FM blamed for Sherman Cardenas' unfilfulment on BBC Sport

Well not really blamed but mentioned on Tim Vickerys column on BBC Football Website:-

Speaking of Colombia's footballers [the subject of last week's piece] what happened to the highly rated young player called Sherman Cardenas? Mihir Bose

I think he's suffered a bit from an unfairly inflated reputation. He got in the first team at Bucaramanga, a relatively small provincial Colombian side, very early. He showed some talent and then I believe was awarded a high value by the Football Manager game (I'm a bit like Alfio Basile with this new fangled technology). He's still developing, and his progress would be seen as perfectly satisfactory if it wasn't for this unrealistic expectation which had been created. I watched him at length last year in the South American Under-20 Championships, and though he came up with flashes, he looked very lightweight and, understandably, well away from being the finished article. He's young enough to participate in the next version of the tournament in January - I'm hoping we might see something good from him then.

It would be funny if in 09, you got a message saying, "Your promising, star youngster, (insert name) development has dramtacally decreased, after the media including a best selling game, Football Manager rated him very highly and he now thinks that he doesn't have to train hard or try and develop his skills."

Ha! I looked him up on Facebook, there's about seven people named Sherman Cardenas - two with the same picture of the Shermanator holding a football who I highly doubt are actually him, just sad people with nothing better to do than pose as him. But if it is real, then that's pretty funny & I'm sure more than half of his friends will be FM players rather than real friends.

Speaking of Colombians, heard Freddy Guarin's name when watching the highights in the Champions League a few weeks ago - he's moved to Porto!

Probably be saying the same thing about Bogdan Stancu next year.

i very much doubt that seeing as he is based in South America and blogs about football in that part of the world, and is very highly respected. He also writes for World Soccer magazine. If you read the blog you will see that he is saying that the game over-rating him enabled him to gain a wider celebrity.

It's the same everyweek, people always asking questions about players they have found on FM who are rubbish in real life. The problem is FM doesn't make the best players in real life good on the game.

Probably be saying the same thing about Bogdan Stancu next year.

I am from Romania, and I must say that Stancu is way overrated in FM, IRL he is slow, unambitious and has low stamina. I watch him play almost every week and I know what I'm talking about, he is far from becoming a star player, and still in my FM game Barcelona paid 20mil euros for him.

I don't think FM influences the life and career of players like him or Cardenas, is just that FM researchers sometimes give too much credit to some youngsters who turn out to be crap irl.

Archived