End of an Era...

Seeing as there will be a 3D match engine in 2009's version of FM, we will becoming to the end of the 2d match engine era (even though it still will be in the game).

Ever since CM4 the match engine has given FM/CM gamers awesome times and then some god awful times all in the same day, even in the same game. I loved it when my centre mid scored super 50 yard strikes but absolutely hated it when my world class striker missed a sitter. Or in when my team has created a super scoring chance then they would kick it right back to the full back and we had to start again (happened a lot to me on CM4). And when i created a super tactic and watched it unfold in beautiful 2D as my Pandev dot scored for fun, but it bummed me out when the 4-2-4 came out and scored three in the last fifteen minutes.

So to all you FMers out there what has been your most favourite or most horrible momenton the 2D engine?

2D has been great but I think SI have made the right decision to start moving towards 3D. I love it when my team passes the ball around between the defence and the midfield and eventually playing that killer throughball to my star striker. The bad thing is, when my star striker gets 1-1 with the keeper after a brilliant move he tends to miss... :p.

Most of the problems with 2D were nothing to do with the 2D-ness (is that a word) of the game but the match engine underneath. The only difference is you could see it.

The engine under the 3D graphics has been improved dramatically and tried & tested with FM Live. The improvement over FM08 should be plain to (for)see. Looking forward to seeing this.

Oh, and craigy18181 "I will not miss watching my 30 million pound striker miss from 6 yards about 30 times a season " -- I'm sure Jose felt the same way when he lost his job at Chelski.

I won't miss nor be happy to see the back of anything from a 2d perspective since anything that hasn't been fixed in the match engine (an engine which is separate to the method chosen to view it anyway) will be there still whether I watch it in 2d or 3d. Conversely anything that has been fixed that annoyed me will be fixed in the 2d view equally as in the 3d view.

i will not miss watching my 30 million pound striker miss from 6 yards about 30 times a season with no defenders around him. Now with 3D i will get to watch his much crapness is more detail :D

dont you just want to strangle thier dot there and then when they do that? strangle em until the dot turns blue... :D

my worst has to be all the times a crap midfielder/striker would come up against me and score a screaming curled shot past my world class keeper from outside the area...

..........to be accompanied with commentary stating "so-and-so scores his first goal of the season" in MARCH! :mad:

Most memorable 2D moment for me was on FM07 with Lyon, 2-1 down to Liverpool in the champions league final and i decided to throw sylvian wiltord on with 10 mins to go only for him to score on 90 minutes and then go on to get a hattrick in extra time in his last game before retirement!!! It was emotional

I don't think the 2D representation is dead just yet, 3D might be crap.

That was the feeling when the 2D match was first unveiled. For some it seems that, as Soccer AM said..... Change is not Good.

The 3D engine will be accepted very quickly and there will be a minimal amount of people that dont like it, probably through stubbornness.

Archived