3D Match Engine

The great thing about the 2D pitch was that the goals were never the same over and over again. Remember when LMA Manager had their 3D Pitch on the Playstation and all the goals were more or less the same and after a while the game started to get boring, because it was like you knew what was going to happen next.

I hope the 3D Match Engine of Football Manager 09 Doesnt go down the same path as this and sticks to the same sort of gameplay as 08 with some obvious improvements.

Roll on Football Manager 2009 :)

• SI Staff

The "match engine" is an evolution of what we had before so you'll still get a variety of different goals. There aren't any scripted scenes of goals that you will see over and over again if that is what you are worried about :)

The "match engine" is an evolution of what we had before so you'll still get a variety of different goals. There aren't any scripted scenes of goals that you will see over and over again if that is what you are worried about :)

I think that's exactly what a lot of people are/were worried about

It's the LMA Manager and Fifa Manager's 3D engines that have scarred us all. We are counting on you SI, to save us from the nightmares of the horrific 3D matches in past football managing games

I think that's exactly what a lot of people are/were worried about

It's the LMA Manager and Fifa Manager's 3D engines that have scarred us all. We are counting on you SI, to save us from the nightmares of the horrific 3D matches in past football managing games

If the unlikely phenomanan(sp) happens that SI get it wrong we always have our tried and tested 2D to switch too, although I hope it isn't forced

I will use all

That's only one aspect though. The deciding factor will be whether there's enough variety in animations and whether the 3D players are 'smart' enough to make the right move (i.e pick the right animation) in a specific situation. Otherwise the 3D will not only look repetitive, but will also ruin the illusion of a realistic football match that the 2D creates by forcing us to use our imagination.

If the unlikely phenomena ;) happens that SI get it wrong we always have our tried and tested 2D to switch too, although I hope it isn't forced

I will use all

Peter, I think on FM09 when you switch from 2D to 3D and vice-versa, all you are doing is changing camera angles.

SI have already said it's the same engine so we shouldn't worry.

Peter, I think on FM09 when you switch from 2D to 3D and vice-versa, all you are doing is changing camera angles.

SI have already said it's the same engine so we shouldn't worry.

Thats correct but just because it is the same engine, doesn't mean it will be any good.

Archived