Get your priorities right!

They don't have a choice really. In competitive internationals the national side gets first dibs - like the African Cup of Nations. I believe there timeframe is they can call a player up 10 days before the first competitive match, although I've seen national sides reduce that to 7 days for special circumstances. Of course, in practice a national side COULD reduce that call-up time further, but it's unlikely to happen. The only reason the player won't be called up is because of injuries, which means you won't get to play them either.

A player turning down a call up can effectively rule himself out of future selection. David Bentley's was in doubt when he turned down the U21 tournament last year. Since proven unfounded but imagine him turning down a full callup because of tiredness?

They don't have a choice really. In competitive internationals the national side gets first dibs - like the African Cup of Nations. I believe there timeframe is they can call a player up 10 days before the first competitive match, although I've seen national sides reduce that to 7 days for special circumstances. Of course, in practice a national side COULD reduce that call-up time further, but it's unlikely to happen. The only reason the player won't be called up is because of injuries, which means you won't get to play them either.

A player turning down a call up can effectively rule himself out of future selection. David Bentley's was in doubt when he turned down the U21 tournament last year. Since proven unfounded but imagine him turning down a full callup because of tiredness?

Right, but being featured in a FA or CL final will surely have an impact on the decision of the FA to call up a player.

Irl the club would talk to the FA and if the player is indeed important to the club team, the FA will happily refrain from calling up the player as it wouldn't further his carreer.

Right, but being featured in a FA or CL final will surely have an impact on the decision of the FA to call up a player.

Irl the club would talk to the FA and if the player is indeed important to the club team, the FA will happily refrain from calling up the player as it wouldn't further his carreer.

you are right but this has an issue for many years. I remember years ago if you managed in Italy and got to the cup final 3/4's of your team would be away on international duty and you had to field u18's in the final. Not sure if this was meant to happen but it did. Don't do italy anymore so not sure if that still happens.

Yeah, it absolutely is an issue in game. Didn't mean to say anything else, though it has become better.

Anyway, any U19 first-team regulars in my teams always had a higher international status than just U19, so I never experienced this issue in big matches.

The worst thing I remember is that all international players at big tournaments were completely unfit in the latter stages and you could hardly field anyone anymore. Yet the opponents just played their 66% match fitness superstars who were still fit enough to beat my 90% match fitness benchwarmers :(

As long as I've played enough games to warrant a medal, I would rather represent my country.

Well your one of the few, I can't see any player choosing an international game over a CL final that they would be a key figure of.

I remember having a game in FM06/07 where, after about 30 seasons, I got TNS into the champions league final!

Only to realise that the Welsh season ends in April.

All of my players were at around 60% fitness!

All that work down the pan..to say I was annoyed is an understatement..

I remember having a game in FM06/07 where, after about 30 seasons, I got TNS into the champions league final!

Only to realise that the Welsh season ends in April.

....surely after 30 seasons you'd know when theseason ended....;)

Just kidding, pal. Sounds like a serious kick in the teeth, wat was the score incidentally?

....surely after 30 seasons you'd know when theseason ended....;)

Just kidding, pal. Sounds like a serious kick in the teeth, wat was the score incidentally?

I lost about 4-0 or something to Barcelona.

I figured that if I actually got into the champions league final then they wouldn't go on holiday in April :D Because previously i'd only made it to quarter final at best :(

I figured that if I actually got into the champions league final then they wouldn't go on holiday in April :D

....players work ethics these days, eh?!

Back to the point, I guess much of the problem is the fact that, yes, the FA's of the nations could force the player to attend and the game just simply isn't set-up to take into account the human aspects of the issue that would make sure it wouldn't happen (eg: the negotiotions between club and country, and the players desire to play in the CL final).

I lost about 4-0 or something to Barcelona.

I figured that if I actually got into the champions league final then they wouldn't go on holiday in April :D Because previously i'd only made it to quarter final at best :(

Surely that was a bug - they shouldn't go on holiday until the final competitive fixture of your schedule.

I remember in FM'05, the date that your players ceased training and went on holiday was up to you - it was available in the team options .. don't know if that was the case in FM'06, but its certainly gone in FM'07 and FM'08.

Archived