Has anyone been working on new tactics?

After reading through that monster thread about the removal of arrows and wether it's a good thing or not, I decided to try and work on making my usual tactic (a Chelsea-esque 4-5-1) without arrows in preperation for FM09.

I used this tactic, where there are farrows on two of my CM's and in-swinging arrows on my wingers, with loads of success with my Colwyn Bay team; rising up the leagues to the Premier League title in 2020. Now I feel like I cheated a bit, thinking the arrows indicated movement, when in reality they made robotic moves forward - resulting in an on-paper average CM getting a ridiculous amount of assists and goals.

Has anyone else been trying to create arrow-less tactics before 09 comes out?

After reading through that monster thread about the removal of arrows and wether it's a good thing or not, I decided to try and work on making my usual tactic (a Chelsea-esque 4-5-1) without arrows in preperation for FM09.

I used this tactic, where there are farrows on two of my CM's and in-swinging arrows on my wingers, with loads of success with my Colwyn Bay team; rising up the leagues to the Premier League title in 2020. Now I feel like I cheated a bit, thinking the arrows indicated movement, when in reality they made robotic moves forward - resulting in an on-paper average CM getting a ridiculous amount of assists and goals.

Has anyone else been trying to create arrow-less tactics before 09 comes out?

I've been trying it, as well, with a 4-2-3-1 at home and a 4-4-1-1 away. The first thing I noticed is how attacking you make a winger in a 4-4-2 even without farrows, and how attacking you can make a formation that looks quite defensive, with mentality, forward runs, and things like 'cross from byline'.

I used it on a game where I've been in charge of the same team, in the Prem, for a long time, and I've started off having a lot more success. I find it slightly less stressful creating tactics this way, without the millions of possible combinations that you have with arrows, as well! It definitely turns you towards player instructions and team settings, more, and it makes them easier to see in action, without the arrows getting in the way.

As was mentioned on the big thread, though, the only problem is when you want to make a player drop back a bit, but not to change his decision making to be more cautious/defensive. I hope they've tried to address that somehow in 09.

Archived