Penalty Takers

I've just finished playing season 2023-24 on FM08. I'm playing as Forest and we're currently dominating the domestic scene (premiership, league cup and FA cup - all four seasons in a row!), but can't quite win the Champions' League. We've been to two finals, but have lost both.

The one thing I've noticed is that there is a severe lack of good penalty takers, not only in our squad, but in the game as a whole. I've searched the entire database and only five players in the entire world have 16 on penalties, and there is no-one better than this.

Has anyone else playing a little way into the future come across this?

It amounts to a training problem; even on the maximum amount of training, players will tend to lose ability in Free Kicks, Penalties, and Long Throws.

Hopefully fixed in FM'09; for the nonce, I suggest cherry-picking any promising youth with great FK, Pen, CK, or LT, and setting them on a unique schedule which emphasizes the "Set Pieces" training. I have about for players in my squad who are all training at max Set Pieces and luckily their attributes don't hemorrhage toooo badly .. though they don't increase, either.

Archived