FM09/WSM09 - 'Never get fired' option, please

It would be great if we finally had a "never get fired" option.

For some (possibly many) of us, FM/WSM is an exercise in frustration. We love soccer with a passion, and would like to act out some of our managing fantasies via this game, but when we take over our favorite team we find it impossible to last more than a season or two without getting sacked.

I've downloaded tactics, read countless threads in the tactics forum, and copied and printed out thousands of words' worth of tactical guides from that forum. Trying to find or develop a tactical set that works at least well enough to keep my position with the team of my choice has often felt like a second job. I have spent a lot of time trying to understand the tactical system, but I really do not have that kind of time in my life. And to make it worse, all of this effort has produced more frustration than success.

It shouldn't be this way. This is a game and it should be fun.

For me, sports management sims are not so much about winning, but more about the *process of managing*. Developing players, managing contracts, following the careers of players I sell on.

I don't want to manage top-flight teams like Chelsea and Man U. They are boring. I don't want to "win everything". I just want to manage the specific teams I like and follow in real life, for as long as I want. Those teams are mostly lower level teams.

A "never get fired" option would allow people like me, who approach FM differently than the rest of you, to have fun with the game. For one thing, it would allow us to experiment with different team philosophies and tactical philosophies over an extended period of time, and see the results of our experiments.

A "never get fired" option could be called "owner-manager" or anything else you like, and it would simply be an option. A box to check when you set up your game. Those of you who thrive on competitiveness and tension in your FM universe would not have to use it. It would not impact the way you enjoy your game.

An option to manage your favorite team as long as you want could very well eliminate many of the bitter complaints that appear on this forum about the "cheating AI," the "lack of realism," etc. I have been coming to this forum since 2001 and these complaints show up every year, with every new version of FM. People complain, and other people shout them down.

I expect my comments here to draw the usual insults and sarcasm and name calling. I rarely post here because it is a very rude and unfriendly place.

But I am hoping that someone from SI will read this and understand that I am simply asking for a way for many of us who love soccer and want to love this game to have more fun with it.

Thanks!

• Replies 137
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I don't see a problem with this, I wouldn't use it but there are a few that will

If it's not currently in 09 there is no chance of it getting included, it's about 3 months too late!

RSK360 that was a pretty pointless post, why not? you don't have to use it and it wouldn't take too long to implement!

if you guys want it fine, i would personally find it useless as it detracts from "my" idea of the game, if you are poor so you should be sacked. but for me it would be getting too close to the likes of lma manager and such as the king midas cheats. but each to their own

It is extremely unrealistic but you miss the point.. this is a computer game at the end of the day. Again, I wouldnt use it myself, but I think it would be a really good feature to be implemented and it would give the game a little more longevity to the series for the casual gamer

As others have said it is unrealistic. Plus it will more than likely get abused by some people. For example add secondary new manager, sell all the players then go on permanent holiday and don't let the ass man buy anyone. Soon see that club towards the bottom of the league.

Plus it takes an edge off the game, going into a season knowing if you lose your first ten games it's not going to matter in the slightest.

As others have said it is unrealistic. Plus it will more than likely get abused by some people. For example add secondary new manager, sell all the players then go on permanent holiday and don't let the ass man buy anyone. Soon see that club towards the bottom of the league.

Plus it takes an edge off the game, going into a season knowing if you lose your first ten games it's not going to matter in the slightest.

There are many other things in game that players can abuse, if they want to then let them in my opinion!

I usually play as my favourite team but I wouldn't get any enjoyment out of only keeping my job because of a box I ticked at the start of the game. If you want to play 'fantasy football' instead of a simulation, then you can use tools like the bundled editor and FMM to alter the game in your favour.

Thing is not everyone wants realism and this will please them without making our experience suffer

I agree completely. If it was optional then it won't affect anyone who doesn't want it enabled. For me personally, I'd feel like I was ten-pin bowling with the barriers up but I'd be up for the inclusion of it regardless.

I'm usually all for realism, which is why I prefer FM over other games.

However, I don't think this is an unreasonable request.

While I would never use this option, I'm sure there are people out there that this would be a very helpful feature in their eyes - specifically kids & new players who can use it to learn about the game without pressure.

As for using this to cheat, well there are probably much better & easier ways to cheat.

Seriously, why do people get upset when other people want the option to help them with the game, an option they will not use and it will never affect them. Its very childish.

Put it in, it might help new players get used to the game. If they can only play 3 months before they get sacked then it could be very frustrating for them when they dont get enough time to learn before they have to start again.

I wouldn't object to this option being made available.

I wouldn't use it myself, and I would disregard it much in the same way I do with the "use real players - no" option.

