This Must Stop!!

I draw everyones attention and in particular the SI team to this website - http://football-updates.com/index.htm

I have Pmd staff members here at SI Games, and I have also contacted them directly on the SI website. Frankly I am disappointed that nothing has been done about this. Not only is the guy an ass by stealing everyone elses work and claiming it as his own, but by SELLING graphical images of club logos and faces, he is breaking many many copyright laws. He also sells these discs on Ebay and I have reported him there also and nothing has been done about it either. Does no-one care anymore?

Something MUST be done about this guy and his website, it must be torn down from the interweb. I now urge you again SI Games, please get onto the case of this.

SDK

Does anyone know what graphics that guy has on his disc?

I'm the lawyer of a big club and if he has our logo on there, we might send our external lawyers (those with the high fees) after him :)

Feel free to pm me if you have good info :)

Report it to piracy@sigames.com

I highly doubt that SI can do anything about it as logos, etc are outside of their control. The only people that could complain are the owners of the material or the people that created the packs for FM. Even then I am not sure what they could do as I am not sure if they would have any copyright protection as they will have used material owned by clubs that they will not have asked permission for.

I feel the only ones who could complain are the clubs and if they were able to stop this, could they then stop everyone else from using their logos, etc.

What a tool that guy is! Mind you the bit that I can't get my head around is that poeple actually pay for his stuff when there is so much available from here and sortitout? I didn't really look but how much is he actually charging/fleecing people for?

I know for a fact that the E2G logos are on the disc as they are in all his screenshots, and as most clubs were done in this style, Im pretty sure that most (if not all) clubs will be on his disc. Other than that I dont know tbh, but The guy is a knob. SI Games should be doing more about this I feel, I can only report it. I mean its fair enough that we all make new styles of logos for our enjoyment of the game, but this guy is selling copyrighted material for his own gain. That IS illegal.

SDK

I think it shows initiative haha .. Fair play .. Milk it why you can mate then run for your financial life..

Some nice gfx on there.. would be nice to get them implemented to the boring backdrops we have to endure!!

Feel free to flame me! ;)

I think it shows initiative haha .. Fair play .. Milk it why you can mate then run for your financial life..

Some nice gfx on there.. would be nice to get them implemented to the boring backdrops we have to endure!!

Feel free to flame me! ;)

Ok Knock-off Nigel! Would be interesting how you would feel if it was your work he was using to make a cheap and illegal buck

I highly doubt that SI can do anything about it as logos, etc are outside of their control. The only people that could complain are the owners of the material or the people that created the packs for FM. Even then I am not sure what they could do as I am not sure if they would have any copyright protection as they will have used material owned by clubs that they will not have asked permission for.

I feel the only ones who could complain are the clubs and if they were able to stop this, could they then stop everyone else from using their logos, etc.

Well, first of all there is at least one club alerted now. I also just forwarded this to my mate at the German Football League whose logo is crearly visible on the screenshots.

Also, SI can go after them as well as their patches are on that DVD as well (to which they, or SEGA, own the copyright).

:)

I'm from Pompey mate.. Everything is knocked off down here.. Including my Mrs I expect!

I'm not going to comment on that! But as I said I'm not sure you would be very happy if it was your work that someone else was profiting from!

Well, first of all there is at least one club alerted now. I also just forwarded this to my mate at the German Football League whose logo is crearly visible on the screenshots.

Also, SI can go after them as well as their patches are on that DVD as well (to which they, or SEGA, own the copyright).

:)

I agree that the selling of the material is wrong, but the creation of a DVD of freely available information is not. The clubs must be content to allow FM users to download their kits, logos, etc to use in game otherwise they would have pulled the plug on 3rd party packs along time ago. SI have no license to produce the graphic packs so we are left hoping that someone can produce something, but they are unlikely to have asked the permission of the clubs to produce the material.

The patches are also made freely available by SI and having them on a CD to give to someone else is not illegal. I am not sure even if selling the CD to someone would be illegal as there is no EULA within the patch so there is no copyright to breach.

All the information that he has on the CD is freely available on the web so someone buying it from him would be a mug.

^^ Making them available isn't the problem, profiting from it by asking people to pay is definately illegal!

Plus,

"All the information that he has on the CD is freely available on the web so someone buying it from him would be a mug."

Remember that teenagers play this game and might not know any better.

The difference is that for us user and players of the game that create new logo styles etc do it to enhance our own gaming experiences. We do not do it to make a profit and we dont sell their logos onto other people. He IS selling them and by doing so he is breaking copyright laws of all the club logos and player faces he is selling. THATS the difference, its got nothing to do with the actual CREATION of the logos themselves IMHO. Perhaps our lawyer friend from above can clarify that for us? But I agree why pay for something that you can download for free...

SDK

That thread started out in here I think, so making another one probably won't do much good.

As said above, if it concerns you that much report it to piracy@sigames.com.

