What happened to my main star player?

I have started a game as Derby, again, with a latest update from Weegie, and at the start of the game, Emanuel Villa is 'A leading star for most Premier League sides'. All throughout the first season he has that same description, and I win the league with 99 points, with Villa scoring 39 goals in 45 matches.

His value then improves by £0.2m, and then all of a sudden, his description is 'Good signing for most Championship sides'.

What's happened here?

If it's a coach/AM report that's saying he is a leading star for most Premier League sides then that is just his opinion, obviously you've been promoted and he hasn't turned out to be the star your coach/AM whatever thought he would be.

If he is still smashing the goals in, in the Premier League I wouldn't listen to what the report is saying, however if he isn't hitting the back of the net, bring in some fresh blood and offload him or send him out on loan.

I pay attention to coaches and scouts with less than that if I have a lower-league club .. but not if I just won the EPL!

Here's what happened: you won the league. At the end of the season, there are all of the off-season reputation changes. Your rep went up. That caused all of your coaches to re-evaluate all of your players.

It sounds like the specific coach you are looking at the report of has, probably, a very low JCA, and so his "variability" is very high. He may have been overrating Villa last year, and now he's underrating him, which, combined with your reputation change, has caused an obvious discrepancy.

Here's how I deal with this problem:

1. On a Coach Report screen, or a Scout Report screen, there is a drop-down in the upper right corner, where you can change whose report you are looking at. Try scrolling through all of the reports on this player, using that drop-down .. you may find that this is the only one which is so negative.

2. By default, a Coach Report is given by your Assistant Manager. Therefore, I make sure to only hire for my A.M. a staffmember with very high JCA and JPA - as high as I can get it for my level. My LLM A.M. has a 13/14, on a club for which my best scout has a 10/9.

3. So that I can tell the difference quickly between different reports, I set a "Nickname" for each of my staff. For example, my A.M. became "AM: Tom Jones 13/14". Now, whenever I look at a coach or scout report, I glance up at the corner and know how much credence to give to it. Obviously, I value Tom's opinion a lot more than "Sc: Bill Crummy 5/4", whom I'm just using to churn up names for my other guys to scout.

3.a. Added benefit: when I send somebody out to scout a player, those nicknames appear in the drop-down list that controls "Who to send" .. so if I'm getting serious about a player, I send my most accurate scout or coach off to view 3 matches.

I do wish SI would make a few modifications in this area.

Archived