Can't see why anyone would object seeing as it would be their choice to use it or not.

There are many other things in game that players can abuse, if they want to then let them in my opinion!

Yes there are but i was stating the example for this reason, plus it's a long term club killer that you don't have to manage to ensure it happens.

Anyway back to my previous point it's unrealistic and if every idea suggested was put in because it has an on/off "option" there would be more option screens than actual game ones!

It's an option, not something you are forced into.

I would never use it, but I support the fact that some people would like it. The coding would be simple enough anyway.

I am not sure if the coding would be that simple to be honest.

We have Tick boxes for things like no transfer money during first window

&

No Real Players...

A tick box wont do new players any harm, i can understand why they would want to use it. Its a game meant to entertain & whilst personally i like being under the pressure of the sack i can see how others find it frustrating.

A OPTION doesnt mean people who dont want to use it will have to.

Stop being childish people.

"I am not sure if the coding would be that simple to be honest."

coding has been done for No real players.

Surely that is harder than this?

"I am not sure if the coding would be that simple to be honest."

coding has been done for No real players.

Surely that is harder than this?

I can't say for certain but I would say for certain that it isn't simple. For the no real players option basically random players have to be generated. I would think that would be easier to code than an unsackable manager option.

imo, football manager is a game which gives you a realistic idea of what it is like to be a manager. This idea would render the game pointless and funless. You might as well add a 'never get injured' box and a 'always get world class players for free' box.

I don't see why it shouldn't be included. Of course it won't be realistic, but neither is having the power of the editor. Its our game so those of us that want to play it unrealistically, should have the option. Personally, I, like 99% of players, won't use it.

imo, football manager is a game which gives you a realistic idea of what it is like to be a manager. This idea would render the game pointless and funless. You might as well add a 'never get injured' box and a 'always get world class players for free' box.

Yeah, that is a point I agree with. If this was added then I am sure there who be people who may want other options like this.

Some people really are so bad at the game that they can't last a single season on any club, getting continually fired isn't fun either.

Like peter-evo said, perhaps a tutorial season "Un-sackable in the first season" option would give such players a chance to get used to the game.

I wouldn't need it myself, you understand, being a managerial genius and all. ;)

I did wonder if there would be less incentive to improve performances if you knew you weren't going to get the sack but surely the drive of surviving a relegation battle or challenging for that last european place would over-ride it?

On a side note, I've never known about an Advisor.

How do you disable it?

I'm not sure if I've done it in the very beginning and just forgotten about it.

Can I re-enable it then?

I'd like to be reminded what it is like.

There is an option in preferences to enable it or disable it. It will appear to in the bottom right hand corner and you can search for what you want help with.

There is also an ingame tutorial that you can access by pressing F1.

No.

This wouldn't help people learn. There's no motivation. The way to learn is to get help from the likes of Cleon and wwfan with your tactics. Stopping you from being sacked wouldn't suddenly make people figure out tactics (which is where most people struggle).

Eventually, you'd be in huge trouble. Moral rock bottom, no one will join the club, all players want to leave. There's no way back from that.

Also, eventually you have to be sacked- if you only load one league and get relegated from that, for example.

As SCIAG says, there's a lot more to the coding than simply taking out the sacking part. I'd much rather SI spent their time adding something that a) more people would use and b) doesn't detract quite so much from the idea of FM being a simulation. I understand that some unrealistic things should be in to keep it fun, but I just don't think this is one of them.

There's no right way to play Football Manager, and there's no wrong way either.

Some people don't want a typical manager's career: they simply want to play one team for a billion years because they love that club. Even if they somehow manage to relegate Manchester United, they want to continue playing as that team. This is not wrong.

Some people don't want a chairman interfering in the hopes they'll have an experience like Ferguson or Wenger's - with almost no interference by the chairman. That is understandable.

I have no problem with this option as I'm sure a lot of people fall into this category (why else do some people pick the same club every time a new version of Football Manager comes out?). Of course it's not realistic but then again not moving fixtures for television revenue is hardly realistic, right? Or having no transfer budget in the first season. Or the strange oddity of Joe Average, English coach, who bizarrely gives your rubbish Spanish team the entire knowledge of England's footballing world.

Yes it's realism but it's also a game. Not everyone plays like wwfan or Cleon.

Seriously, why do people get upset when other people want the option to help them with the game, an option they will not use and it will never affect them. Its very childish.

This place is full of it. An option like this wouldnt make one it of difference to those that wouldnt use it so there really shouldnt be a problem, not on here though. This is a game and meant to be fun, if that is an option that makes people enjoy the game more then whats the big deal?

Archived