Why do I suck at this game?

Heya experts, just want a bit of advice on the game.

I'm managing a Brentford team, (I've got no interest at starting my career at the top) I managed to get promoted in the first season with a bit of cheating (save/load/win) but I really want to play the game properly in the second season.

I hardly regard myself as a footballing genius but I do think I've got a fairly decent knowledge of the game. I captained a team all the way through my teams (in real life of course) and still play occasionally. I don't really understand the "language" of the game, I've managed to cobble together a tactic that can occasionally net me some results but whenever I change things round the team seems to do something completely random and not what I intended at all and I get clobbered.

I think I've put together a pretty decent team (though finding defensive cover in the lower leagues other than loans seems to be very hard, and my defensive loans seem to be playing pretty crap, I've hardly kept a clean sheet all season) though I feel I may have gone too much for youth and not enough for experience. After a string of defeats having tried to change my tactics I said screw this I need help. So if any of you could point me to a guide or have a gander at my saved game and see what you'd switch around it would be greatly apprechiated cheers.

I think if you're completely new to this game tactics can be a bit confusing.

Perhaps you want to just start off with a plain old 4-4-2 or 4-3-3 (possibly 5-4-1 if you have few strikers in squad).

In this game, mental stats get better the older you are. Physical stats usually peak 20-30 years old. This means, that generally you want slightly older defenders, and young(-ish) strikers.

Try finding a CB with high Tackling, Marking/Positioning, Jumping, Work-Rate and Anticipation. Or just 2 or 3 of these if you have no luck searching.

Look for strikers with high Finishing, Pace, Acceleration, Composure.......

You get the drift :)

Generally you're team should get younger as you get further up the pitch. This isn't always true, as you can get extremely talented defenders (Richards at City) and ever-green strikers (Inzaghi for AC Milan).

Ancient GK, old defenders, 20-30 year old midfield, 25 years or younger strikers.

Very generalizing, but sort of just to give you an idea mate ;)

Take a look at the following thread:

http://community.sigames.com/showthread.php?t=50797

Amaroq gives a bunch of useful advice there as well as links to a few good threads to read for further advice.

Wow, thanks glamdring! That gave me a big smile to read.

The other link I'd offer is the Unofficial Tactics Bible - its a thread full of links to other threads. Plenty of good stuff there.

You might also see:

Some newbie questions - its quite a long thread following an individual from not really understanding how to play FM to some very detailed strategies later on.

Archived