FM 2008 > FM 2009 migration

Hi guys!!

I am new here and a FM freak for years! my question is whether it would be possible to move my FM2008 savegame to the FM2009 once it is released. I ve got a huge save file and had been playing it for months!!

Thanks for your feedback :)

It is simply not possible due to the vast amount of changes between game versions. Compare it with transfering your Quake savegame to Doom... for once the entire game has been moved 1 season forward, and wast amount of changes has happened to areas like transfer dealings, regens, match engine, leagues, number of players, finances etc. A very advanced simulation tool would be needed to perform such a migration.

But i guess part of the thrill when a new FM is released is actually creating that first game and beginning a whole new, fresh season with your favorite team to start to explore the many new features. Importing an old savegame would make it difficult to actually observe how the new game reacts.

It is simply not possible due to the vast amount of changes between game versions. Compare it with transfering your Quake savegame to Doom... for once the entire game has been moved 1 season forward, and wast amount of changes has happened to areas like transfer dealings, regens, match engine, leagues, number of players, finances etc. A very advanced simulation tool would be needed to perform such a migration.

But i guess part of the thrill when a new FM is released is actually creating that first game and beginning a whole new, fresh season with your favorite team to start to explore the many new features. Importing an old savegame would make it difficult to actually observe how the new game reacts.

I agree mate, FM2009 fresh start :) cant wait

yea let's the party start:

Can you load a Half-Life saved game into Half-Life 2?

Can you load an Age of Empires saved game into Age of Empires III?

Can you load.............

Need I go on, common sense dictates the answer is no.....

I think he understands already!

Off topic but there are some really good deals on Dell Inspirons' on their website, worth checking out if you haven't already.

Can you load a Half-Life saved game into Half-Life 2?

Can you load an Age of Empires saved game into Age of Empires III?

Can you load.............

Need I go on, common sense dictates the answer is no.....

Although the difference between the quoted games is a quantum leap, whereas FM is slightly tweaked each year. So less HL to HL2 and more Pac-Man to Mrs Pac Man.

• SI Staff
Although the difference between the quoted games is a quantum leap, whereas FM is slightly tweaked each year. So less HL to HL2 and more Pac-Man to Mrs Pac Man.

If it was only slightly tweaked then it would probably be possible but with various field added / removed to the database and every competition in the game updated for the new season then it's far from being slightly tweaked.

...for once the entire game has been moved 1 season forward, and wast amount of changes has happened to areas like transfer dealings, regens, match engine, leagues, number of players, finances etc. A very advanced simulation tool would be needed to perform such a migration.

What you describe are merely changes to data which isn't the problem - after all, you can open an FM08 save game in FM08 after a year, can't you. The issue is how that data is represented in the game. Even if the only new feature added to the game over a year was a single extra attribute to each player, the save game would be broken due to incompatibilities in the underlying data structures. The fact the team X has £1 more in the bank after a year makes no difference.

If SI released the file formats of things such as savegames and tactics files, third-party conversion tools could be created to allow you to play an old FM08 save with FM09, for example...

What you describe are merely changes to data which isn't the problem - after all, you can open an FM08 save game in FM08 after a year, can't you. The issue is how that data is represented in the game. Even if the only new feature added to the game over a year was a single extra attribute to each player, the save game would be broken due to incompatibilities in the underlying data structures. The fact the team X has £1 more in the bank after a year makes no difference.

If SI released the file formats of things such as savegames and tactics files, third-party conversion tools could be created to allow you to play an old FM08 save with FM09, for example...

FM09 has had leagues, cups etc. adjusted to the 08/09 season. The game begins in 2008. Loading a save game that is saved before this date will not make sense, and can not be handled by the game. Even though i do not know the code behind the game, i would argue that the update to the game SI makes, moving the game a year forward are more complex than just changing a date marker. But i guess you don't either... ;)

Good luck on making a 3rd party migration tool btw....

I'm getting a new laptop so I'm going to play FM09 on that. But I'm keeping my old one so that I can keep my FM08 save going. :)

It is possible to transfer your '08 game onto your new Notebook therefore you would be able to sell your old one.

If it was only slightly tweaked then it would probably be possible but with various field added / removed to the database and every competition in the game updated for the new season then it's far from being slightly tweaked.

Perhaps I need to clarify. If I have a save game then the match engine (the major change) is irrelevant because it only comes into play once each match is actually played. Competition rule changes can also be brought in "post save" as it was with the 7sub rule, so they're irrelevant too. Any changes to the "who is where" stuff also doesn't matter. Textual changes aren't saved in game so don't matter. Nor does a new skin. Now I appreciate that adding or removing an attribute will naturally adjust everything and therefore break importation.

But that's hardly an enormous list of entirely new things that stop you importing a save game. Ok it does, but it's one thing. Hence my slightly tweaked comment.

It's not like FM has suddenly turned into the PES Master League is it. Bit of XML here, bit of database tweaking there :)

Heck, SI themselves said that FM was a new coding base they would work on for ages, and it's clearly just refining rather than wholesale changes. Perhaps the use of the word slightly didn't help. Although take the broken confidence away from FM08 and it's pretty much FM07. So...

VB

Perhaps I need to clarify. If I have a save game then the match engine (the major change) is irrelevant because it only comes into play once each match is actually played. Competition rule changes can also be brought in "post save" as it was with the 7sub rule, so they're irrelevant too. Any changes to the "who is where" stuff also doesn't matter. Textual changes aren't saved in game so don't matter. Nor does a new skin. Now I appreciate that adding or removing an attribute will naturally adjust everything and therefore break importation.

I think Ter is talking about competition changes a lot more complicated than the sub rule changing from 5 to 7, like leagues completely restructuring. Pretty sure it would be a lot more complicated than you're making it seem.

In the end it would cause more problems than its worth.

It is possible to transfer your '08 game onto your new Notebook therefore you would be able to sell your old one.

You beat me to it since I was about to post the same answer. If you do port your game over then remember to install the same patch & database.

teknologix im in the same position because I love my saved game and would love to play it in 09version, at the moment I think whats the point in playing it any further because as soon as 09 is here I wont ever play it again, only 24 days to go for release and demo should be 2 weeks away at the most! cant wait

But the match engine?

FM09 has had leagues, cups etc. adjusted to the 08/09 season. The game begins in 2008. Loading a save game that is saved before this date will not make sense, and can not be handled by the game. Even though i do not know the code behind the game, i would argue that the update to the game SI makes, moving the game a year forward are more complex than just changing a date marker. But i guess you don't either... ;)

Good luck on making a 3rd party migration tool btw....

No, I don't know the code behind FM, but I worked on a recent CM for a year, so I know how the file formats affect things. Again, the fact that the data has changed is not relevant.

As a clunky example, imagine that child's game where you've got different shapes and holes that the shapes fit through. If the data changes, it is analogous to changing the colours - they still fit through the holes. If you change the file format, the shapes no longer fit through the same holes...

So, if SI introduced no save-game breaking features and just did a data update, this would be loadable in the previous year's game.

Also, I never said I was going to create a 3rd party conversion tool - merely that it could be done were the file formats explicitly stated by SI (which they won't be).

Archived