An idea that struck me whilst playing FM last night..

Been managing Ajax for last two years and I won the leauge both years. At the end of my second season, I got an offer from Lyon to be their manager. There are a few things that I think might make this process more interesting and realistic:

1) There should be more speculation that you are in talks with a club - ie press attention, perhaps a message from the board asking you to stay, or messages from the players and fans.

2) Surely you should be able to play the two teams off against each other? For example, if Ajax were to find out about the offer from Lyon they might offer me a new contract then and there so that I would be considering two offers then. Or maybe you could outline the basis on which you would stay with your existing club - ie higher wage budget, more transfer funds etc. At the moment, there is not enough 'linking' between the offer from the new club and your status at your existing club.

Great idea, also I have always found it a bit frustrating that no matter how well you do throughout your contract that the board never offer you a new contract until the last few months/weeks of your existing contract despite news stories saying that you could leave at the end of your contarct and the board are worried and have started lining up replacements. Can you imagine Sir Alex/Wenger/Scolari etc getting down to the last few months of their contract IRL? (yes I do realise that Fergie is currently running on a yearly rolling contract but that is down to his age). Anyone else find this?

Been managing Ajax for last two years and I won the leauge both years. At the end of my second season, I got an offer from Lyon to be their manager. There are a few things that I think might make this process more interesting and realistic:

1) There should be more speculation that you are in talks with a club - ie press attention, perhaps a message from the board asking you to stay, or messages from the players and fans.

2) Surely you should be able to play the two teams off against each other? For example, if Ajax were to find out about the offer from Lyon they might offer me a new contract then and there so that I would be considering two offers then. Or maybe you could outline the basis on which you would stay with your existing club

1. I like this idea :thup:

2. I think that instead of contacting you directly with a job offer any club looking to aquire your services should first contact your current board an ask for permission to talk to you. This is something that isn't in the game (as far as I can see anyway) that really should be since thats the procedure irl.

After a few years of success I always get a new contract offer when the current one has 1 year left on it. Early on it was often at the end of the season with just a few weeks to go that the offer arrived which makes sense. I'm an unproven manager, the board are right to see how the season ends before making a decision.

2. I think that instead of contacting you directly with a job offer any club looking to aquire your services should first contact your current board an ask for permission to talk to you. This is something that isn't in the game (as far as I can see anyway) that really should be since thats the procedure irl.

Definately, and perhaps an ultimatum system that actually works to go along with this.

excellent idea! especially with the new press conference bit in place. a prospective club could approach your board asking to speak to you and if they say no you could issue an ultimatum to them! not a nice idea in theory but the way the game is going irl employees are getting more and more power over the employers.

After a few years of success I always get a new contract offer when the current one has 1 year left on it. Early on it was often at the end of the season with just a few weeks to go that the offer arrived which makes sense. I'm an unproven manager, the board are right to see how the season ends before making a decision.

On '08 in managing Man Utd on my long save (it's now 2018) so have been at the club for 10 years, my contract runs out at the end of the season and I've just had the news item I described previously stating that the board are worried about losing me. Last season I won the Premiership and CL. IMO the club would have offered me a new contract at the end of last year rather than 'get worried' when I have a month or two left on my current one.

Love the idea of another club contacting your board about your services though.

yeah, good idea, would love this extra interaction. the cash compensation adds a bit more realism to it as well imo - could work a few ways - like prospective clubs ask you to resign or mutually terminate(rather than a "transfer") beacuse they cant afford to pay off your contract at the other club and (dont know if this happens) clubs could have to pay off your contract if they sack you - like avram grant, steve mcclaren etc.

dunno guys?

Archived