Am I thinking of the 3D as a tactics tool?

Ok since the 3D got announced i've been thinking about what team to manage on FM09. In FM05, 06, 07 and FM08 I have only ever been and played with one team...Manchester United and even in the CM days, and international teams.

Ok here is the problem...i'm thinking of managing a very low championship side...i'm thinking "if I lose then so what?" because the 3D will help me get my tactics right. I only think this because the 3D will show more and thus helps me picture if a player is close to tackling a player, is strong enough, how he loses the ball and the positions a player takes. Then i'm also thinking if I concede a goal I will go back and rotate the camera view and see what mistake was made for the goal to have been conceded.

I don't know if this is a far fetched imagination because I don't know what the 3D will be like, I only am thinking this because watching football on TV you see pundits like Andy Gray pointing out mistakes etc.

Strictly speaking, as a tactical tool, 2D is much better as it enables you to see to entire pitch at once, and in doing so, monitor all of your players position and movements. Pro Zone, which is used by many Premiership managers is 2D for ecatly this reason.

3D will give some advantages such as seeing exactly how players lost the ball, or why their touch was bad, but that will only be the case if theanimations are good enough to allow this.

Hmm... I feel that you can tell what mistakes your players make fairly well in 2008 (2D).

I don't think you should expect too much from the animations in the 3D engine. I don't think you should expect very much actually. The feel of the various statements from SI is that the animations will be very basic and that the engine is at an early stage. Off course nothing can be predetermined about it since SI have been very hush hush and the video feeds of the new engine have been limited. But I have my doubts about whether 3D will help you in tactical aspects or if it's just to keep up with the progress of games. And off course taking steps towards the future of these games. In the future managing games like FM will likely be very detailed and tactics, players attributes and 3D physics will blend and work together in a benificial manner. But I wouldn't bet my money on it this time around.

I think 3D was designed gto eventually do that and if it helps in FM09 then great. It will mast probably work best in a tactical sense by combining both 2D and 3D views when you are seeing why something happened etc. Bong-Bongo made a good point about Pro Zone using 2D but IRL they can see what actually happened so to be able to look at both and say "right, I need to change this" will be easier in the future.

As Shorty is saying, combination of both views would work best. Even when watching in 3D, you can keep the 2D view widget on the screen so we can do that as much as 3D display's clarity permits.

We can do that right? I thought I saw screenie of that but am not sure.

As Shorty is saying, combination of both views would work best. Even when watching in 3D, you can keep the 2D view widget on the screen so we can do that as much as 3D display's clarity permits.

We can do that right? I thought I saw screenie of that but am not sure.

The 2D in my opinion is going to be useless in FM09 in my opinion if you want to use the 3D because the 3D excels the 2D, let me state why...because the 2D is only useful with the commentry, without the commentry you no nothing at all except the player positions and where the ball is.

The only good thing about the 2D people may say is...you can see the positions of all the players BUT in 3D you might be able to if your looking at an incident and you rotate the camera angles and check the different views, the only thing the 2D will do I think is give the positions of all the players all in one.

Even if the 3D is not fully animated the text will cover it because you are only imagining what happens when your watching the 2D so you might as well watch the 3D because thats exactly what is happening...if that makes sense.

Archived