Another bit of added realism

Hi I'm new to this forum so apologies if this has been suggested, but has anyone thought it would be good on the set up page if you could select a player already in the game. Its seems pointless to me building in more and more in depth stats to have "Little Johnny" managing Man Utd. Being able to select Roy Keane and then waiting as half of the Irish team want to join you seems more plausible

i dont know, i think maybe could be a good idea. you can select only players that have just retired and have coaching badges, or you can complete them during your first season as in real-life, therefore just having there past playing history or something. this could be implemented as an option.

i for one think this would be interesting! defo!

I agree this could be interesting. I think it should be that we could pick any manager that starts unemployed. If someone really really wants a particular manager that happens to be employed at the start, they could always use the editor beforehand to free them.

I think adding yourself as a player manager would be a good option, not that you controll what you do on the pitch, nothing like that but the ability to have 2 or 3 seasons being player manager, your stats would be randonly generated depending on what you choose at start up (sunday league player ect ect)

let's say I want to be a famous manager to start with so that I can easily get a job at a big club if I want. But I also want to start at my local club. Then there is no way around except having an unfair advantage over other teams in that scenario if player-manager's player ability depends on reputation that manager starts with.

I would definitely like to be Wenger. Don't like him displaced from job and going on to manage Chelsea, Man Utd and the sort when I start as Arsenal manager.

I would rather challenge myself against the best (i.e. Wenger, Ferguson etc.) rather than having the easy option of stepping into their ready made shoes.

For me, there is no real value int his idea. If you want to be a Roy keane type manager, then you can easily base yourself on him and you can put you history as ex-international etc.

I don't see what this would add really. You wouldn't be Roy Keane, you'd just have his name and history, but manage as yourself. I'd certainly like to be able to "flesh out" my player/management history though when I add myself as a manager, even if it is only cosmetic, rather than just have next to no personality and certain things attributed to me whether I want them or not! Most obviously, being a former international footballer, but with no caps is silly.

I do not like this idea.

Simply, it is about your management, your attributes, your nationality, your approach, your everything. If you wish not to have your real name in game, just name yourself Roy Keane when creating you as a new manager...

What people don't seem to understand is that just because you take Manager A's name, it doesn't mean you become him. You just become yourself with his name. You would still be you making decisions and imposing your own character on your team. At least the AI has Manager A's character built in, which is why the same doesn't apply to the AI being Manager A.

People also forget that, when you start a game as yourself, you are not a nobody unless you choose to be. You can give yourself a history of having been an international footballer if you want. That means you're still you, but with a more realistic back story.

The idea is similar to and maybe stems from the 'Be a Pro/Legend' feature on pro evo and fifa where you can select a real player. It's quite fun but you get fixed stats which tells you how good you are at shooting for example. Meanwhile there won't be any stats able to govern how you act like a particular manager. Sure you could have +effectiveness at team talks if you're fergie but it's very subjective as well as hard to research on a database as large as FM. Can't exactly send a researcher into the dressing room of a local match at half time to determine how good the manager is at man management.

Cheers for all your feedback, even if it seems the general feeling is negative. My idea stemmed from despite my obvious confidence in my ability, at 30 my gradual acceptance I will not be the next Man U manager, whereas Keane stands a chance. I liked the idea of taking control of a manager, and all of his built in favourites e.g. Mourinho and Drogba. I see it as an addition to simply selecting yourself as an International, yet in terms of being liked you remain anonymous. I saw this as an addition to setting up a new manager not a replacement.

To me it seems pointless as as a manager as myself in the game i can build up bonds get a reputation as a disiplinarian etc. Surely having somebody else name is like trying to pass a cow off as a sheep. They are completely different, just like you and Roy Keane or any other manager.

Yeah but Gauvner if you want to manage a premiership team in reality you would all ready have that reputation/bond built up. If you were an international its unlikely you would have got that far without making a few friends alond the way

Yeah but Gauvner if you want to manage a premiership team in reality you would all ready have that reputation/bond built up. If you were an international its unlikely you would have got that far without making a few friends alond the way

That's why you pick reputation at the start of the game and if you want it to be realistic you should probably set it as Ex International, that way you have the highest rep you can start with.

I think that would be abused since someone could choose to be an international and then manage in a lower team where that one player could slaughter everyone.

yeh ok, but at the minute you can select reputation and select internation player, so not alot of difference really.

you would also have favourite personel already and could tempt them to come help you out.

That's why you pick reputation at the start of the game and if you want it to be realistic you should probably set it as Ex International, that way you have the highest rep you can start with.

the problem with that is you have a high reputation but not any indivdual alliances e.g. Mourinho / Drogba. In reality if you had been in football that long you would have made some friends along the way. As it is you are an ex international who nobody has any opinion of

the problem with that is you have a high reputation but not any indivdual alliances e.g. Mourinho / Drogba. In reality if you had been in football that long you would have made some friends along the way. As it is you are an ex international who nobody has any opinion of

So then surely the fix for this is that SI build into the game that you can select two or three people (doesn't necessarily have to be players) that you can set up as friends! The whole 'playing as Roy Keane (or whoever)' is a non-starter for me as others have said it's not like you are actually playing as that person! What is stopping you simply naming yourself Roy Keane and using his birthday and Ex-International as your status?

Archived