Am I rubbish?

Ive been playing the footy manager series since championship manager 3 and like to think of myself, as everyone as does, as a great manager. Ive had plenty of success, primarily with Man Utd, as they are my team, and have won everything, however I realise that this is generally seen as quite easy (with one of the top 4). On one of the older ones (say three of four versions ago) I won the Premiership twice in a row with Southampton which I was pretty proud of, but since then, and after reading plenty of posts on this site (im new to the blog) it seems my managerial ability is pretty average at best!

Ive had small successes with other teams in the Prem like Aston Villa and Newcastle but whenever I play as someone in the Championship or lower, I struggle. I'm often Southampton and after half a season have usually totally run out of ideas as I've tried everything i.e. tactics, formations (nothing too crazy/suicidal), personnel etc. but am still shipping 3 goals a game. No matter who I play in defence, or how I ask them to play, theyre absolute donkeys!

But the thing is, reading the blog, im hearin stories about Oxford United winning the Prem and Uefa cup, and Barnsley in the champions league etc, and have no idea how this is possible! So id love to hear some stories of peoples achievements, and perhaps a few suggestions as to how you dont seem to get thumped by doncaster and luton every week1 thanks :confused:

I wouldn't take any notice of the majority of people on here who claim to of won everything with even the smallest of teams. I take it with a pinch of salt

At the end of the day it isn't important how good you or anyone else is, as long as you enjoy playing it. An if you really do want to improve, go to the tactics forum

Welcome to the forums :)

I doubt you're rubbish, but you're not going to be as good as you think you are until you challenge yourself with smaller teams. It requires patience though, and I don't have patience so I avoid LLM most of the time and am happy to accept that i'm not a great manager.

anythings possible if you're willing to take the time - first time I tried llm i absolutely sucked. it's a completely different ball game to starting with a good team - it's all about the clever signings and a whole lotta luck lol but like i say it's very different to managing a big team. i always think its more fun to make a small team a big team but hey, [hippy]there's no rules man[/hippy] lol

Oh and it's even like it irl, there's countless llm who never quite manage it at the top level and there's a lot of top level managers who absolutely suck when they take over championship sides

Welcome to the forums :)

I doubt you're rubbish, but you're not going to be as good as you think you are until you challenge yourself with smaller teams. It requires patience though, and I don't have patience so I avoid LLM most of the time and am happy to accept that i'm not a great manager.

Same here.

Tried LLM, it's not for me, I enjoy the glamour that winning trophies with big teams brings.

I'm rubbish, I admit it :p

More truthfully though I have just hit a massive crisis of confidence courtesy of FM08 and me being totally unable to get a handle on stuff like defending (and attacking!). I used to be alright with tactics, but now I look at my defensive line and tweak things here and there with no confidence at all that I know how to stop conceding boat loads of goals. Then of course there's the other end and too many games where we just can't get the ball and keep it and create chances. I've returned to numerous previous versions in the last few weeks (CM 03/04, FM06, FM07) and my crisis of confidence has struck there now too where I used to have some decent success!

anythings possible if you're willing to take the time - first time I tried llm i absolutely sucked. it's a completely different ball game to starting with a good team - it's all about the clever signings and a whole lotta luck lol but like i say it's very different to managing a big team. i always think its more fun to make a small team a big team but hey, [hippy]there's no rules man[/hippy] lol

Oh and it's even like it irl, there's countless llm who never quite manage it at the top level and there's a lot of top level managers who absolutely suck when they take over championship sides

LLM = lower league manager or something right?! and IRL? sorry this is all new to me...

when im in charge of lower clubs i make signings that look so good they cant fail, only for them to be absolutely rubbish (despite their stats), as I watch a freekick from 35 yards fly in the top corner from dnny mills - or anyone else with a freekick taking ability of 5 or less!

I'm rubbish, I admit it :p

More truthfully though I have just hit a massive crisis of confidence courtesy of FM08 and me being totally unable to get a handle on stuff like defending (and attacking!). I used to be alright with tactics, but now I look at my defensive line and tweak things here and there with no confidence at all that I know how to stop conceding boat loads of goals. Then of course there's the other end and too many games where we just can't get the ball and keep it and create chances. I've returned to numerous previous versions in the last few weeks (CM 03/04, FM06, FM07) and my crisis of confidence has struck there now too where I used to have some decent success!

lol thats really funny, i totally understand. whatever i change in my tactics i feel like im going to get smited for. like wen i put three in midfield and another up front when im chasing a game the opposition passes it around huge gaps in my midfield whilst i try not to burst into tears. also, whats the deal with late goals?!? its impossible to see out a game!

I haven't played my Werder Bremen save in a while actually - I should probably go back to it since it is the only one where I did have a fair amount of success..."did" being the key word though. I appear to have peaked and the downward slope of that peak is a lot steeper than the upward slope I came up :p

Archived