Could eccentricity be a good thing?

The jerzy dudek effect?

rather superstition tbh

In fact eccentricity might indeed be an advantage in one-on-one outside the area. An eccentric keeper might be more likely to rush out that far and early enough to reach the ball before the striker (while at the same time he will also frequently rush and be late).

So at least overall I guess that the stat is still negative, even if positive in singular situations.

reminds me of Barthez that stat. Could still be a good goalkeeper but will probably have a few howlers.

Yeah, it screams Barthez to me. Eccentricity is a strange one. It's not quite the same has having a low stat for a positive attribute. For example, you can guarantee a goalkeeper with a handling attribute of 1 will be a bad choice. But a high eccentricity attribute doesn't necessarily equal a bad 'keeper. It does, however, mean he will be liable to wild antics and crazy mistakes. In theory, anyway.

I never have high-eccentricity GK's in my squad, I don't trust them.

However, I've never once investigated their performance and compared it to a low-eccentricity GK so my belief that it is a bad attribute is purely an assumption, and completely unfounded.

But is there a chance that at any point eccentricity could be useful to have or is it always bad?
it is usually a bad thing but if you combine it with good reflexes then it means a keeper will pull off more out of the ordinary saves that can win games

It isn't necessarily a bad thing, Barthez was eccentric but was considered as one of the best keepers in the world at one point. Bruce Grobbelaar (sp) was considered the best keeper in the world and he was definately eccentric.

Despite that, I do tend to avoid keeprs with a high value in eccentricity.

eccentricity refers to the personality. if he is not in the staring eleven often, he will complain or request transfer. so first choice gk ok, but for back up not very good

how long do you play guys?

I disagree. Eccentricity isn't a personality trait in this case, I don't think. Rather I see it as the likelyhood of doing the unpredictable on the field, if your GK has a good decisions stat then you should be ok.

eccentricity refers to the personality. if he is not in the staring eleven often, he will complain or request transfer. so first choice gk ok, but for back up not very good

how long do you play guys?

Definitely not what eccentricity is...the only thing I ever noticed different between a GK with high eccentricity and one with low is the higher it is the more likely they are to rush out, on set pieces even more often than in one on one situations.

I don't even really look at it too much anymore, I have had some incredible keepers with 15+ eccentricity, but I will only keep a GK with high eccentricity if they also have good acceleration, decisions, and rushing out.

It isn't necessarily a bad thing, Barthez was eccentric but was considered as one of the best keepers in the world at one point. Bruce Grobbelaar (sp) was considered the best keeper in the world and he was definately eccentric.

Despite that, I do tend to avoid keeprs with a high value in eccentricity.

I tend to avoid players with high match-fixing ratings too :)

I tend to avoid eccenticity in my goalkeeper. If theres one position I want a Steadt Eddie its between the posts. Save the flair for the midfielders and fowards.

I dont think I have ever had an eccentirc goalkeeper that has been reliable.....although I wuldnt be 100% against it if his other stats were immense.

Eccentricity relates to the keeper's penchant for the unorthodox. Eccentricity, in combination with high stats for anticipation, concentration, decisions and positioning, can actually be a very positive attribute, as the keeper may be able to pull of saves that your average joe wouldn't be able to.

Eccentricity relates to the keeper's penchant for the unorthodox. Eccentricity, in combination with high stats for anticipation, concentration, decisions and positioning, can actually be a very positive attribute, as the keeper may be able to pull of saves that your average joe wouldn't be able to.

I agree - however they tend play outside their penalty box (and in most cases assist the back four) but also have tendency to either overplay (try a tackle/trick or pass to opposition) with an open net hehind them.

I agree - however they tend play outside their penalty box (and in most cases assist the back four) but also have tendency to either overplay (try a tackle/trick or pass to opposition) with an open net hehind them.

WHS. I ve conceded a few silly goals this season due to Buffon's antics :D

But then again he does save a load of shots so.........

I had an average goalkeeper with 20 for eccentricity when managing Luch in Russia on FM2006 called Gennady Tumilovich. Despite being my reserve, and only playing a handful of games in the 2nd tier, he's one of my favourite FM players of all time.

I think his reflexes were only about 11, but he used to pull off the most ridiculously good saves. He did though, predictably make more mistakes than your average goalkeeper. He also liked coming out of his area if I remember correctly. One of my favourite memories was of him having the ball on the halfway line and chipping a perfect through ball to one of my strikers.

He also had 20 for aggression, and after he left I checked his hidden attributes in the editor and I think he rated badly in things such as sportsmanship and temperament, and most likely had 20 for controversy.

So in my experience eccentricity can mean more great saves, but more mistakes.

all it measn how excentric a person is.. the higher it is the more outrages things the keeper will do. Bruce Grobbelarr comes to mind.. it could aslo be along the lines of flair for a striker. a GK with a high stat will need to be tamed with low CF.. it can help you tho if your playing a high line and want your keeper to act as a sweeper..

Eccentricity is a bad stat. Eccentricity is a stat representing eccentricity. A lower eccentricity means the goalkeeper is more consistent, calmer and a better decision maker.

That is all.

Yeah, buffon, kahn, lehmann, higuita were all useless (well maybe higuita, but he's fun to watch).

Archived