Varying League Winning Totals Between Playing League and Background League

I am currently in my 10th season of an 8.0.2 save in which I have moved from Juventus (4 seasons) to Marseilles (2 Seasons) to Barcalona (3.5 Seasons). During the course of this game through a combination of marvelling at the dominance of Lyon in France and checking up on how my old teams were doing without me I have kept an eye on championship tables in France, Spain and Italy and this has confirmed for me something which I began to suspect in Marseilles - the game appears to make the point total necessary to win a league considerably higher when you are playing in that league as opposed to having it in the background.

To illustrate here are the point totals for the title winners from each league before and after I left. (In years in which I won the league I use the second place score with my own total in red brackets).

Serie A - 99, 85 (GD), 90, 80 (89) - I Leave - 69, 70, 65, 63, 76

Ligue 1 - 73, 74, 82, 81 - I Arrive - 102, 98 - I Leave - 86, 70, 75

La Liga - 88, 79, 75, 80, 75, 73 - I Arrive - 93 90 (96), 96 (GD)

That is an average score for the AI in years when I am managing directly against it of 88.5 in Italy, 100 in France and 93 in Spain. The average title winning score in years when I am not managing in that league is 68.6 in Italy, 77.3 in France and 78.3 in Spain. This is a difference of 20 points in Italy, 23 in France (in a shorter time frame) and 15 in Spain.

Personally I'm convinced that the game is adjusting the quality of the opposing teams when I am in the league (Lyon in particular in France, Valencia and Real Madrid in Spain - Italy has seen a bizarre mix of teams topping the table while Milan, Inter and Fiorentina my usual nemeses have all struggled to a greater or lesser extent). Has anyone else encountered something similar and, if so, can SI say if this problem has been ironed out for FM09? It's a strange problem because winning the league should not be easy (and my final totals would generally win any season in which I'm not managing in that league) and it is still possible to win titles, but it is both frustrating and unrealistic.

Nope, it's the difference between running with the quick and full match engine. Change your detail level for the league you 'leave' and you'll see.

I never knew this even existed! Sure would explain a few things. If the "quick" engine is going to be so inaccurate tho, why is it the defaul setting?

Does this mean that always all leagues we are not managing in run on a lower detail level or is it the OPs settings?

But still, that proves that the low detail settings doesn't work properly.

Or maybe rather the full detail setting doesn't. I'm in Germany and my massive 12 wins 1 draw 1 loss start to the season earned me nothing but a 3 point advantage or the 3rd placed team. That's very unrealistic...

Does this mean that always all leagues we are not managing in run on a lower detail level or is it the OPs settings?

But still, that proves that the low detail settings doesn't work properly.

Or maybe rather the full detail setting doesn't. I'm in Germany and my massive 12 wins 1 draw 1 loss start to the season earned me nothing but a 3 point advantage or the 3rd placed team. That's very unrealistic...

The OP's settings are the same as mine, and I have never altered them until about 5 minutes ago. In respsonse to the seconds bit, it strikes me that the points totals from the "quick" generated leagues are more reflective of reality than the full detail.

For me it has to be somewhere in between. Ligue 1 and La Liga seem reasonable with the low detail (maybe 4 or 5 points low), but Serie A just went nuts when I left. A summary of events shows:

Title Winners - Inter, Roma, Roma, Cagliari, Juve

Second Place - Genoa, Lazio, Palermo, Roma, Roma

Bologna finishing 4th, Genoa finishing top in the top four 3 times.

AC Milan - 9th, 3rd, 10th, 11th, 3rd

Inter Milan - 1st, 5th, 9th, 12th, 6th

Lower detail shouldn't do that to a league should it?

Settings were default by the way - they aren't any more.

Archived