What is your transfer policy

What transfer policy do you follow?  

560 members have voted

1. 1. What transfer policy do you follow?

• Bargain Hunter Freebies
    • Spend Spend Spend
    • Youngsters
    • Golden Oldies
    • Normal

What would you say is your transfer policy on football manager? Are you a chequebook manager spending the board's hard earned millions? a rich but prudent Mr Wenger? A bargain hunter for golden oldies? Just plain normal?

I usually buy youngsters when they are 16/17 and hope they come good for the first team but if i feel i cant wait or not have a prospect for a certain position i will look to spend a bit of money on a quality player around mid twenties. Generally seems to work but i may buy a few older player for the first few seasons until the youngsters start coming through.

I'm a bargain hunter and I hunt for youngsters.:)

I never play on teams that have large budgets, so I always have to be smart with my money. I rarely overspend on anything unless I'm sure that he will make a major impact.

I always try and find that good uncontracted youngster. And it pays off sometimes.:)

generally I work on the once your 18 your too old to be signed, however will break this if the player is right. Currently my first team has one over 23 player in it. The player is 30, but came through my youth team. I am expecting that I wont renew his contract at the end of the season.

This policy has seen me turn Celtic into the worlds richest club. I also generally sell any player who I am being offered 3x his value for, unless 3x value is less than I paid. I'm also finding that my board are very good at selling my youngsters over my head, however they generally do it for decent fees. eg a player I signed for free as a 17 year old was sold 3 years later for £8.25 million having played 30 odd games and scored 20 odd goals for the club.

I like to keep my squad very settled, players only go if they want to go or they retire, they are then replaced by a youth who I will have been grooming for at least two seasons to take over the position.

I only break this policy if there is an obvious need for quality in a certain position.

At a top club i usually find a youngster for every position and put them in a team together and make them grow together then the season before i try them out i send them all out on loan for a season and when they come back i see who can hack it and who can't. At lower league clubs its the best bargain i can find!

I usually start in a small club, so first port of call is old cheap talent ... then start adding youngsters to replace the oldies in a season or 2 ... once I've climbed the leagues a bit and got some money it's the best player I can afford for the position I need to fill. BUT I always try to keep a squad of youngsters about the place who look like they are going to be "special".

A bit of everything if I have the money. What usually happens is I buy good players in my budget as well as potential youngsters. After a few seasons my money builds up and I can afford a £30m name to hopefully take my team to the next level.

Went with Spend, Spend, Spend because I regularly spend £10m-£20m on squad players, but for a top club every man in your first team squad could be vital and the money is there to be spent. Generally after a splurge to get things in shape I prefer to invest in youth. Obviously things change depending on circumstances and I love bargain hunting if the situation requires - at a top club there aren't really bargains to be had.

It all depends on what team you are, for example if i play as leicester in League 1 then i would be a lot of golden oldies who have experience, can play and are cheap. If i am liverpool then i will only buy players under 24 unless they are world stars or exceptional.

i have £160m for the new season, and I wont spend a penny - cos i have faith in the current young squad!

Current young squad fails, llama3 sacked, new manager appointed who spends 160m on 5 29 year old players, 2 of them keepers.

Mix of everything to keep it realistic...I lost interest quickly if I find myself with a team full of highly rated players in their early 20's and late teens.

i build a good team and and get youngster from all over at 16 and 17 ans watch them turn in to top quilty or pish players.i have seen about 40 players now that i have bought as 16 or 17 year olds since the game started up intill my season i am just starting 54/55 turn in to worldclass players i did not reall stay long enogh at the clubs to watch most of them devlop and when i did i had some chairman selling some of them.

at arsenal and sevilla, i could afford a youth first policy. at espanyol, i've had little choice but to opt for experience to build a foundation on, and its woirking so far. hopefully, i'll be getting/finding some decent youth players to bring up through the club in a few years.

Bargain Hunter and Youth. I only play MLS and Bundesliga so money is not around much of the time, but when I get it I hoard it. I also try to get the players who are the youngest. I rarely buy players over the age of 23 unless their stats are already maxed. South American countries not named Brazil and Argentina, or Scandinavia, can give you some bargain talent at a young age.

Like most, I invest in youth and enjoy seeing them develop. Due to the unrealistic regression model for older players in FM08 [i.e. over 30 their attributes tumble too rapidly across the board], I never buy anyone over about 28. SI have promised a better development model which I hope will make this aspect better as well as the appearance of Bojan-like wonderkids, so my policy may well be amended in FM09.

Depends on what situation I'm in. Usually aim to buy youth but if I'm at a big team I tend to buy a few established players aging between 20 and 29 and try to bring in a few youth then graudally just focus on youth unless the team situation demands that I bring in an established player to keep the status. At lower clubs I just buy whoever I can get for the positions I need for the first season or two then try to bring in some youth.

At a top club, the priority is to win every single year. I won't sacrifice the current premiership just to save money. No one likes to splash 30 mil on a 30 year old but if I feel he is the difference, then I'd get him. If the team's strong enough already, then I'd invest in youth of course.

Archived