Do relegated teams sell players on the cheap?

I am Ajax manager and need a RB and Spurs have been relegated(could this be a sign of things to come?)so I bid for Corluka but they want £37 million for him. This made me wonder do relegated teams sell off their players cheaper than if they had stayed up? Also whats the best way to unsettle Corluka I declared an interest in him and praised him but if I do that too often he will begin to get annoyed how often can I do these things without annoying my transfer target?

They really don't have to unless there are in a bad way financially or the player has a relegation release clause. Can't really see many Spurs players having one of those tbh.

The excessive asking prices is a problem in FM2008 that apparently has been fixed. We shall see!

relegated liverppol wanted £40M for gerrard, £50M for torres & £27M for babel, despite their value dropping. the AI still regarded themselves as rivals of my team despite being in another division.

i ended up getting gerard for £20M after he was bought for £12M by sevilla with a release clause.

In real life they dont they use but things have chagned

Parachute payments for the EPL but firesales still occur in many other leagues and don't often happen in game, most of the time the team goes into financial crisis and keeps their overpaid players until their contracts run out or come close to it and put the team into administration.

if you're looking to unsettle him, it does quite often take a while... praising players to become favoured personnel certainly does. when you praise initially, make a note of the date, then repeat process one month + one week later... (or it might be a month and a day) but it can take 6 months to end up favoured personnel!

when clubs get relegated ive only noticed them selling players cheaper than they would if they were still prem clubs, but still way over their actual in-game valuation...

well oddly in 1 game i praised fernando torres after a game once (not cos i wanted to sign him, just cos he had played well against me) and i was instantly no his favoured personnel, never said anything about him in the media before!

In real life they dont they use but things have chagned

isnt this why the relegation realese cause came about. Player wants to play top end footie, on high wages team cant afford to keep him. Suits both parties.

If you have the patience the AI approach usually works. Keep bidding on the player without going overboard with regards to increases such that his club reject. If the difference in rep between the clubs is big enough and he's reasonably ambitious he might start to get annoyed which can sometimes lead to him handing in a transfer request and/or the AI lowering their asking price.

Also as others have said comments in the media can help with certain types of players (don't know which type exactly though but I would assume low loyalty and reasonably high ambition).

you need to wait until the new season is about to begin.

I landed Stewart Downing from Middlesborough for only $5M (they wanted $18M once they were initially relegated, but it dropped once they started their friendlies, i guess Stewart realised he was playing a lower level) also picked up Robbie Keane from Tottenham for about $7M (again, they wanted triple that initially). both are great bench players for my Liverpool side.

now scouting Portsmouth as they are on their way out (so is Everton, but any player that pulled on that blue shirt will never were the mighty RED!)

I agree with isuckatfm. If you keep bidding eventually they should get unhappy if they have any desire whatsoever to be playing at the best level of football they can. This will lead to transfer listing or the club being more willing to let the player go for a reasonable price... who wants an unhappy player

I had a reasonably long-term Spurs save where Man Utd found themselves 3 points from safety come the end of the season and kind of had a fire sale. Rooney and Ronaldo joined me for 30m and 35m respectively.

Even if United would sell for those sort of prices normally, and I doubt they would, the players in question wouldn't leave for my beloved Spurs unless I had won the Premiership a few seasons in a row and at least challenged for the Champions League. Having said that in the save they did leave a relegated side for the current Champions, so I can see why they jumped ship.

isnt this why the relegation realese cause came about. Player wants to play top end footie, on high wages team cant afford to keep him. Suits both parties.

I do wish that the players insisted on this clause a LOT more often in the top leagues. Especially at a club like Juventus, Manchester United, etc, where relegation is all but unthinkable it is hard to imagine that most players would not have some fairly low relegation-release clause.

Archived