Longest injury lay-off?

This may well have been asked before, but I couldn't find anything via search.

What's the longest period without a game one of your players has suffered due to injury (single or consecutive?) I'm talking about instances where a player did actually feature for your team again, i.e. you didn't release him or sell him on.

Having started the thread I feel I should have a horror story of my own to recount, but sadly nothing spectacular. Paul Ronald, one half of my legendary Ronald-Young striker partnership at Stranraer circa CM 01/02, was injured midway through one season (broken leg or something) and didn't recover until the next pre-season, whereupon he promptly did his cruciate in the first week of training. He then suffered a serious hamstring injury in a reserve game and ended up basically missing two seasons through injury.

Needless to say, he was never the same afterwards and retired at the end of the following season to become a coach (I kept him on even though his stats were poor out of pity.) As I said, not spectacular, but I play slowly so it seemed like an age to me.

Anyone else experienced anything worse?

Hi all, Im a new user on these forums and am a football manager addict! Regarding this subject, on fm2006 i was at Inter Milan and i signed a dutch derfender Thomas Meyer for about 12m. For every two matches he played he then picked up a groin injury which put him out for 2-3 months at a time, This continued for nearly 2 seasons. In the end i cashed in on him and let him go.

Think my longest was Huntelaar in FM08. Injured in the first game in pre-season, out 2-3 months. Reinjured in training for 5 months. Then after 3 games, injured for another 3 months. So after I signed him for £10m, he played a total of 3 competitive games in the first season. Start of the second season he got red carded and missed 3 games due to suspension!

I refused to play him for a while and sold him for £6m in the January sales. Got Michael Owen instead haha!

Agbonlahor... my top scorer in my first season in the premiership with york in fm08 - got injured 3 quarters of the way through the season, had a brief stint back in the team 4 seasons later after finally recovering (from about 10 consecutive injuries) but by then I'd got James Vaughan and Robin van Persie who to this day (now 15 years on from vps retirement ingame) remain the two upfront in the york best ever 11 so he was never really gonna get another go... and of course this being fm08 noone was ever gonna sign him lol

Tevez...broke his leg and was out for 6 months. First match back muscle tear or something and he was gone for another 4 months. After that when playing for my reserves he got a broken foot which was another 2-3 months. This was my worsrt ever!

On cm 97 Roberto Carlos got injured for over a year, broken spine if i remember right.

splitting hairs i know but iirc its damaged spine not broken. i very much doubt anyone with a borken spine would be able to play football again.

cruciate ligament damage seems to be the worst for me... 8/9 months... unless i have kewell in me team, then its virtually the length of his contract, although admittedly, thats not just one injury. seems like it at the time though!

splitting hairs i know but iirc its damaged spine not broken. i very much doubt anyone with a borken spine would be able to play football again.

cruciate ligament damage seems to be the worst for me... 8/9 months... unless i have kewell in me team, then its virtually the length of his contract, although admittedly, thats not just one injury. seems like it at the time though!

Yeah true, i cant remember very well though - but he was definetly out for over a year.

i had Salvatore Foti out for 8months, and i bought Jussie for £9m or something, he got injured in his first match for 8months, then when he got back, injured after about 3 games, for another 6months, ended up selling him for like £1.5m to norwich haha, bad buy, but i had plenty of money

Kris Boyd in my first season scored 42 goals...next season he was injured on first game with broken foot...4 months later exact same injury when making his comeback and this time he wa out till end of season...injured in pre-season...carried on for 5 years. Finally made his comeback against aberdeen in 2014 and scored hat-trick. injured four games later and retired and end of seasin through injury! Good news is i had nicolas millan and mika aaritalo as cover.

The most I can recall was Leroy Lita in FM07 getting injured for 18 months with a knee injury, in his first reserve game after resuming full training, he broke his leg and was out for 6 months. He retired, by the age of 25 :o(

Giovinco for my Shakhtar team in 08. Broke his leg around August time so was out for 5 months, 2 days after his return a torn groin muscle in training for another 3 months out. Also Chrygryinskyi was out for 6 months altogether through 3 successive injuries.

well for me it has to be a series of injuries , i don't remember the player but it was in fm 07 he kept injuring himself whether i played him or not

he stayed away more then a year then i left him in the reserves and ultimately sold the poor guy

• 1 year later...
Hi all, Im a new user on these forums and am a football manager addict! Regarding this subject, on fm2006 i was at Inter Milan and i signed a dutch derfender Thomas Meyer for about 12m. For every two matches he played he then picked up a groin injury which put him out for 2-3 months at a time, This continued for nearly 2 seasons. In the end i cashed in on him and let him go.

You was at AC Milan you spoon!

FM05, Eider Gudjohsen disclocated his shoulder, out for about 4 months until he played. First match back, did it again. His second comeback... again. I sent him for surgery which was about 7 months lay off. SO all in all he was out for about 15 months before playing 90 mins for the first team.

Longest I ever had was 4+ seasons on FM08. (It would of gone on longer but got bored of that save)

I think it was a bug as it was as soon as the game come out and wasn't patched or anything.

Rooney suffered a head injury and never recovered, he was always an orange injury! Couldn't call him up for England or anything :(

You mean no one irl or in-game? They don't occur much but irl, Dutch side FC Groningen has 3 players out for 12 months. I've seen them in-game too.

Please show me a screen shot as I've never seen a Rosicky, Eduardo, Hargreaves type in recent versions.

Sol Campbell.

2 games he played for my Coventry team, as captain averaged a nice 7.48 (2 games in but still, can't complain) then all of a sudden. 9 month injury, leading him to retire. gutting. My central defense wasnt the same after that.

I had John Aloisi out for 13 months with a torn ACL, let him go at the end of his contract as he was still injured for 6 months. Fans and chairman not impressed that I let him go... If that happened, (speaking as a Sydney FC fan myself) I'd be saying thank you for your time, bye. Not outraged he wasn't kept on his overpriced contract

• 1 year later...

That's an injury mod isn't it?

I know someone who had that mod, and had a goalkeeper get testicular cancer.

I've had a 9 month ACL injury, and a few long-term torn calf muscle or broken legs.

Had one guy break his leg, missing half the season + pre-season next year, come back, first 5 minutes of his return, calf muscle tear out for 5 more.

9 months with a serious viral infection. It was part of a horror season where almost all of my first team strikers were injured long-term, the 9 monther was my best forward, while the two back up youngsters had various ligament and broken leg ailments.

Yaya Sanogo was the only one left, so he threw a moodie. I think it mentally broke him not having a strike partner.

Archived