what does 'hold up ball' mean?

Means exactly what it says: Hold up the ball.

Like the others have already said, Target Men like Heskey receive the ball and hold onto it, shielding it from opponents until attackers are in position to receive a through ball etc...

Off the top of my head....

Think Dimitar Berbatov, Teddy Sheringham, Eric Cantona (sort of), Emile Heskey, Julio Cruz, Francesco Totti (in recent years), Didier Drogba (although he's a bit more of an all-round striker).

Arsenal could do with a player of this type. Adebayor is often wrongly described as this sort of player, simply because he is tall.

Think Dimitar Berbatov, Teddy Sheringham, Eric Cantona (sort of), Emile Heskey, Julio Cruz, Francesco Totti (in recent years), Didier Drogba (although he's a bit more of an all-round striker).

Arsenal could do with a player of this type. Adebayor is often wrongly described as this sort of player, simply because he is tall.

I would say out of the ones you mention Berbatov and Heskey are the best examples. Drogba played this kind of role when he came to Chelsea, but not so much the last few seasons.

Bendtner could be like that for Arsenal, but it doesn't suit their style of play really.

also it means if you pick a ball up and hold it above your head, it might be said you are "holding up a ball". Its easy these footballing terms.

This made me laugh as I imagined it in my head and it seemed funny. I sound like a maniac now but oh well.

he holds the ball up and he dribbles so it's not wrong to say he holds it up, he plays with his back to goal alot unless he comes deep to get it

Archived