Is determination so important?

I've read some posts about determination and its effects on the game, and most of them said that it was one of the most important attributes in the game, and sometimes the difference between a good and a fantastic player. So, let's say, for example, that player A has good technique and great determination, and player B has high quality technique and low determination, whom of both would you sign for your team? How much importance does determination have?

I remember that someone did a test of "Mr Physical, Mr Technical and Mr Mental", giving each player high stats in one of the areas and mediocre ones in the others. Mr Mental turned out to be by far the best of the three in terms of ratings. All of the mental stats are very useful, and determination is one of the most useful of them. I also look for Workrate, Off the ball and anticipation - and of course positioning for defenders, GK and DM, Teamwork for mids, flair and composure for AMs and strikers. Decisions can be useful as well - but finding a player with all of these is obviously pretty difficult.

IMHO, Determination is far and away the most important mental attribute in the game.

I always aim to sign players with high determination in order to eventually achieve a "Squad Personality" of Determined/Very Determined.

Once I have a squad such as this, you'd be amazed how often I come back from 1, 2 and even 3 goals down.

A real life example would be the current Liverpool team - they just don't know when they are beat.

I'm in the Determination camp, as well - I usually won't sign a player without it.

However, I did once sign a physical / technical player with "1" Determination, who had struggled for ratings with his previous team. In my Determined lineup, he was absolutely stellar.

Also of note is, with young players, you can often tutor them with a Determined veteran and work their Determination up.

Finally, Determination is one of the things you should think about while giving your team talks and media expectations. Your Determined players are more likely to respond well to "Expect a Win", "Expect a Performance", "Pick Up Where You Left Off", "Disappointed", "I want to see more out of you", "Prove a Point!", and media criticism.

Low Determination players need a different treatment: more "Encourage", "I have faith", "No pressure", downplaying your chances of victory, and media praise.

So, whichever way you go, you want to commit to it: where you'll struggle the worst is with lineups that are inconsistent in terms of personality. That's when you get half the team having a positive PR to a media comment, while the other half have a negative PR.

It's always important for me. If I'm in charge of a top prem team, obviously you try to get 20 in key attributes and I wont settle for less than 18. It's the same with determination, I may allow 17 but no less.

Same goes for my staff too, I try to get 15+ determination for my coaches, scouts and physios.

Not sure if its as important for staff but thats just me.

I'm in the Determination camp, as well - I usually won't sign a player without it.

However, I did once sign a physical / technical player with "1" Determination, who had struggled for ratings with his previous team. In my Determined lineup, he was absolutely stellar.

Also of note is, with young players, you can often tutor them with a Determined veteran and work their Determination up.

Finally, Determination is one of the things you should think about while giving your team talks and media expectations. Your Determined players are more likely to respond well to "Expect a Win", "Expect a Performance", "Pick Up Where You Left Off", "Disappointed", "I want to see more out of you", "Prove a Point!", and media criticism.

Low Determination players need a different treatment: more "Encourage", "I have faith", "No pressure", downplaying your chances of victory, and media praise.

So, whichever way you go, you want to commit to it: where you'll struggle the worst is with lineups that are inconsistent in terms of personality. That's when you get half the team having a positive PR to a media comment, while the other half have a negative PR.

You said that there, almost as if you knew what you were talking about. ;)

Well said Amaroq. :thup:

Yeah, I was very frustrated with team-talks and media handling until I figured that last paragraph out. :D

It's my belief that with FM08 in it's current guise, you could over-achieve with virtually ANY team as long as you handled the media, team talks, morale and player interaction correctly.

Correct me if I'm wrong....

determination is very important to me too.....my current save is with chelsea, and most of the players I have have a rating of 14 or more.....so far, I'm top of the table with a bunch of games where I needed a late goal to get a result....

In particular, i had a game against newly promoted Watford, where they had 8 shots to my 1 at the half.....I told them I was angry, and dropped back into a counterattack formation, and we won 4-0. I know my tactics switch made a difference, but I also attribute it to the team's determination/

Not sure if it's just my imagination but I find my defenders play better when they have high determination. Perhaps it's the "hanging on" aspect, but I've frequently had CBs with inferior technical stats outperforming their more skillful colleagues and the only big difference is their determination.

Archived