not entering res, U18 into leagues?

this may sound like an obvious question, but as i have never done it ,i dont know.

i was woundering what happens to your reserve and U18 teams if you dont enter them into leagues?

do they still play friendlies and other games throughout the season, or will they end up doing nothing at all, therefore there being no point in doing it at all.

are there any advantages? (i doubt)

if not, what is the point in this feature really? or is it designed more for lower league clubs that may not have enough players?

this may sound like an obvious question, but as i have never done it ,i dont know.

i was woundering what happens to your reserve and U18 teams if you dont enter them into leagues?

do they still play friendlies and other games throughout the season, or will they end up doing nothing at all, therefore there being no point in doing it at all.

are there any advantages? (i doubt)

if not, what is the point in this feature really? or is it designed more for lower league clubs that may not have enough players?

They don't play at all and the only advantage is if your able to loan out all of your reserve/youth team. Some countries don't offer a reserve league so you have to either make your own through friendlies or simply loan them all out anyways.

It would be good if there was a financial implication to it.

I remember my beloved Exeter City culling Reserve team fixtures for a little while a few seasons back as a cost saving exercise, and I've heard of other clubs doing the same with their youth set-up to save some dosh (possibly Torquay did it recently?).

What I'm getting at is it would be an interesting dilema if when you get that option to enter your club into the Reserve/U18 competions it said something along the lines of "by not entering the competiton you will save the club £XXXX". Obviously this feature would only really be an issue for LLM, but would certainly be a realistic dilema in my opinion.

I guess if you wanted to go through all the troubles of doing so you could setup your reserve team to play all home games for ticket prices? Maybe some for upfront fees if anyone accepted? I have never done this but would be interesting for extra income.

It would be good if there was a financial implication to it.

I remember my beloved Exeter City culling Reserve team fixtures for a little while a few seasons back as a cost saving exercise, and I've heard of other clubs doing the same with their youth set-up to save some dosh (possibly Torquay did it recently?).

What I'm getting at is it would be an interesting dilema if when you get that option to enter your club into the Reserve/U18 competions it said something along the lines of "by not entering the competiton you will save the club £XXXX". Obviously this feature would only really be an issue for LLM, but would certainly be a realistic dilema in my opinion.

that would be a very good idea, as with the increasing problems with lower league clubs finances.

Can't you just have your youth team play lots of Friendlies to make you some dosh?

was just thinking that would you be able put your under19's in thier league then keep your reserves out of a league for the season. Then every week just create a friendly at home i always go for the llm teams so if we could make an extran 30k a week that would be massive my only problem would be you would need to play someone decent to attract a decent crowd and if everyone else in the uk are playing in leagues who are you going to attract.

I dont think you would be able to find a team or a load of teams that would be willing to play say worcester city's reserves every week so i cant see it being of much benifit.

any thoughts???

I remember reading a few months ago that one guy used to just arrange friendly games vs big teams.

Apparantly it made his wonderkids develop quicker and gain more reputation.

Though ive not tested it myself so i cant vouch for it.

i could see it working for a large club but not a small one as teams from around the world wouldnt play against resever teams

i could see it working for a large club but not a small one as teams from around the world wouldnt play against resever teams

I'd also worry about the morale of the kids, getting constantly thrashed.

It's probably taking realism too far, but logically the youngsters and reserves should develop better playing competitive football rather than just friendlies.

FWIW, I always opt to enter the reserve and U18 leagues. My reserves get plenty of football, but my youth squad diminshes to the point of zero during the season because as soon as any kid gets a full-time contract I promote him to the reserves so that he can train full-time. Thus as the season progresses my youth squad reduces to just one or two, especially if I have a 15-year old. It's not a problem at all - I can hack seeing my U18s tumble down the table!

Archived