A thread about it was started out in the skinning hideout a few weeks ago and one was here yesterday or the day previously before it was closed.

I agree that the selling of the material is wrong, but the creation of a DVD of freely available information is not. The clubs must be content to allow FM users to download their kits, logos, etc to use in game otherwise they would have pulled the plug on 3rd party packs along time ago. SI have no license to produce the graphic packs so we are left hoping that someone can produce something, but they are unlikely to have asked the permission of the clubs to produce the material.

The patches are also made freely available by SI and having them on a CD to give to someone else is not illegal. I am not sure even if selling the CD to someone would be illegal as there is no EULA within the patch so there is no copyright to breach.

All the information that he has on the CD is freely available on the web so someone buying it from him would be a mug.

Giving away a piece of software for free does not equal to waiving ones copyright. I can at any time go after someone who spreads my works without my consent. SI can be deemed to have consented to any free distribution but selling it for money is actionable without any EULA.

As far as trademarks are concerned, their use for commercial purposes is easily actionable. This is the case here (and indeed the German Football League has told me they will now go after that guy).

If we haven't gone after other guys making available our logos this may have very different reasons which are of rather political nature. (also EA have the exclusive license, it is their economic harm, not ours, so I see no need to protect their interests as long as they don't do it themselves).

Most of this staff can be found in the net for free , apart from being illegal it only targets lets say not very informed audience .

It's also been available on ebay fo a while - probably the source this guy used and simply copied.

Just a query. Surely, the primary issue here is between the authors of the material being distributed for a cost and the guy doing this, not between him and the FA/Clubs/etc.

Arguably, the current creation of club/competiton logos, etc, and their distribution for free, across the FM community is a breach of copyrights, etc, anyway. So be careful what you encourage, I'd say.

I don't see a problem here, you don't have to buy anything from him

True, but some people obviously have and therefore he is making money illegally! If he was re-distributing it for free then I don't suppose most people would care, at the end of the day as has been stated earlier in the thread most of this is available free from these forums or sortitout.

Just a query. Surely, the primary issue here is between the authors of the material being distributed for a cost and the guy doing this, not between him and the FA/Clubs/etc.

Arguably, the current creation of club/competiton logos, etc, and their distribution for free, across the FM community is a breach of copyrights, etc, anyway. So be careful what you encourage, I'd say.

That is precisely what I was trying to get at. Although I agree that what he is doing is not ethical (its legality I will leave to those who know the law) the main gripe seems to be that those that produce this stuff for free are seeing their work been sold by someone else without their consent. This therefore is an issue with the producers of the material and this guy and not directly with the clubs involved and this guy. The issue of the clubs being unhappy cannot be down to the fact that someone is selling the same material that is also free. It is not one rule for one guy and one rule for another. The stuff is the same, so copyright breach or trademark infringement applies in both cases whether the material is supplied free or at a cost.

Therefore if the clubs deem him to be wrong in producing this disc, free or otherwise, then those that produced the material he has copied are also in breach of the same copyright or trademark and would also have to be punished. It could also lead to there being no graphical material produced outside of the licenses that SI have gained without the express consent of the clubs, FA, players, etc.

To be fair the guy isn't tecnically doing anythng wrong is he? With the exception of including SI's official udates.

Im not sure if the people who make all the graphics, (kits, logo's, facepacks, etc.), have their work copyrighted, if not then the guy can distribute them. Also tactics that people design are not copyrighted, so there isn't much you can do to stop them being distributed in this manner.

He is just hitting on an idea that no one else has come up with - putting all the external stuff for the FM experience into one handy place, and charging a fee for his work in doing so.

To be fair the guy isn't tecnically doing anythng wrong is he? With the exception of including SI's official udates.

Im not sure if the people who make all the graphics, (kits, logo's, facepacks, etc.), have their work copyrighted, if not then the guy can distribute them. Also tactics that people design are not copyrighted, so there isn't much you can do to stop them being distributed in this manner.

He is just hitting on an idea that no one else has come up with - putting all the external stuff for the FM experience into one handy place, and charging a fee for his work in doing so.

I am entirely sure about the legality of it but surely he could have asked for permission to use everything he has.

To be fair the guy isn't tecnically doing anythng wrong is he?

Yes.

The data concerned has been made available for free distribution by those who have created it.

If he further distributed it for free, there is no problem.

He does not have permission to distribute this data on a payment basis.

The fact that he has obtained it freely, and it can be obtained freely by anybody else, is completely irrelevant.

True, but some people obviously have and therefore he is making money illegally! If he was re-distributing it for free then I don't suppose most people would care, at the end of the day as has been stated earlier in the thread most of this is available free from these forums or sortitout.

but if the same stuff is available for free then people are just paying for their own stupidity.

give lad abreak you scumbabs just because it would take you your life just to do this jelous little small minded bastards plus theres loads of them one gue sells them on ebay hes just trying to do pleople a favor divs

It's you, isn't it? Why I oughta! :D

Archived