3 with several versions of them. There is always one principle that I have, do more goals than the other team, not allow less.

I remember playing one game wid newcastle and got employed mid way through the season. i lost the 1st 3 games and decided to change my tactics. I used a 4-2-1-2-1 formation and my god it is d best formation ive ever used and carried it round wid every team i played wid. d secret is balance throughout d team. let me explain. 4 flat defenders, 2 defensive midfielders (hard working ones such as gattuso or hargreaves or essien so uve got plenty of cover at d back) 1 CM... and elegant midfielder such as carrick or pirlo. then 2 wide AM such as ronaldo and messi for pace and a deadly CF such as ibra or torres. uve got d perfect balance of much defence and a lot of attacking array keeping each poition filled enabling short quick passes and movement. cheers.... has anyone ever tried dis or can comment?

When I join a club I normally like to see who my best players are first which then influences the initial formation I use. After that I try to bring in players that fit my favourite formation, 5-3-2 with attacking wingbacks. I usually find this is a fluid formation that can be easily changed from being very attacking to very defensive without making too many changes/substitutions. However, I'm always tinkering with my tactics - although saying I'm pretty poor at it is an understatement.

I will be making a tactic based on getting the best out of my best 5 players as I saw a great thread on that theory a while ago called the unique tactic or something, check it out.

This means I will have my best players in their natural positions then choosing the basic tactic that fits them best. Following on from that I will assess the strengths and PPM's of what will be my regular first XI and set the individual tactics to suit them. Bit concerned that this will be a nightmare when I make subs, but its worth a try!

I will be making a tactic based on getting the best out of my best 5 players as I saw a great thread on that theory a while ago called the unique tactic or something, check it out.

This means I will have my best players in their natural positions then choosing the basic tactic that fits them best. Following on from that I will assess the strengths and PPM's of what will be my regular first XI and set the individual tactics to suit them. Bit concerned that this will be a nightmare when I make subs, but its worth a try!

Back to the original question, do you / does anyone (except wwfan of course!) have the pencils & paper out yet, or is it all in the head, planning, at present? Actually it has driven me to dig out FM08 after several months of dust gathering. Had spent summer playing CM0102, an all time fave after a hard days work.

I have it all in my head at the mo.

This is all an eye opener to me. I am a bit geeky, I love prep with coloured pens & notebooks LOL. Seriously though I am "not very naturally good" at FM08 so every bit of prep that helps makes me like "the game" more is important to me, and I want to love FM09 in due course.

Can anyone scan & PDF their game notes on here?, may be of interset to a likeminded player. I have a set of "pre first match at new club" notes from FM08 but I wont upload them til there is interest, and I suspect there may not be any.

I'll look at either the 4-4-2 or 4-5-1 and try to get it to work for me. I'll need fast passing football, bags of style and a touch of flair. In other words, I want to play like Arsenal.

How? Who knows. I'll just have to tweak and tweak and tweak.

I will start again with my tactic development in FM09 as I won't be playing with the same teams and players on FM09, I have always found I do better when I make fit my tactic around my players rather than the other way around.

Also, the wingers will (hopefully) have more of an impact in FM09 but as I don't know exacly how much impact they will have I will still be sceptical on how to use my wing players. I also really look forward to the threads in the Tactics and Training forum to explain various parts of the match engine and how it works.

One thing I am determined not to do is download other people's tactics, I really enjoy building tactics and though it can be a frustrating, time consuming and also point (in game) consuming it can become very rewarding, as my aim is to get from Lower League to Premier League, either through one or many other teams, the tactics will vary in each division, the higher up I go the more tweaks and changes I will have to make to my system!

Cheers

Two weeks til its out and you sit making up tactics? I suggest you all get out more.

...but in "3" weeks (excuse the correction!) FM09 is out!!!!....one of us is missing the point I feel. LOL

The moral of this story is dont visit a thread entitled "FM09 Tactical preparation prior to 14/11/08" if you dont want to read about FM09 Tactical preparation prior to 14/11/08 !

Earlier rather than later

WWFan - I'm sure I speak for all FM tacticians when I say that I am looking forward to reading your new theories. Always a great help in getting the basics right, making solid tactics and experimenting to get the best out of your side.

I'm definitely preparing my tactics to fit the players at the club I will be managing in my first game on FM09! :)

November 14th can't come soon enough! :D

Archived