Hello! I hope you help me.

Hello everybody!

This is my first time in forums. I am a big fan of FM. I've been playing it since 1994, when it's known as CM and was released under Domark. I moved to USA couple of weeks ago and of course I'm tremendously excited about FM 2009. But there is a little doubt in my mind. In USA there is no FM. It's Worldwide Soccer Manager here, as you know. I'd like to know that if there is any difference between FM and WSM? I mean, if they're just the same game, but different names? Exactly same codes, same everything, but names? if that's the case, then I could buy and play FM here in USA, after 18th of November. If there are some differences, could you please tell what they are?

All the best!

BrOwen

They're pretty much the same, if your able to get the UK version you may be better off, I can't speak for FM09 but in FM07/8 there were certain files/editors you could use in FM and not WWSM, pretty minor stuff though that you don't need and may not want anyways.

WWSM and FM have the exact same functionality, if you buy the boxed version (available from amazon.com, or pre-order at your local game store). Some of the defaults are different. E.g., the default language is English-American, the default currency is American dollars, etc. However, you can select English-UK, British Pounds Sterlin, Euros, etc. All the same leagues, players, etc, are included.

If you buy the online download version of WWSM, you won't have full language support (to save download size, you won't get Dutch, for example.)

For either, most third-party additions will work. For example, skins, DB updates, tactics, etc, that you might download should all work. Image packs that tell you to install to X directory will work. Online network play with owners of FM works just fine.

The differences rekluse mentions are two things: the default installation directory is "Worldwide Soccer Manager" instead of "Football Manager", so some third-party additions with a clever "installer" will install themselves to a non-existant directory, not to your game. Also, the in-memory editor looks for memory used by "fm.exe", and the WWSM program is named "wwsm.exe". You should be able to work around that by re-naming the .exe.

Lastly, when patches are released, the WWSM version tends to release a few hours later; you need to make sure you get the WWSM patch, not the FM patch, which can be frustrating on some mirror sites that don't identify the WWSM patch.

Personally, I buy WWSM every year ('05, '06, '07, '08) and have not had any difficulties doing anything I wanted to with it.

It is the same game with variation in language, I.E Jersey-kit, soccer-football etc

Correction - that's merely the difference between "English - UK" and "English - American"; I believe you can select either language with either FM or WWSM.

Correction - that's merely the difference between "English - UK" and "English - American"; I believe you can select either language with either FM or WWSM.

oh really? Cool. I thought the main reason people from the USA bought the British version because of language issues!

oh really? Cool. I thought the main reason people from the USA bought the British version because of language issues!

It certainly would be if it were the case!

Despite being American through and through, I switch to English-UK every time I install .. because I primarily play in Europe and it doesn't feel "realistic" with American terms.

I imagine I might switch to English-American if I were going to play a long-term MLS save.

hello again. first of all, thank you guys who replied my question. i really appreciate. i read all your replies and it seems there are only minor differences between FM and WSM, mostly based on language. and i never used pre-game nor save-game editors. so, i guess, i have nothing to worry about.

if this is the case, if the rest of the game is exactly the same, i.e., same coding, same game engine, same design, same functionality, etc, then i'll buy it. could you say this as the bottom line: "you go buy it man, they are same." i guess, especially American residence friends'd do the real help.

thank you again and again.

BrOwen

hello again. first of all, thank you guys who replied my question. i really appreciate. i read all your replies and it seems there are only minor differences between FM and WSM, mostly based on language. and i never used pre-game nor save-game editors. so, i guess, i have nothing to worry about.

if this is the case, if the rest of the game is exactly the same, i.e., same coding, same game engine, same design, same functionality, etc, then i'll buy it. could you say this as the bottom line: "you go buy it man, they are same." i guess, especially American residence friends'd do the real help.

thank you again and again.

BrOwen

The engine is exacly the same, the title would be changed because americans would mistake "Football Manager" for american football management. You will be able to come on here and discuss things and we will be able to help because it is all the same :thup:

800th post :eek:

Archived